40-Something January 2013 Chat!

You're on Page 7 of 26
Go to
  • SeeMyFeet~to transition, I would try to eat as little processed food as possible, if you're going to go back to bread, whole grains, there are low carb wraps/tortillas available.

I went back to smoothie for breakfast (baby spinach, almond milk, banana, wheat germ and homemade peanut butter), we're doing a 2 day reboot/juice fast, low sodium V8 for lunch and snack, carrot, apple, etc. juice for dinner.

Bought a big package of frozen flounder at Sam's, also going back to eating more veggies, gotta get those nutrients in.

Someone I used to work with does the Paleo diet, I think the key is to try and eat or use whole foods not processed, today is my later day to go in, still, better get moving.

Zumba~I'm a lifetime member of WW as well, my plan is to get to WW goal and go back to meetings once a month (free at goal) to help with maintenance, just an extra accountability getting weighed by someone else.

best to all
  • @twinieten - you're right. I decided to face the scale music this morning. Not as horrifying as I was beginning to believe, but I put on about 5 pounds this holiday season. I was at 146.6 Actually am surprised it's not worse, given that I hardly exercised at all and was on an eating bender for about 2 weeks straight!

Have a happy Monday (as happy as possible), all!
  • Good morning chickies! I broke down last night and totally binged out on cookies....I didn't even like the cookies that much. I also had popcorn. I hate those out of control moments.....The stress of divorce is weighing me down and I just can't get a grip on things. I started the day today with a nice big Atkins breakfast....so........let's hope I can keep this up....Teaching two classes this morning and as much as I dread it I"m happy when it is over.....It is going to be a busy day today....having coffee and bracing myself for it..LOL....have a good day everyone!!
  • Mornin' Ladies,

Well...I don't know if this Atkins experiment is causing me to stall, or if this is my natural "cycle". I seem to have a mini-stall every 3.5 wks....could be related to my other "cycle"....dunno...haven't been at this long enough. Kelijpa: I do not eat processed food...not using bars/shakes. I am a home cook--make my own bread/pie crust...rarely eat cereal (granola)... I have a farmer friend who supplies us with goodies...I do buy noodles and frozen veggies...and I don't have a sweet tooth. My biggest vice (in the diet area) is liquid donuts...my little act of rebellion...but I have that under control as well....at some point I need to grow up and give that up completely...

You go Zumba! Way to get back on track! I know this is an emotional time for you... look up and look forward...you have friends and people who love you...keep them around you right now!

After stepping on the scale, I was tempted to quit this regimen, but I'll give it a few more days...I suppose the bounces are getting smaller...perhaps due to salt regulation?.....I cannot live with the brain fog, so I have to modify the plan to fit me....
  • Ran 5K this morning - now heading into the lions den - wish me luck!
  • Ugh...scale is way up...163.6..that is 10 pounds in a month I feel so depressed.
  • Sum:

Found this quote for you:

“Get Off The Scale!

You are beautiful. Your beauty, just like your capacity for life, happiness, and success, is immeasurable. Day after day, countless people across the globe get on a scale in search of validation of beauty and social acceptance.

Get off the scale! I have yet to see a scale that can tell you how enchanting your eyes are. I have yet to see a scale that can show you how wonderful your hair looks when the sun shines its glorious rays on it. I have yet to see a scale that can thank you for your compassion, sense of humor, and contagious smile. Get off the scale because I have yet to see one that can admire you for your perseverance when challenged in life.

It’s true, the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That’s it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don’t give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life. You are beautiful!”

― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
  • Sum!! Sorry. I don't want to tell you to not be depressed, because I would be too. I'm depressed over my gain, which seems to bounce between 4-6 pounds. But now you know where you are and you can focus on getting it back off. It shouldn't take too long considering it's probably mostly water.

Meanwhile, olehcat, I'm glad you are happy with your smaller than expected gain! And that you finally faced your scale. I'm such an avoider, so I know how hard it can be.

Sheila! Nice job on the 5K!

Zumba, sorry, i can't imagine the stress. Wouldn't it be nice if the stress motivated us to work out instead of eat or sleep? Why does it always end up being about food? For awhile there, I'd start feeling blue if I missed too many workouts, but I'd still be more inclined to eat my feelings rather than exercise them away. I wonder why that is? Well, back on track for you. If you didn't eat the cookies, you wouldn't have figured out that they just aren't all that good.

I did a metabolic test at my gym today where they find your best workout heart rate, to burn the most fat, and then the program helps to improve fitness level. It measured heart rate, to determine my target heart rate, and my VO2 (Volume O2) which I'm not sure what it means but mine was 20 at the lowest heart rate. I hope it works. I just want to lose the belly fat. I just want to look good. I could care less about health and whatever. I want to be hot! I'm so vain. I think I'll go to a Tae Kwon Do class tonight. I really want to finish what I started a couple of years ago.
  • Hello, all! I love you ladies - you keep me going and voice the thoughts going on in my own head. Went for a 2 mile jog today - I was huffing and puffing but I kept going. It felt so good to be outside - even saw my deer friends in the woods off the trail. It was cold, but I needed to get back into the outdoors.

I just feel like I am having those "midlife" thoughts about all the things I didn't accomplish and all the times I procrastinated and all the times I let "haters and naysayers" get me down. I feel like if I can accomplish my weight loss goals, than I can move on to accomplish other goals in my life. Is it wrong to hinge one on the other?

I don't know.

Eating hasn't been great over the weekend. Trying to get back in the saddle today.

Good luck today, everyone! You all are such an inspiration.
  • Thank you ladies You rock!! Sorry that I am feeling so negative; this too shall pass!! Today is my second day doing slimfast plan.

I am just bummed out because I am going home in 2 weeks and I will arrive there as a cow I was sooo hoping to be fit and trim. -- But going home is stressing me out (mom issues ) and it has made me over eat for a month now, and Xmas did not help either....
  • :hugs: to all
    we went out for our planned pizza, and antipasto, 1 beer, up 2 lbs...yeesh
    1st day of juice fast going ok, the breakfast smoothie was great, I'm so in the habit of grabbing a pack of peanuts or something, it's an adjustment just not eating something.

Sum~you've got 2 weeks to work with, make the best of them, 163 or 4 at our height isn't that bad, it's just that you've gotten used to being smaller so it seems worse, some days I feel fatter or like my belly is bigger and I've lost 30...makes no sense...

Guac~I think it's the time of the year for self-reflection, for us that means some focusing on what we haven't done instead of what we have done, got a newsletter today at work that's all about focusing on the positive to achieve your goals, I sent it home so I could share some of it later.

best to all

I miss Lizard
  • kelijpa - looking forward to the newsletter insights.....feeling rather melancholy today.
  • New to Forum
    Hi Ladies: first time on this forum - would like to join for some support. I've been very depressed lately and I'm hoping that eating right and getting back on track will lift my spirits. Hope everyone has a happy and successful 2013.

I'm starting over again after giving up in October after a really good start. Failure is not an option this time. Feeling the way I do is not living, it's existing.
  • Quote: Hi Ladies: first time on this forum - would like to join for some support. I've been very depressed lately and I'm hoping that eating right and getting back on track will lift my spirits. Hope everyone has a happy and successful 2013.
    Welcome! it's amazing how shedding a few pounds can lift your spirits and improve how you feel about yourself!
  • Good Morning all the lovely ladies of the 40-something board!!!

Had a very busy, busy day at work yesterday. Ate healthy, drank plenty of water...didn't get my walk in, but I was running all over the shop thanks to the boss only putting 3 people on the schedule. Sunday's can be really hopping, but he wouldn't know that because he's NEVER around on weekends! UGH!
    I have another busy day on tap. Getting everything out of the way that I won't be able to get done on my next day off, because H will be going in for his monitor. Yup, he gets it on Thurs. so we are wrapping up all the last of the forms & stuff. I already feel that tension knot beginning to build in my neck AGAIN!
    I do plan to go on a walk this afternoon. It's not going to be easy, it's not going to be "pretty", but I'm going to get a lot of things done! I want Thurs to go as smooth as possible. I know it's just a monitor but H is nervous. I think it's the idea of what it might find & where it will lead from there. We KNOW he needs a pacemaker, but will something else be discovered? I'm doing all I can to keep him positive, calm & relaxed.

I'm sorry I don't have time to catch up with everyone right now. I just wanted to pop in & say, "I'm thinking of you guys!"

BE HEALTHY! BE GOOD! YOU ARE ALL WORTH IT & LET'S ROCK THIS NEW YEAR!

MOVE IT! MOVE IT! LET'S REACH, REACH, REACH FOR OUR GOALS!

REMEMBER: YOU ARE ALL AWESOME!