Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2013 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 23 of 24
Go to
  • Mostly on Days 14 and 15
    I'm reading ahead, but I've been stuck at Days 14 and 15--making a plan, sticking to it, and marking off deviations.

Today is the first day I've started the day with a detailed, quantity-based plan.

Since I've been reading ahead, even though I'm stuck on planning, I'm going to put too much on my plate tonight--a extra half serving of chicken and a second fruit. And I'm not going to eat either of those. I can do this.

My approach these last 3 weeks has been to only put on my plate what I am supposed to eat. If a serving is 4 pieces of ravioli plus 3/4 cup of marinara, that's what goes on the plate. I don't serve family style anymore--I plate the food in the kitchen and then put it on the table. I think it's also helped me recognize "full" since I've given myself enough food to be normal full, but not enough to be overfull. It helps not to have the food in sight.

So, I guess that's why there's the "put extra on your plate and don't eat it" exercise to master, since I won't always have control over how much is put on my plate!

Have a wonderful day everyone!
  • Just had to pop on here with a quick note - a semi-new coworker and I went to lunch today, very early since she'd had an appt and hadn't eaten breakfast. Interesting in that she asked for a gluten-free menu and the choices were slim and so went with nachos. I'd checked the online nutritional info first as the restaurant is not a fave of mine due to limited choice IMO that are healthy (TGIFriday) ... Chose the chicken tortilla soup and house salad, leaving some of both as well as the two breadsticks ...but then had one bite of a breadstick as it was driving me bonkers. But she started in on how heatlhy the gluten-free way is, no candy bars, no cookies, no cupcakes, no no no and the weight will just drop right off. It made me feel as if because of my weight, she assumed that I ate all of that, regularly. Maybe I just took it that way, though. Yes, I do like that stuff, but it certainly has never been a regular part of my diet. I've never been a fast food person. Never been a processed food - mac and cheese from a box - gal. And I thought, that must be what people see when they see me. Not that I try to hike a lot. Not that our meals take a while to prepare since everything starts out fresh. So that's stuck in my mind now. AND I ordered the $7.99 deal that included my drink ... and I'm just NOW realizing that it came to $10.83. HM. I sure wish I'd have looked closer and caught that.
  • Bootedkitty: I love eating by myself. Then it can be just some veggies and cottage cheese. It is a good habit to get into.
    nationalparker: The best thing I like about Fitnesspal is the scanning function that allows you to take a picture of the barcode and automatically enter it into your food plan.
    IBelieveinMe2: My thesis is a book length collection of short stories semi-autobiographical.
    BethfromDayton:I really appreciate the "the plate overfull skill." It makes me remember I am in the control seat. Food is not stronger than me.

As for me, day was OP except for a snack deviation. DS home sick so we are doing his makeup work. 1 pound down from ticker which is a huger relief since I had been carrying about three pounds of water weight. Easier to say "oh Well" when I like the outcome.
  • Hi all!

I totally forgot I was going to do the extra food on my plate exercise tonight--I remembered part way through dinner. I'll do it tomorrow night. As it was, I didn't finish what was on my plate--too much food. Other than that, I stuck 100% to plan today! I ate exactly what I'd already entered into MyFitnessPal and walked a total of an hour. Credit

I'm really finding that the mindful eating is more enjoyable than eating quickly. Who knew? I'm pleased with that because eating sitting down and eating mindfully are things I know I can keep doing--and actually better than eating without thinking about it. Credit!

I made a lovely salad for lunch for tomorrow, including leftover chicken from tonight's dinner (just as I planned). DD dropped it while putting things in the fridge--it was all over the floor. She was more upset than I was--"oh well"--I guess I'll have a frozen meal for lunch tomorrow instead, along with the cantaloupe I'd measured out. Credit for "oh well".

Tomorrow's meals are all entered into MFP. We're having (homemade) sloppy joes and I'm allowing myself some chips--sloppy joes requires chips. Chips are in my plan for tomorrow. Credit for planning for it. (I'll have to put extra on my plate for the over-exercise--that'll be a temptation.) (A big one)

maryann--Great for being OP with a snack deviation. Hope DS is feeling better soon.

nationalparker--Kudos on finding a lunch meal selection that worked. I'm still looking for restaurants that have reasonable choices that I can plan for. So far, that list consists of Applebee's. It seems that people have pre-conceived notions of what overweight people eat--and no qualms about expressing them. I've been known to put all sorts of veggies into scrambled eggs--zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, as well as the green pepper, onion standards. My BFF also puts in broccoli, but I hate broccls. We enjoyed our walk tonight, too, before the temperatures dropped--snow tonight here, too.

IBelieveinMe2--Thanks for inviting me to your MFP group. I now have two friends (you and DH). Wow--major credits for handling your lunch out and for recognizing underlying issues with fullness. Sometimes recognition is half the battle--identifying the sabotaging thoughts allows you to formulate responses to them. I like that we're at the same relative pace in the book.

Beverlyjoy--Big credits for recognizing all you did right--and credits for recognizing where a problem area is for you--problem areas are easier to attack once they're identified. Do you need to plan an evening snack that will satisfy you--perhaps even prepare it when you're cleaning up after dinner so it's ready at snack time? Having something to look towards (the planned snack) might make it easier to avoid an unplanned/off-plan snack.

BillBE--I love your quotes, especially since that's about where I am right now. Credit for shoveling--for just an inch, we don't bother. After all these years on maintenance, I was wondering--do you still do a specific, every food and quantity written down plan every day?

I can't tell all of you enough how much having a group to report to makes a difference--thanks so much.
  • Hey Coaches and Becksters!

Weighing in tomorrow--admittedly I put it off after the first weekend of Mardi Gras (Thank God, we split up Carnival this year with the Super Bowl, or I would have been reading response cards while trying to catch beads and coconuts). The past three days have been pretty much OP, and I feel good. Plus, I'm on Day 36 of Beck, which asks you to write "Believe It," progress reports and remind yourself of your new behaviors and mindsets.

Regardless of what I weigh tomorrow, I know I've come a long way in the past six weeks. Sorry, but I really didn't intend the pun.

I hope everyone is doing well. Until that time...
  • Thursday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – I messed up. I knew that I'd be at Costco when I'd normally have lunch so I planned to have a hot dog. I'm always lured by their inexpensive food and always just walk right by. So, I'd just plan to have one. Once. Before ordering, I saw that for $1.50 it came with a 20 oz drink - WITH REFILL! Good grief. I don't want 20 ozs of sugar water, much less 40 ounces. This led to the wise(?) decision to have the Italian sausage instead that cost more but didn't include the soda. Felt like I'd done something smart since getting my Italian sausage hit keeps me away from them for about a year. I opened it up to add mustard - it must have weighed a pound. So BIG. Ouch. If I'd been at home I'd have saved half. If I really worked my Beck Strategies I'd have tossed half of it. I ate it all. Double Ouch.

In 65 Fahrenheit weather I took my walk to the library. So nice. Good news is that I returned a book that I had decided not to read. Even that seems to push against my must-read-every-page syndrome even though I can just get it back if I'm open to reading it later. But I picked up three books from the suggested reading list for my class which will occupy all free time for a spell.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for a health food store as a diversion from eating.

Beverlyjoy – Yep, being 'mad' ... is such a waste of energy."

silverbirch – Thanks for the help, #insatiablycurious, those images on google of 'playground roundabouts' brought back memories. Our playground at school had one and it would get quite full. I was welcome because I liked to push and not everyone did. Hope all is going well with you. And that you will be able to survive nine months of the intimate details of royal pregnancy. It probably wasn't allowed in the British press that the Dutch Queen, though healthy as a horse, just abdicated in favor of her son. Be well.

maryann - LOL at "Easier to say "oh Well" when I like the outcome." Hope DS recovers quickly.

BigchiefDavid – Good luck to you for the next two weeks. Even our newspapers are full of King Cake recipes and pictures.

nationalparker – Thanks for sending us your warmer weather. Three miles with dog and DH in 55 degree F warmth is terrific for late January.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Plating the amount of food I plan to eat works for me. When food sits on the table family style, my 'satisfied' feeling never arrives. Good luck with the experiment to leave food on your plate. [I've done the global one-plan-for-all-days that Beck suggests at the end of her book. I use only a couple of breakfasts and lunches; use strategies at restaurants and pot lucks; and eat measured portions of whatever DW prepares for dinner. So it's easy for me.]

IBelieveInMe2 – Thanks for "feeling safe and protected from discomfort" - I seem to overwork that one, also. Being a little tired, cold, hot, or bored are not emergencies either. Kudos for turning down that tomato soup. [OUCH, indeed, for unplanned desserts that just appear after a planned meal.]

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 3
    How Thin People Think

characteristic 3
    You Like the Feeling of Being Full

. . . You, however, might feel uncomfortable if you stop eating at that same point. There are three possible reasons you feel this way:
    • One, you may be concerned that you'll get hungry again before the next meal.
    • Two, you may feel deprived if you don't eat as much as you want.
    • Three, you may have grown accustomed to eating much greater quantities than is healthy. Indeed, you may label the degree of fullness you feel after an overly large meal as "normal" when you've actually eaten to the point of overfullness.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 35.
  • Hi coaches... yesterday was mostly healthy. I did another 'bend, lift & twist' with resulting back pain. This is exasperating. Everyday I do stretches and strenthening for my back. I have done this for years. Yet, still I don't have alot of strength. It's very exasperating. So I took my medicine. One makes me feel a little loopy at first.

I did eat extra with the pain. But, I had some credits too. I planned and logged food, read arc, exercises, checked here, ate slower, and always left a bite.

I am making my plan and am facing the day with hope.

I hope you all have a great day.
  • Good morning! Temps turned quickly yesterday. After homemade pizza dinner (that fit in perfectly with my calorie allotment and makes me feel SO successful), I did the treadmill for a bit, then came out and asked DH if he wanted to bundle up and hit the trail. I put on two layers of long underwear and jeans, boots, etc. Even put two coats on our dog, who still returned home covered with ice on her tummy. 18 with the wind chill and it was gusting 35 mph. I know that's nothing to our Canadian friends, but it made me long for the beach. I kept thinking, I've got to get SOME benefit from this...

Cold day today, and have dr. appt. to get a spot that's changing checked to make sure all's okay. Took the first available appointment and I'm getting out RIGHT at the height of rush hour. Listening to "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand and it's riveting, so I will embrace the long return trip.
  • Hi Coaches!

My mom came into work yesterday with 2 tickets to the NBA basketball game last night. Of course, I was the designated driver, since she doesn't go out at night. I made an alternate "food plan" and stuck with it....splitting a veggie burger (and fries) with a large salad pre-game and only purchasing a $4 bottle of water at the game. In the land of sports bars and junk food I will call that a success. Credit. Once home (very late) I resisted all the chatter in my brain suggesting I might eat a snack. I was not hungry. I had the banana in my hand and told myself I'd enjoy it just as much tomorrow. As a result, the scale was my friend this morning. Credit moi! Now...off to take care of my home and make a food plan for TODAY!

BillBlueEyes, ouch for that darned Costco food. Perhaps next time you can preplan and just say no to the free soda. Fortunately, you have probably satisfied your brain with that experience and will have come up with something more creative for your next excursion. Yay for exercising enroute to the library. I like the idea that I can check out that unread book again at any time-which first requires that I return it.

nationalparker, many credits, but especially your success with outdoor exercise! I get cold just reading.

Beverlyjoy, sending you supportive thoughts as you make your plan and are "facing the day with hope". Yes, you had many credits yesterday and checking in with your coaches is a great start.

Silverbirch

BigchiefDavid, I love your statement, "regardless of what I weigh tomorrow, I know I've come a long way in the past six weeks." Credit!

Beth(fromDayton), lol at forgetting your food exercise last night. Credit for 100% OP day. It has been a wonderful experience for me, too, to recognize that I actually enjoy the mindful eating.

MaryAnn, yay for jumping right back OP after your snack deviation!

IBelieveInMe2, great that you are spending extra time as you change your definition of full. Credit as you really consciously and continuously responded to sabotaging thoughts while out for lunch with your good friend. It is such a strategy for success when we are eating out.
  • Good Morning Buddies/Coaches

It sounds like the schizophrenic weather is all across the country. We went from 2" of snow in the night to 45 degrees and sunny by afternoon. I took geriatric dog for a walk after work in the SUN. I can't believe it's the last day of January today. AND I'm 8 pounds lighter than I was on January 12.

I think I'm going to have to check out "MyFitnessPal" I am planning 2 days of my own food. Like Beth, I am resistant to planning. On the weekend I want to eat what appeals to me that day. I'm so impressed with your committment to planning, you are a shining example for me.

MaryAnn What level school do you work? I have a Middle School and a High School on my caseload. (I know I've never mentioned that I'm a school nurse) Most of the time I love it but today I'm going to have to face an angry parent. I unfortunately know where the stashes of chocolate are and all the secretaries keep a bowl of candy on there counters. It's been quite awhile (3 weeks) since I've dipped into them.

BillBE I have the same mental committment to books I start to read. I'll check out a book, not like it but feel obligated to read it. I'm getting better about it and taking back a book that I don't enjoy instead of keeping, keeping keeping it until it's overdue and I have a fine AND STILL HAVEN'T READ IT.

NationalParkerI loved your JuliaKickingButt name for me. I wish I could give myself credit and write that signature. I have a hard time with discounting my success. "It's only 8 pounds, it's easy at the beginning...." I wonder about your lunch mate extolling the virtues of gluten-free, do you think she's just so enamoured with something new? I tend to read more into things people say, thinking they are hinting something about me.

OMG, look at the time. Gotta get ready for work!
    JuliaWithoutIronedClothes
  • I'm home for lunch and just have to share this news.
    JuliaWithoutIronedClothes went to get ready for work and rather than ironing something went to the guest room closet to see if the gray pants (ironed) in there would fit. Last winter I couldn't wear them. The waist was so tight it cut me in half. This morning, much to my surprise, They fit perfectly! No gut-sucking-in necessary.
    WhooHoo Me!
    Julia
  • Go Julia!!!
    Julia: CONGRATULATIONS on losing 8 pounds already and for fitting into those gray pants that were too tight last winter!!!!! That calls for a carrot dance!!! Seriously, though, that is so exciting!!! Happy that you shared the great news!!! I am still waiting for the day when I can fit back into my smaller clothes again. I did it once and then gave away my "fat clothes" ~ only to gain all of the weight back again. This is it, though!!! This time, each pound that comes off is off to stay!!! I love the names you give yourself at the end of your posts! They crack me up! Today, I shall give you the name "JuliaWhoWearsTheGrayPantsAgain!" YAY FOR YOU!!!
  • Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Last day of the month which means I change my ticker to whatever the scale says tomorrow. Today I was two pounds below which gives me incentive to go light all day. I want to see the change.

Out of town family wedding this weekend. We are heading to the beach. i hope some good weather follows us.

Julia150: Congrats on the new pants. That is one of my favorite treats--new clothes. I am a lit coach for middle school.

Wave to everyone else.
  • Hey Coaches and Becksters:

Got on the scale this morning and BOOM! Neither gained weight, nor lost it. I'm pretty damn happy about that and promptly reported to my diet coach. I "should" feel disappointed, but I'm elated because after a rough weekend, I got back OP and maintained my previous weight. It's a "reasonable" reaction.

You'll never guess that I read "Day 37" today, would you?

Julia150: Congratulations! I think fitting into clothes feels better than what the scale tells us.

BBE: Funny, but I really don't like King Cake that much.

Nationalparker I'm very jealous of your winter hikes. I miss those days of crunchy, snowy walks as the frost "performs its secret ministry."

Until that time...
  • Hi all!

I forgot about the extra on the plate again at dinner--not quite sure why I'm balking at it. I think I'll put a note on tomorrow's dinner (leftovers) before I go to bed so I remember to do it.

I didn't manage to follow everything on my written plan, but I stayed totally within parameters. MyFitnessPal has a 'food notes' area for each day, so I'm using that to record where I changed my plan. This morning I didn't get up early enough, so didn't have time for breakfast at home--so I brought a frozen pancakes/sausage meal and a container for fruit and ate after I got to work. (Schedule is driven by getting DD to school)

I already entered all of tomorrow's planned food into MFP. That makes 3 days in a row that I've done this. Credit to me!

I think the planning is getting easier for me because I did it in two totally separate steps. One was Sunday night to plan out the breakfasts/lunches/dinners for the week at a high level. The other has been tonight and the three nights previous to flesh that out and put quantities against it. Top down design to the rescue!

And it really does help me to have it all written down--I just pulled out my phone to find out what fruit I said I was serving with dinner! (Although I'd have switched it to watermelon no matter what it said-the watermelon needed to be eaten.) (I had apparently noted that last night, which is why watermelon was on the menu for tonight.)

I'll get this planning down yet!

maryann--I hope the scale says what you want to hear--and that you have great weather on the beach. Do you have a plan for food for your trip?

Julia150--I have to agree with IBelieveInMe2--I love your names--and it's so exciting that your pants fit. I'm down 6 pounds this month (and about 5 just disappeared before I started this.) The jeans I'm wearing can go over my hips without being unbuttoned. I guess I should try some other things in the closet on!

Lexiss--Credit for coming up with an alternative food plan that worked--and then sticking with it. I can just imagine that banana--it's so easy to say "it's good for me"--but you stood up to it!

nationalparker--Credit for the homemade pizza (yum). And I am so impressed that you get out and hike in the cold!

Beverlyjoy--I hope your back is doing better. Back pain is so debilitating and affects everything. Credit for still giving yourself credit for everything you did right! Hoping for comfort for your back...

BillBE--thanks for sharing your Costco story with us--Costco is a hard place.

[BigchiefDavid[/b]--3 days mostly OP? CREDIT!

Have a great Friday everyone!