~~January Golden Girls~~

You're on Page 20 of 21
Go to
  • Donna...I won't spoil it for K3, but I weeped a tad last night.

Did you all see the 5 cast members at the sag awards last night? Wow, what a difference in the maid, the cook's helper (Daisy) and the housekeeper.(Mrs. Hughes?)
  • Bobbi - no, I didn't watch the SAG awards. I try to watch the red carpet, but the shows are tres boring usually!!! Michelle Dockery is SO skinny! She looks like a Q-tip... all head on a stick! I'm so glad they did well with the awards.

What I wanted to ask is: are you the one who gets the nutritional information for a recipe from SparkPeople or is it someone else or is it another site entirely?
  • Oh Bobbi ~ I forgot to mention ~ your grandson sounds like an awesome kid. The world needs more like him. You have every right to be a proud grandma

Donna ~ I don't know if I ever mentioned the spark recipes on here, but I like those ~ they have all that stuff figured out for you ~ makes it easier than having to figure it all out yourself.

Friday am ~ Well, I did the slimfast at breakfast. But I got to thinking ~ if I do get out of work on time, or late, but not terrible late ~ I could do a salad for supper and that should be ok. So that is what I did last night. I do like my salad ~ really look forward to it. So, yesterday was pretty good eating wise. It would have been better if I had not had a snack after the salad ~ but even that wasn't horrible ~ a banana that needed to be used up ~ turned into a peanut butter and banana sandwich ~ could have been worse. Today is another day......
  • Good Morning, I have only 10 minutes to chat.

Donna...it wasn't me that mentioned Spark site, I am a member over there but find it too time consuming. I can get all the nutritional information on Fitday for my foods. I didn't watch the SAG awards either, just the highlights the next morning. I find them all boring.

Yesterdays calories, 813 and 35 gram fiber. Calories were low because DH wanted pancakes and bacon. I had cardboard turkey bacon and french toast made with low calorie bread. If I had known my calories would be that low, I'd have eaten the full calorie pancakes.

Below is a couple of crock pot soups that was posted this morning by the crock pot ladies. (I think that's one you sent me Donna) I still have lots of butternut squash from last summer so I'll substitute it for acorn or pumpkin. All interchangeable.

Quote:

Crock-Pot Acorn Squash Soup

Serves: 6

Ingredients
    • 2 Medium Acorn Squashes, Cut into wedges
    • 1 Small Yellow Onion, finely diced
    • 1 (32 Oz.) Carton Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
    • 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
    • 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
    • 1 Tablespoon Fresh Rosemary
    • Whipping Cream, optional
    • Salt & Pepper to taste
    Instructions
    1. Place wedges of squash into a 6-quart crock-pot.
    2. Add vegetable broth, onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary.
    3. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours until squash is tender.
    4. Fish squash wedges out of crock-pot and place on a plate and set aside to cool to the touch.
    5. Once squash is cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin and add the flesh back into the crock-pot.
    6. Cook for 20-30 minutes more in the covered crock-pot to warm the squash back up.
    7. Puree the soup in the crock-pot with a hand-held immersion blender. Additionally you can purée in a regular blender, be careful blending hot liquids.
    Crock-Pot Pumpkin Soup
    1 16oz Canned Pumpkin (or equivalent in pumpkin puree)

1 Medium Onion, diced

1/2 Cup Carrot, diced

1 Gala Apple, peeled, cored and diced

1 Tablespoon Sage

3 Cups Chicken Stock

1/3 Cup Stick Butter

2 Tablespoons Stick Butter (this is for the veggies)

3/4 Cup Milk

Instructions
    1. Sautee onions, carrots, apple, sage and the 2 Tablespoons butter in pan.
    2. Cool Vegetables and then puree in blender.
    3. Add vegetable puree and pumpkin to crock-pot.
    4. Stir in chicken stock.
    5. Cook on low for 5 hours.
  • oh poop i just lost my page...be back later when I finish kicking something
  • well will try again. Bobbi I finished season 2 last night and will start watching on my pc season 3. How many episodes have been on PBS so far, need to know so I don't have keep squinting on this wee screen instead my new 32"er.

Donna saw pictures of the girl who's dress riped in half at the awards. Hope she was not wearing a thong!

Gayle...good luck with Slimfast. I found I needed more bulk in my mouth than a shake. No Bobbi not more FIBER!

Stinking hot down here. Mid 80's and we are still mowing the lawn every week. k3
  • Tyvm
    Instead of cleaning my house today, I've spent the entire day watching Downton Abbey. I am officially hopelessly addicted.

TN Donna
  • K3...I think we've watched 3 episodes so far.

TNDonna...we're addicted to Downton Abbey too.
  • Will watch Christmas tonight and yes I know about Sybil...It was in the ads k3

Addicted moi? yup!
  • TN Donna - you're among friends! I think we're pretty much all DA Addicts! And there could be worse things.......!

Bobbi - I'm kind of enjoying the newness of SparkPlug, and I like all the extras available. I still use Fitday, too, but I have a free membership to Fitday, and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that I think the paid membership has. It's just fun to poop around on the site when I should be working. I did find the place at SparkPeople where you can put in the recipe and the nutritional info pops up... I think that's way cool.

I'm coming down with a cold, so that was my rationale for pacing myself (ha!) at work today. I really am pale, wan, weak, pathetic, and pitiful. Really!

Gayle - I'm so glad your Miss Maddie appeared before you had a stroke! How scary that was! I hope the sight of your quivering protoplasm scared her!

Everyone, hope all are well... later, lovelies!
  • What is spark plug Donna?
  • Karen3 -- I'm jealous of your warm weather. Here in New England it has been freezing the last week or so - I keep adjusting the heat - trying to keep it down -- I've even put the oven on for heat because I don't want to run out of kerosene. I have to come up with $500 for a minimum delivery of 100 gallons. At least there hasn't been to much snow!

My computer eats my responses a lot. A lot of times I "copy" my message if it starts to get long .. that way I can "paste" it if it disappears.

TN Donna - hope your ob/gyn visit goes okay.

Hi to everyone else -- I'm just chillin' (literally!)
  • Okay...watched The Christmas episode last night. Love that every new gadget is tried out by the Abbey. Electric Xmas lights this time. I have enough time to watch 1 2 3 before Sunday and then Sun I get to see 4 & 5. Nope not addicted never well sorta really.

Mary Mary were are you?

Karen so glad you got thru the weather yesterday. Gesh it still Jan!

Off to the bridge table...k3
  • Hola!
    Gayle - SparkPlug? Oh, sorry, I meant SparkPeople... guess I was visualizing my shape!

KarenFL - you're pretty well caught up on DA... Sunday is, I think, #4 for this season. And you're so right that they try out every new gadget. There's mention of a needle biopsy in one of them, and I scurried to the computer to see if they used needle biopsies then... and, yes, they started using them in the early 1920's. So interesting! I think they spend a lot of time doing research!

Our 1-1/2" of snow is already pretty much gone... from snow yesterday to 60 tomorrow. It's nuts, I tell you... nuts!

Regarding Mary: I sent a FB message to her daughter several days ago, and she replied that "mom is fine. She's on holiday"... and so I guess that's it. She didn't elaborate, just those words.

Bobbi - any updates on your living situation?

Hope all are well! Later, lovelies.
  • I was wondering what happened to Mary too, glad it's just a vacation from everything and nothing serious.

Calories was too low again yesterday and it's hard to catch up after supper. I tried, ate carrots, celery, radishes, dip, bowl of cheerios and a kiwi.
    873 calories and 35 grams of fiber

Donna...had a couple wanting to buy our house last fall but couldn't get the loan. They still want it and are working to get their outstanding debt cleaned up. Will try for the loan again 1 of February. Until then, we're doing the waiting game like KarenMo went thru.