I'm worried about loose skin.

• Hi, okay, so, I'm 15 and Im about to start a serious diet. Like, I plan on loosing 3 lbs every four days for probably around the next four months. What will I look like? I know the stretch marks will still be there, but what about loose skin?!
    Thanks for the help.
  • Well, first off, I think you might want to moderate your expectations. The weight loss you are going for isn't a healthy rate. Research shows you'll have a much better chance of keeping the weight off if you lose it at a more reasonable rate, say 1-2 lbs a week. Even if you could get your body to cooperate with a loss that fast, you'd most likely have to resort to unhealthy low calorie levels to do so. While there are some protein sparing modified fasts and other plans that might get weight off of you faster, those would be doctor supervised (and not recommended for a teen that is still growing).

That said, it's impossible to predict what your skin will look like at goal. It might be loose. It might not. It might be temporarily loose and then firm up over time. It's determined by genetics, how long you were overweight, how quickly you lose the weight, your age, etc.
  • I have to agree with mandalinn82, and as to the loose skin, don't worry you can tone your body and if not, a little loose skin is a small sacrifice don't you think?
  • That plan is a set up for failure. If you do try to do this on your own with a severe diet you will just end up in a diet/binge/diet cycle.

As to loose skin after losing weight... you are young, loose skin will be less of a problem. Stretch marks that are red you should moisturize daily... if they are a silvery shade of your normal skin tone then they are permanent.

Again... take in at least 1200 calories and lose the weight gradually for lasting health.
  • I agree with everyone, please re evaluate your diet and go for something that will help the weight stay off and show you how you should be healthy for the future.
  • I agree with others too... your plan to lose that much weight that quickly is a recipe for disaster and failure. There ARE a lot of safe, effective ways to lose weight and become healthier.

I would also add that I recommend you ask your doctor for some advice and supervision.
  • Everyone seems to be on the same page in regards to making your goals more reasonable.

But to answer your question about loose skin. From observing others who lose weight drastically they always end up with loose skin. This is because their skin is not able to keep up with the weight lost.

Your skin stays tight because of elastin and collagen. With age these protein substances can decrease in your body unless you actively work towards keeping them in high quantities in the body. Lean meats, legumes, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, broccoli, watercress, oranges, peppers, cantaloupe and dandelion greens all help with collagen and elastin production.

You can of course take care of your skin from the outside.

Here are some things to help collagen production:

Essential oils that promote collagen renewal:
    Wheat germ oil .. Has a strong scent, stimulates collagen production. Contains high amounts of Vit E.

Frankincense and Sandalwood. Increases collagen production and is also reputed to repair your DNA?

Wolfberry oil - Collagen production

Vitamin C - applied directly to skin and fresh. Even rubbing lemons on skin would help. Not for sensitive skin. I used to make a mask of an orange, put into a food processor... rind and all!
  • You are so young your skin will bounce right back. But please safely diet no extremes