It's a Worldy Chicks Winter Wonderland

You're on Page 18 of 18
Go to
  • Hi all,

DH is making some Olive Garden Zuppa Toscano. It smells SO good. Can't wait for it to be done. Will have with a slice of homemade bread.

It's quiet here. Sunny but cold. Going to be even colder tomorrow - only a HIGH of 9 degrees. Brrrrrrr. DH said it doesn't feel as cold as it did in the city. I say BAH. 9 degrees is 9 degrees and that's COLD. I do have to run out to the store but I have piddled around so much today that it's too late to go now. DH would wonder why I am going out since we have been shopping the last 2 days. But 2 stores start their sales on Sunday and there are some Sunday sale things I want to pick up. Also our local co-op store is supposed to give us a discount on groceries if we are also a propane gas customer (which we are). I told the new kid checker we were and he did not give me my discount on Friday. We bought $150 worth of groceries so it was a good discount (if we got it). The kid said it automatically took off the percent, I took the slip to customer service and she was equally confused. I was vindicated yesterday when we went there to check out their seafood sale and the checker properly handled my transaction and the extra discount clearly shows on the slip. Ordinarily I would not fuss over this however it's a matter of principle - one there is a HUGE red sign on each checker's cash register reminding them to ask people about the propane discount, the checker ignored it or is confused even after I reminded him of it and third - the customer service lady was also wrong about how this works Other than that, we will be staying in the house.

Laura - glad you had a nice time at the parties. Sounds like you have a busy weekend ahead - but full of fun.

Ceejay - funny you should mention it but I was thinking about the rope lights on the stairway. Just can't figure out a way to do it where DH won't complain that they are cheesy looking and take them down when I'm not home. Ouch on the shoulder. Maybe get a bag of frozen peas while you are out at the store and alternate between the peas (ice) and the heating pad. A bit of linament might help too but not in conjunction with the ice or heat.

Ellen - not sure if you will ever get back the time you lost when you couldn't drink but I hope you have a good time with DH and the band. Bringing your steak home and making 2 meals out of it is more economical to me - that is IF you remember to eat the leftovers We have a small warm air humidifier going in the house and that helps a bit but not quite enough to put as much moisture as we really need in here. We bought a big cool air humidifier last year but it's noisy and spits out more moisture around the furniture than we'd like and boiling pot of water on the stove always makes me nervous that I'd forget about it and let it boil out I guess the saline spray is probably your best option.

Mel - that is very pretty with the banister. Except mine has pine garland which I guess, sitting in the northwoods surrounded by pine trees is not totally Christmasy. But my banister looks like the one you posted. Maybe I can intertwine seasonal decorations - right now I have poinsettias on the drape of the garland That is SO funny about the nurse and enima bulb. I knew she was holding something and stupid me thought it was garlic - for the life of me I could not figure out what it was. I just googled "come here smilie" and that's the best that came up. Now that I know what it is, even funnier. I guess that would fit in good with the seniors Good guess with DH's lack of footprints as to walking on air - maybe he just does that around me Is Ritchie cooking again for New Year's Eve/Day?

Shad - hope you are enjoying your last few days off.

DH is making a banging mess downstairs. I guess I'd better go see what he's up to. Have a good rest of the weekend / long weekend for those of you who've got it.
  • Day has got away from me again, but I think I achieved much of what I needed to do.
    Early morning flight to Darwin tomorrow, so it's an early night for me.

Wish you all a happy, healthy, prosperous and safe new year. 2013 here we come.

• WISHING EVERYONE A VERY HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR.

SORRY THIS IS SHORT BUT I GOT VERTIGO LAST NIGHT AND STILL CAN'T SIT UP VERY WELL.
    IT'S TO BE EXPECTED WITH THIS INSANE SINUS WEATHER.
    OTHER THAN THAT ALL IS WELL.

SHAD...ONCE AGAIN I AM SORRY I MISSED ANOTHER HOLIDAY WITH YOU HERE.
  • Happy final day of 2012 to all you wonderful ladies!

I'm back at work and as expected...crazy busy playing catch up. My flight got in very late Saturday night, and by the time I got home it was nearly 1 am Sunday. The ex was nice enough to pick me up at the airport. Other than doing a bit of grocery shopping and going to the ex's house to do laundry yesterday, I relaxed (as in slept) most of the day. I've still got a lingering chest cough and weakness from bronchitis. And all the travel, combined with the diabetes meds have made my tummy upset for over a week.

I'll be at work the whole day, and then I'll pick Santa up and take him for a walk...and then he and I will hunker down under blankets and watch TV.

Tomorrow, I'll be going over to the ex's house to hopefully move one or two loads of stuff from the basement to my new place (or to Goodwill). The ex's gf will be moving out to Wisconsin at the end of Feb, and I assume she'll want all my stuff out of the house by then.

Sorry I wasn't able to check in while on vacation. When I wasn't busy with family, I was sleeping. I didn't have much free time at all. It was wonderful seeing everyone, and I'm so glad I went.

I'll try and play catch up with y'all tonight or tomorrow.

Much love and many hugs,
  • Back to work for me this morning.
    Nothing new to report.

Michelle
    Glad you are back home. It was nice that DH came to pick you upfrom the air port. Try to get some rest.

Shad
    have a safe trip back to Darwin.

Mel
    Sorry you have vertigo this morning.Rest as much as possible.

Happy
    Brrrr on the 9 degree weather. That's toooooooo cold for me. I hope it by passes us.

Laura
    Enjoy the gathering at the bf's.
  • Morning all,
    Back at my second home (Brisbane Airport) and all is quiet around here. I think they are all getting over the long night.
    Yesterday I finished the weeding in the flower garden. Can't call it the rose garden anymore since it also contains gerbera, heliotrope, hippeastrum, sweet alyssum and some lemon balm ground cover stuff. I put them all together in an attempt to block out the weeds. Not really working all that well but it looks good.
    I had to poison weeds on the driveway and around the brick fence, down the sides of the house and the back patio since these were out of control. Don't like poisoning but when it comes through from the neighbours and gets brought in with the mulch there isn't much I can do apart from keep it under control. Times were that the mulch and the purchased soil was treated for weed seeds and guaranteed weed free. Sadly no longer.
    Had coffee with my lovely neighbour who looks out for the comings and goings at my place. I bought her a petrol voucher for Christmas and she is over the moon about it.
    DS1 sent me some pictures of DGC (Dear Grandchild) yesterday that he had taken when she was asleep, just waking up and with her bed hair. I will download them later and send them to you via this page. Not putting much on facebook because one never knows just who is out there.

Mel - I did think of ringing you yesterday, but as I said earlier, the day got away on me and I didn't get to see any of the family and only one friend - apart from the neighbour. I have the proper pictures (remember the ones I sent with the password) of DGC now on my computer, so if you want one or more let me know and I will send them to you to print out or throw darts at or whatever.

Ceejay - You and me, back to work. At least I don't have to start until tomorrow morning.

Michelle - good that you are back at work. More dollars, another day closer to where you want to be. Be sure to keep a balance of work, play and rest or you will continue to get sick.

Laura - Hope your new year parties have been good for you and you are out enjoying yourself.

Happy - Gotta keep your wits about you with these discounts and things. Kids just don't seem to care too much and what's with the customer service dudette not knowing how things work. I would have thought that was part of her job. Good thing someone in the joint knows what happens. Hope DH didn't burn the soup. Maybe that was the dinner gong making the banging sound.

So I had better get my brain together and get myself into flight mode. However since I have been awake since before 3am I might just sleep the flight away. Will need to do some shopping when I get there - just to get over the next couple of days until I can get to the markets for some fresh stuff. I miss my garden already.
    See you in Darwin
  • Holy Mother of Mary.....I am sick, sick, sick of shoveling. Just shoveled two more inches off the drive, back porch and Sassy's pottying area. EVERY muscle, fat cell, cellulite, and bone in my body is aching. I think I may have to break out the Vicoden. Been about 5 years since I used them and ironically they are still within expiration. Have lil man tonight. I tried every way possible into talking the kids outta going out and me keep him. He is sick with a cold and ear infection. On antibiotics and a enemblizer (sp). I do not like doing that to him as he cries the entire time. Just kills me. I cannot even imagine them letting me babysit in these conditions....: Sam has a cold, lil man has a cold and ear infection, and it is snowing like no other. I just want to say stay home. I even hinted at that, but no. Crap! Making soup for dinner. Potato cheese soup with bacon. The End!!
  • and weatherman is saying 2-3 more inches of this crap. Kill Kill Kill...
  • Hi ladies,

Happy End of 2012. Not a bad year I must say. Didn't do everything I thought I'd do, did some stuff I never thought I would. But all in all, a very good year. Even though we are staying home I showered, shaved the legs, put on some makeup, curled my hair and put on a new blouse and an old pendant I found that looks like it was made just for the blouse. I even put lipstick on. It's minus 4 degees (F) outside. Really glad I don't have to go out in slinky cold clothes and strappy heels and my good coat with the cold silk lining in it. I am sitting here enjoying an after dinner drink of Malibu (Coconut) Rum and Coca Cola. It occured to me that I have plenty of liquour to get soused but that's not my thing any more. In fact I'm feeling just this one drink and it was after we had a nice dinner of cold shrimp, grilled steak bites with dipping sauces, baked potato skins and an assortment of cheeses and some fresh pineapple. No one broadcasts the countdown to midnight on tv out this way so the best I can do is to wish DH a happy New Year at 11 pm our time when the ball drops by Mel in NYC.

Annie - I am so sorry you are getting more snow. I know what that feels like when you've had ENOUGH ALREADY. I think you need a hot bath - with some epsom or eucalyptus salts which will help take the strain out of those poor muscles. I'm sorry that you could not convince the kids to stay in, they are young and probably figure that if they don't go out on NYE it's just wrong and sets the tone for the year. Hey, welcome to parenthood. I hope you don't have to wrestle with Lil Man all night. Perhaps this is the last day of a somewhat crummy year for you (with some exceptional highlights too). Get it done with, start the new year fresh and good things to come. I hope you get some pain relief and sleep tonight.

Shad - I would think the airport staff would greet you by name when you prance in, as often as you are there. Hope you have quiet travels tonight. How's the New Year looking so far as you are the first to see it way ahead of us? Can't get over how adorable DGC is - I'm sure she is growing like a weed in your eyes. I'll bet she'll be a cute babbler too when she starts talking. I planted a small pot of lemon balm this summer - loved the smell of it. I knew it wouldn't make it over the winter - or the deer would have eaten it so I enjoyed it in the pot. I was just thinking the other day as I looked at my bare deck full of snow just how lovely your garden is this time of year.

Michelle - take care of yourself - sounds like you did alot of running around. Glad you had a good time even if it was busy. I hope the ex is still helpful to you once the GF moves in. It's good to have people you can rely on and past performance is sometimes an indication of future actions no matter what that commercial says

Ceejay - hope you have a quiet workday and are home now resting up. I hope the weather is calm - no storms or power outages. Looks like it's chilly with alot of rain. Better than ice and snow.

Mel - oh darn on the vertigo. Can't see how it can be helped much if the Mucinex doesn't help it along. I hope there's no wild senior parties and your night and phone are quiet and peaceful.

Laura - are you being the hostess with the mostest or are you cussing out BF for inviting people over?

Hello to Patty, Ellen, Java

Time to go boot DH out from the TV with the chairs (all other tvs are in bedrooms and I hate watching TV in bed). I think I want to watch a movie - can't decide between Love Actually or New Year's Eve.

Wishing you all a bright and merry 2013. Catch you in the morning

• Happy 2013 to my besties!!!!

Lil man is asleep in his crib....main man asleep in our bed.....Sassy asleep in my chair which she will be sharing with me shortly and is getting used to of late.

Watced Dick Clark's rememberance special and now watching the next part of time square. Ringing in the new year with myself. Probably a good idea. haha.

Making baked cabbage...baked onions (cause I like them) and probably roasting the beef I was going to put with the cabbage. C has to work so planning on spending the afternoon with my dad.

The kids should pick up lil man by noon....at least that is the time I told them as I have a life....believe it or not...hahaha.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! May if be healthy, happy and prosperous....

Loves to all..
  • Happy New Year to my Worldly friends!!!
  • 3...2...1.... Happy New Year
    Happy New Year Ladies !!
  • Happy 2012 to you ladies - hope it's a good one all around. I am in the process of setting up a new thread. Stay tuned...
  • Ok kids, time to shut down the year and this thread and start anew. Happy New Year - Click here to join us in the new thread - Worldly Chicks Celebrate Another Year Together