Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 11 of 16
Go to
  • Quick and late check-in, but food is going well and according to plan today! I need to get off the computer and go exercise, now!

WI: -0.15 kgs, Exercise: +70 805/1400 minutes for December, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • End of today/end of days? Tune in Tomorrow.
    Coaches

*credit went to ww and saw a 0.2lb loss. Given that I did very little to stay on track last week this is a blessing. *crdit for going there even when I really didn't cause I was SURE I would be up by at last 2lbs, most likely 5lbs. Another example of how my feelings are not reality and I need to check things out.

Foodwise had two indulgences tonight brought home by DH. Thursdays are my "if you are going to eat it, at it today" day. I have counted them and move on. I didn't do much in the way of clean up/clearing out today. I cancelled my ride tomorrow morning. She was going to bring her SUV to haul stuff to the studio, but I decided it was more important for me to clean/move boxes around. If I take the time to go with her then my morning will be used up and that's when I am most productive. I don't have many days to do what I need to do.

And if this is the end of days, it was a pleasure to have shared this Beck board with you all. See you on the first day of Winter, I hope.
  • Friday - Winter Solstice - End of the Mayan Calendar
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – With all due respect to those who interpreted the intention of the Mayans, I'm still here. So far. At lunch with friends to celebrate the Winter Solstice, I ordered a California Turkey Burger with a side of green salad instead of fried onion rings (the house specialty), CREDIT moi. Even better, I sat and chatted for some thirty minutes before the food arrived while the others scarfed down the ciabatta bread rolls with butter and I ate nary a single one. I'll take a CREDIT moi for that alone since I've been know to fight for my share of the basket on the table. The 'California' part was a thick slathering of guacamole. Whatever calories I saved on the onion rings might have been matched by avocado, LOL.

Walked to and from the subway, up and down stairs, and around and about, CREDIT moi. I'll be annoyed if today ends the world because I want to get this leg thing behind me; end of the world can wait. No one at lunch commented that I was limping, so it isn't as obvious to others as it is to me. I do some movements of my foot that I found on the Internet while I wait for my first appointment with the physical therapist. I bet Bill Gates doesn't have to wait for an appointment. I added 'patience' to my list for Santa Clause but I'm destined to get a cordless drill instead. Oh, Well.

onebyone – Neat to be clear on the best way to use your time to get your place ready for the furniture infusion. Good luck with that project.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL, I do understand, "now!"

Debbie (Lexxiss) – What fun to find new Vegan opportunities. Yay for moving your morning weigh in to automatic.

FutureFitChick – One Hundred Kudos on Cartwheels for reaching onederland - a big deal with all the stuff going on in your life. And Kudos for having a plan for today - that's the kind of strategy that must have gotten you to this point. I'm under pressure to finish reading a book that you might like, The Emotional Brain - by Joseph LeDoux. It's a Christmas present for my DD which I am sneakily reading before I wrap it. My mind boggles that neuro-science has the guts to search for emotion and double boggles that so much progress has been made despite the crude knowledge of the neuron pathways. I hope your thesis work continues well.

nationalparker – Big Kudos for seeing through the cashews with, "I don't need them just because they're free." Yep, it's highly likely that you'll get another chance for cashews. And I really need to memorize this, LOL, "Now to remember that No Choice doesn't just mean the stuff I don't like."

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2
    What Really Makes You Eat

Well, the good news is that your eating is not automatic. Automatic processes are involuntary, such as the beating of your heart or the digestion of your food. You don’t decide to let your heart beat or to set off your digestive processes. You do decide to eat, however. And here’s the other good news. You can learn how to take better control of your eating decisions.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 26.
  • Hi Coaches!

BBE, monster kudos not touching that bread! I relate to the old habit of fighting for your fair share.

onebyone, great job stifling your inner voice telling you not to go to your weigh in!

gardenerjoy, yay for following your plan AND making time for exercise!

I weighed this morning and wrote todays food plan on a sticky note which is now on my computer. I'm accepting that the holidays are really not my favorite time and am going through the motions yet really anticipating the New Year and a fresh start....since it seems we're going to still be around.

In Alaska the Winter Solstice was always such a great time since we knew we would really notice the days getting longer. I feel that energy today. Yippee!
  • Yesterday was OP for me. I'm having my OP breakfast now. I made my dinner salad too large, so it is in the refrigerator for dinner. I'm getting a little nervous about being at my parent's house for so long while trying to stay OP. They've noticed I have lost weight, however, I just told them I was eating tons of protein and vegetables and left it at that. I've failed at enough weight loss attempts that I don't want to go in to diet plan specifics with them until I maintain my weight loss for a while. We'll see how this all goes.

Today's plan - lunch - leftover salad from last night, snack late afternoon, broccoli, salad, and baked fish for dinner

Still have some anxiety about being late on my writing deadline and home to knock out a bunch today. Fingers crossed I stay focused and get it done so I can feel like I accomplished something. I am contemplating skiing on Sunday. If I get the writing done, I'll be more likely to go. But, I am still nervous to ski right now because I strained my sacroiliac joint two weeks ago (putting a shirt in the drier, impressively), which was incredibly painful and I don't want to re-injure it.

BillBlueEyes, DH and I are lamenting how jealous you are to live within walking distance of a subway stop and a Trader Joe's... PT is great, but it always bugs me that it takes so long to get in.

GardenerJoy, great job on your maintenance!

Lexxis, my husband (a lactose-intolerant vegetarian) has a tamale place he loves in Indianapolis. They always had good veggie options and were cheap... until they were on Diners, Drive-thrus, Dives... They raised their prices 100% within 24 hours of the show being on the air.

OnebyOne good job for moving on.
  • Hi Becksters/coaches - We have done our trip and missed the snow. Wonderful to be here with family. Am being mindful of food choices - trying, anyway. I hope you are all safe, warm (if in snow) and enjoying family and/or friends.

DS is watching carbs. He has fibro and his rhuemotologist suggested it. So, we can be 'mindful' together.

I will check in. We will be away from home until next Wed.

Hope you are all doing well.
  • Quote:

Friday Weekend Warm-up: There is NOT ONE single food that you can eat while you’re off track that you can’t also eat when you’re on track. When you’re working on healthy eating, it’s true that you probably can’t eat as much of it as you want, but certainly any food can be worked into your diet in reasonable portions. This weekend, work on eating your favorite food in a reasonable way.
    I've been bad........... holiday eating has invaded my brain. I MUST get back in control.
  • Good Morning.

Saw ticker weight the day before my bday but it jumped a pound (on its own accord, of course, with no help from me lol) so 1 pound above ticker. Nice bday. My beautiful boys sang me happy bday.

Today I am completely unmotivated for anything. Shell shocked from the last day of school. I seemingly am refusing to write my food down. Plan to start over this minute: lunch- sweet potato smoothie. Credit step class. Credit veggie plan for dinner. Plan read Beck book.
  • Hello Winter Solstice!
    Coaches

A happy winter solstice to you!
    Days now begin to lengthen. Yay.

*credit for tracking today, for posting here and for cooking from scratch.

I have made some progress with the furniture and the boxes and had a mental breakthrough. As I carried a very heavy box down the hallway into the dining room I thought OMG I am still moving. I moved here in April 2011. I am still not unpacked. Most of the boxes I carried haven't been opened since I packed them. I am completely unwilling to still be moving after this round of apartment arranging happens. This has to be the last time I deal with these boxes. I'd like to be moved in and actually living here, not managing *stuff*. I'm ready to move on.

I've also made the decision to sign up with my local Bikram Yoga studio or their introductory student special: $40 for 30 days of classes. My starting day will be January 9, 2013. I looked at their schedule and it looks like th ebest time for me to go will be 6:30pm for a 90minute class. Hooboy. My body is in for a *welcome* shock. I don't normally do much in the evening and I haven't actually challenged my body to do much in the last few years. I am done with that as well. I need to see some deep change this year. I think it is essential for my well-being and I think I am on my way.

Bye for now.
  • Quick and late again! But yesterday went well food and exercise-wise. Today has gone well food-wise, but I'm going to have to push it to get any exercise in. I'm determined.

WI: -0.1 kgs, Exercise: +80 885/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • Moving fast, but wanted to post. For me, the holidays are here--people from out of town, parties, food and drink galore--and I'm damn glad to have a four-year-old kid to chase around at these events. The "It's not Ok" and the "Self-Deluding Response" cards helped quite a bit today, but my little dude is really who kept my on track. And keeping up with him is one of my biggest advantages to losing weight. Thanks, Son!
  • Saturday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – The juices are running - the stuff that flows through my veins to buy, buy, buy my way out of the season, LOL. Went to Home Depot with DW to choose the cordless drill we'll give each other for under the tree. CREDIT moi for walking the length of that humongous store. I grabbed some neat wood clamps on super sale to give to DW. I wanted to buy one each of everything until she gently guided me out of the store. Bumped into the mother of one my DD's smartest grade school friends. Her daughter graduated with honors from an ivy league college and is now running a small organic farm with her husband. With no internet. And happy beyond belief. Wonderful story.

Had a moment when snacking seemed like a good idea then decided, No Choice - CREDIT moi. It was an on plan day. At dinner I had the opportunity to serve myself too much chicken but didn't. My brain sees a whole chicken and thinks that about half is the right portion. Half is a lot of chicken. DW made about the best okra ever. Because of the large Indian population around here, okra is always available. Yay for okra.

onebyone – Kudos for "I'm ready to move on" - certainly sounds like it. Your Bikram Yoga should get your body and soul back together.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for, "I'm determined."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Love the thought that Winter Solstice is especially appreciated in Alaska where length of day matters. Yay for a written food plan.

Beverlyjoy – Glad you missed the snow - sounds like it was pretty bad for many folks. Have a nice visit with your laugh therapist.

FutureFitChick – Ouch for a strained sacroiliac joint - sounds inconvenient if not painful. Kudos for marching forward on plan. Love the notion of recognizing that the salad was too big and stopping. Good to be reminded that I don't have to finish whatever bowl I've served myself. Good luck with your writing.

maryann - Happy Birthday! Yay for having "beautiful boys" to sing for you. Speaking of which, please extend my gratitude to your DH that I was able to walk into Trader Joe's and buy a huge bag of walnuts for our Christmas. You'd think those would be reserved for kings and such.

HaleyJu - Handing you back your control. You can decide to stay your plan one temptation at a time. Holiday treats were here last year and will reappear next year. Good luck.

BigchiefDavid – Yay for a 4 year old DS as Diet Coach #1. I absolutely hate how many Self-Deluding Responses I've done and are capable of doing.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2
    What Really Makes You Eat

The Thought Comes First

You may not be conscious of it, but you always have a thought before you eat. Let's say you see an open package of peanut butter crackers on the counter. You don't just automatically reach for a cracker and put it in your mouth. Your thoughts influence what you do. If you think, I really want to eat that ... It won't matter if I take one, and you don't respond to those thoughts, you'll go ahead and eat the cracker. On the other hand, if you think, I really want to eat it, but I shouldn't because it's not on my diet ... I have to get better at resisting food between meals, then you won't eat it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 26.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Still struggling for discipline. Credit for scale not moving further up but I do not want to settle for that. Plan is for yoga at 10 am. Then I am fulfilling a promise to take DS to The Hobbit. The deal was if he read the book, I would take him to the movie and he DID!.

This is the second day of vacation and I am talking back to my brain that tells me I should get productive. I have been struggling with over busy for a month. I need to let myself be. If the house is clean, the laundry done, and DS and DH are well fed I have done all I am supposed to do.

I made a pledge on my bday. Nothing new for one year - no more clothes, jewelry, shoes. (The one exception is underwear.) I want to simplify my life and pay off the little school debt I have in one year. I will feel good about myself, I know. It will force me to stay OP because I will not be buying new, bigger clothes.

Onebyone: Credit for weighing at WW and the determination to be rid of those boxes. It reminds me of Jacob Marley's chains only he had to carry them with him wherever he went. The good news is you don't have to carry those boxes anymore.

BBE: I hate to say it but those Trader Joe's Walnuts are often from China. There is nothing like a fresh California Walnut but ironically we sell many of are walnuts TO China. The Chinese don't want to eat their own. We do sell some to the Emerald brand. Yum. I have a twenty pound box of shelled halves I'll be working on this year.
  • Today is defying planning, but I'm doing my best and have a preliminary plan for the rest of the day that will probably work.

WI: -0.05 kgs, Exercise: +20 905/1400 minutes for December, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • Hi Coaches!

BBE, yay for okra and an OP day.

everyone else!
    OP yesterday, excepting several cookies eaten at an evening meeting. I wasn't hungry before or after so had some yogurt when I got home and called it "dinner". Not the best not the worst.

Today at work was the not so great. There were goodies everywhere...many customers bringing plates of cookies and candies. I did great in the morning..had several then used my resistance skills successfully for most of the rest of the day. It stayed crazy busy and finally 2 hours after I was supposed to go home I dove in for more. I did stop.credit.

Fortunately, I have tomorrow off but work Monday again. At least I will know what I'm getting into this time and have a day to think things over.