Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 10 of 16
Go to
  • I didn't fully follow my food plan yesterday, but having one helped. I had motive and opportunity to replicate last week's chocolate binge, but with a plan in place, I was able to say No Choice and move on with my day.

Today doesn't have a plan, but I'm feeling motivated to write up some ideas for mix-and-match meal plans for the next few months. I seem to need that with each change in seasons. Time for the winter plan!

WI: +0.45 kgs, Exercise: +20 685/1400 minutes for December, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: such a reassuring quote from Beck today. You'll get there. That could apply to a lot of things in my life right now.

BigchiefDavid: sorry for the loss of your dog -- 15 years is a long-time companion and that's a tough loss.
  • SINGING: still crazy after all these years
    Coaches

Did a happy xmas thing this morning. A customer from the US Virgin Islands purchased a painting for her brother and his family who lives here. She and her SIL saw the painting in question over the summer when they walked through the farmers' market and I benefited in the holiday season. So I wrapped it up, added a giant bow and fancy gift tag and delivered it. The buyer's brother was at the door to receive it and he asked me who I was and I told him my name and then said "I can't say any more than that!" I was going to say "I painted this thing..." And shut my trap before it came out! Felt like a kid. That was fun.

My studio is kind of full. I look forward to arranging it once more. I have to move most of it around in there and will certainly have to tomorrow when my craft drawers arrive. I am truly avoiding all decluttering. In fact, I found myself spending a few hours online searching for recipes that use vodka and are desserts - to make stuff for DH to give out at work (do I really need to do this? No one asked. hy do I feel like being this nice anyway??) - cookies or chocolates. There's not many. That led me to rumballs and then truffles and then it led me to the can of cashews in the cupboard that I forgot to tuck into DH's bag and now I am here having eaten them all. The tension around decluttering/cleaning/arranging my environment is some of the worst tension and I am not soild in my foodplan right now. I am also fighting the "don't even bother, it's the holidays, you will be heavier at your weigh-in on Thursday, don't bother, wait until the new year, you can't lose weight cause you're not exercising, you don't even know what to eat right now.... yadayadayadaadnauseum .

What I need is to take a deep breath. Step back. Make a few decisons. Set a few new goals. Implement a plan to get to my goals. Write down my plan with step by step instructions. Breathe again. Every moment I can choose to go back on my foodplan. I choose now. What's can of cashews vs. the rest of my life? Nothing and not a reason to throw in the towel. CREDIT for reaching out to my coaches.

Thanks for listening.
  • Good Evening, Coaches.

Onebyone: Boy, can I hear the same voice "Why bother?" I had a perfectly good plan and then was unexpectedly offered a favorite sweet. Credit for still tracking everything. I sauteed up a whole head of cabbage for three different meals. it feels good to have a plan in place. Credit for taking things easy tonight. Credit for a commitment to working only a half day tomorrow.

I continue to rail against over busy although I had few hours that felt like sunshine. Is that what I used to feel like. My birthday is on Thursday. I would love to be at least at ticker on my bday. Beck says, "No Choice" means a different outcome. That is my mantra for two days.
  • Hi Beckies.... I am having a wonderful visit with my sister. I went to the dietician today. Her scale says that I have lost 2 pounds in the last four weeks. Credit. Actually - it's kind of a success. My eating hasn't been steller. But, It's kind of a success to have my gains in the last month even out and actually to lose some weight.

I will be leaving soon for six days. Three with our son's family & grandkids. Then on to DH's sister's for a few days for Christmas. My plan is to try and stay within my plan. I want to include a few goodies. I have committed to writing down everything I eat - even if it's above and beyond my plan. I want to keep it honest.

Hope you are all doing well.
  • Good Evening!
    Hey Coaches and Becksters,

Wow, I did not want to do the push-the-excess-food-to-the-side of the plate exercise. And to make matters worse include food that's verboten? Tough love, Dr. Beck, but I did it. The book advises you to continue this exercise if it was difficult and I'm going to do it a few more time. The day I put a couple of pieces of Popeye's Fried Chicken on my plate and resist the urge eat them bones and all is the day my wife will decide there's an impostor living with her.

I think I'm still on a bit of early days of dieting high, but I also know I have some great new tools, one of which is this board. Thanks!

Thanks for all the notes about the loss of our sweet dog Lily...until that time...
  • Great stuff here tonight - I needed this! One can of cashews vs. the rest of my life is a good thought for us all, whether it's cashews, chips, cookies - whatever. Thanks, OneByOne - and congrats on the painting sale at a great time! And while it might not sound great to you, your line, "My studio is kind of full." That brings such a smile to me - of potential realized there.

BigChiefDavid - So sorry to hear about the loss of your dog, Lily, - that has to be so hard. No time is easier, but holidays seem harder. Love the imposter line - my DH asks if I'm feeling well if I pass on pizza. Well, i never pass TOTALLY, but pass on seconds, I should clarify.

Great job, BeverlyJoy, with the loss reflected at the dietician!

Closing in on your birthday eve, Maryann - focus on that goal and expect a good number. Sounds like you're focused for no choice these next few days. Work it!

GardenerJoy - thank you for posting - I think i needed to hear that someone else in here is having trouble planning. Usually I'm a better planner ... need to get back to that. Doing great breakfast/lunch but need to work on dinner.

And BillBlueEyes - you are right on with the "won't reach goal by not following my plan." Thank you - that resonated with me. I lost a hunk of weight years ago by planning my meals, including splurges, and followed that plan solidly, exercised regularly. Lately my plans have been MIA. And where's that getting me? ... Thanks for the focus.
  • Wedneday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – The cast on my left leg is gone. Goodbye cast. That's a milestone that's easy to measure. Now I want one of those magic tools that cuts through a fiberglass cast but can't harm the skin. As well as a neat reverse-pliers that forces the parts of the cast apart. (If I'm ever depressed, just give me tools to lift my spirits.) I did leave with an ankle support/brace to wear for two weeks and a directive to go to physical therapy for six weeks. But immediate exercise - ever so minimally CREDIT moi - was walking about, very slowly, teaching myself to put my left foot forward, pointing straight ahead, and bending my ankle as I walked. Seems I've learned how to walk with a cast and need to unlearn that. No, I don't have osteoporosis which the doctor so patiently explained would be a disease with my bones most common in post-menopausal women, and, more reasonably, I don't seem to have osteopenia which is when the normal degeneration of the bones happens faster than in others. So at least I learned a new word for my visit.

It was an onplan eating day, CREDIT moi. I didn't celebrate with food - even when two-byte brownies appeared once again. Broiled salmon at dinner made me feel like I was on the Super Foods Diet. Unfortunately, dinner conversation turned to telling our future great-grandchildren that the oceans used to contain fish since DW is reading a pessimistic book about the environment. Think I'll give her Sound of Music for Christmas, LOL.

onebyone – Congrats on another painting sold - with Kudos for making it such a fun thing for the recipient and for yourself. (Did you wear your happy green hat that's in your avatar?) Yep, "Breathe again" - you can pull yourself forward.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Monster Kudos for No Choice to good chocolate. The "Halo Effect" of chocolate's benefits is a siren call.

Beverlyjoy – Congrats on those two pounds - you can't beat the slow and steady ones.

maryann - Yay for "No Choice" as your mantra. This eating season so requires a strong response.

BigchiefDavid – LOL that it would be an impostor who could push aside Popeye's Fried Chicken - addictive stuff that is. Kudos for recognizing and enjoying your "dieting high."

nationalparker – Ouch for your DH having the flu - what a pain. Double Ouch for living with someone with the flu - a double pain. Kudos for a planned, accountable response to the office popcorn. Occasionally someone posts that popcorn is a vegetable, but doesn't get very much positive support, LOL. Good luck with the big Italian Christmas meal - pasta style Italian is difficult for me to eat in moderation.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 1
    The Key to Success

the solution at a glance
    • Cognitive Therapy is a psychological treatment that will help you successfully lose excess weight and keep it off.
    • The way you think about food, eating, and dieting affects your behavior and how you feel emotionally.
    • Certain ways of thinking make it difficult to follow a diet and to maintain weight loss.
    • The Beck Diet Solution takes you through a six-week process to change sabotaging thoughts (that cause you to stray from your diet) to helpful thinking (that will lead to success).
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 25.
  • Hi Coaches!

I had a poor day with food yesterday which ended with my having some leftovers from the party instead of my planned dinner. credit for having the sense ETA-NOT to eat the dinner that DH cooked, too. I went to bed early and in the wee hours I identified iseveral items of unfinished business "eating at me". Not sleeping anyway, I got up and finished all but one which I am working on now. Today is a trip to Denver (in a snowstorm) for mom's monthly eye appt. I will call before going down just in case they decide not to open. As soon as I have that answer I'll plan for either meals at home or meals out.credit moi. Scale is buried in an office reno but will reappear for tomorrows weigh in.

BigChiefDavid, so sorry about your pup, Lily. We're nursing one now. They are sure the most wonderful friends!

BBE, congrats on the removal of your cast and best wishes as you reintegrate that castless leg back into everyday life.
  • coming 'round.
    Coaches

I think I am finally coming 'round emotionally. That whole business with DH's father just hung over me like a bucket of water teetering on the top edge of a door threatening to fall on me, but it just never did. I just felt the threat. So, thankfully, this mood is lifting and I can feel my desire to get right with myself return. Right being: eat right, get this place ready to receive the gift of new free furniture, get the studio in order and get working on new stuff and on my one remaining holiday commission.

Foodwise I will be tracking today and will be eating from scratch. I have a planned walk for this afternoon to pick up my first pair of prescription sunglasses. Exciting. It's a bright sunny day too so I will get to wear them home, like a cool chick!

Best be off.
    I'll check back later.
  • Yesterday would have gone better had I written a plan. Today I have a written plan. Even better, today's plan is based on the winter menu ideas I wrote down yesterday. I'm excited because these menus represent some ideas and experiments for how I can continue to have homemade bread from the bread machine in my life but with fewer incidents of overeating. I think they'll work and, as Beverlyjoy says, I'm grateful for the willingness that surrounds my new menus.

My plan is designed for bread to be eaten no more than once a day. It incorporates the knowledge that I will eat bread when it comes out of the bread machine. Which means that days like today, when there's bread in the bread machine, lunch happens when the bread is done. The clock says it's lunch time. The bread machine says lunch in an hour. I will wait for the bread machine. Hunger is not an emergency. Noon is even less of an emergency.

When I was a kid, I lived across the street from the industrial plant where my dad worked. A whistle blew in our neighborhood at noon and 4:30 to let the moms know that the dads were on their way home. Lunch at noon comes with a sound track of a steam whistle in my brain.

WI: +0.25 kgs, Exercise: +30 735/1400 minutes for December, Food: NA%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Woohoo! I'm so happy that your cast is gone.
  • Good Evening!
    Hey Coaches and Becksters,

Today's assignment was a pretty easy although my wife and I celebrated a little and went out to one of New Orleans many fine restaurants. Thankfully the menu was online so I could plan my meal and it wasn't a strap-on-the-feed bag kind of eatery. I ate till I was full, and even though the walk is hypothetical, we went for a nice stroll through the French Quarter. Lovely.

Great night and no regrets in terms of diet or otherwise

Until that time...
  • Thursday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Seems that it will take a little while for this walking without a cast to seem normal. A brief one mile walk, CREDIT moi, was tiring to my ankle - kinda embarrassing, LOL. Oh, Well.

But I didn't eat about it, CREDIT moi - it was an on plan day. At an event, DW was offered a platter of leftover homemade cookies "to take home to Bill;" she refused saying that I wouldn't eat them. That makes me so happy. When I chose not to go walk an errand because my ankle didn't feel like it, I was frustrated and immediately thought that some of DW's trail mix was just what was needed. Wrong. I saw through that one pretty quickly. Food does not fix frustration.

Cool Chick (onebyone) – Yay for the sun coming back in your life. Good luck with getting ready for the infusion of furniture.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at this one, "Noon is even less of an emergency" - Beck needs to add that to her book for those of us who eat by the clock, regardless.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – The snow in your area sounds rough; hope you're surviving. (I mentally inserted the "not" in your original post, LOL.)

BigchiefDavid – I drool. New Orleans has so many top restaurants you could have gone to. Kudos for choosing one that "wasn't a strap-on-the-feed bag kind of eatery."

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2
    What Really Makes You Eat

Do you ever feel as if you eat automatically, that eating is somehow out of your conscious control? Many of the dieters I've worked with certainly have felt this way at times.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 26.
  • First off -congrats, BBE, for the removal of the cast! Good luck with the strengthening up there, but the mile walk so quickly is major kudos/credits.

I'm not doing as well as I'd liked to but am not sticking to the NO CHOICE as well as I should be. Conveniently, I can think that when the treats in the work kitchen that literally (!) change every two hours are something that I don't care for - oh, macadamia nut white chocolate drizzled caramel corn - ehh.. NO CHOICE. Easy. But then - Ohhhh... cashews? They're healthy and will fit into my plan - count out 8 - that's about 75 calories ... jackpot. WHAT? I don't need them just because they're free. They're around all year. I need to review and go back a week or so, I think. Busy and no sitting around at home, so credit for that - no snacking on the go.

Planned for a healthy snack (big gorgeous gala apple) and soup lunch from home; set there. Now to remember that No Choice doesn't just mean the stuff i don't like.
  • Onderland!!!!!
    I am doing cartwheels this morning because I am now out of the 200s! I still find myself very nervous to part with clothes that are too big (unless I really hated them anyway) because of fear that I will fall off and rebound to a higher weight. But, I am building confidence that I will manage by reading about others' successful transition to maintenance using Beck skills.

I have been so hungry the last 2 weeks. So, my plan today as follows: I just ate Oatmeal for breakfast and am having coffee with my 1 oz milk. I will drink my water throughout the day. I will have a salad and mini- pizza at lunch. I will have 1 snack late afternoon. I will have salad with cucumbers and tomatoes and chicken with taco-style seasoning for dinner with my minerals. I am super tired today due to my dog keeping me up very late last night (she is elderly and not feeling well right now). I am also achy with fibromyalgia and stressed about some writing I need to finish (last Friday, yikes!). If I cannot manage with this plan, I will eat extra salad and take a walk or fold laundry.

BillBlueEyes, so sorry to read about the broken fibula. Congratulations on getting the cast off. That must have been really a trial given your propensity for meandering walks.

NationalParker, hi! I used to post hear daily but haven't posted in a long while, so nice to meet you. You can totally stay on plan today. I love nuts as well, but one strategy I picked up from BBE is that they aren't really unique to warrant derailing your plan. Good luck!
  • Hi Coaches!

I weighed this morning then later while drinking coffee thought I hadn't...I just wasn't awake and it was automatic. credit. I had an incredible food day yesterday although it wasn't about being off or on plan. It was about finding new spots with reasonably healthy Vegan choices...the first was a Thai restaurant for lunch near my mom's appt (a small place you can watch the tiny lady cook) and the second was actually Wh.Foods where they had an incredible one day deal on tamales. I asked if they had any without meat and the answer was we only have vegetarian and vegan. Oh my, I switched our dinner plan and resisted urges to have more than included in my "portion" and even remembered to add the salad.

FutureFitChick, kudos for success skills which have landed you in onederland!

BigChiefDavid, love those days with no regrets!

BBE, pace yourself!

everyone else! Keep up the great work!

I must go....I have a quiet home, at the moment, and could actually sit down and read from my Beck book. I don't usually get that uninteruppted time.
    Bye