Dried Shiitake Mushrooms Calorie Labelling!

• First off, I'm a MUSHROOM LOVER!! Been obsessed with them for a long time, not even just for amazingly delicious and healthful eating but even identification and scavenging, haha.

Anyway, the most recent package of dried shiitake we bought has the nutrition label saying "4 mushrooms (28g), 100 calories."

That doesn't seem right to me....they're not even like large sized or anything. I'm assuming it's some mistake with the dried vs reconstituted weight, but I can't put my finger exactly on whats wrong!

Any ideas?? Regardless, for the time being I'm still gonna keep eating as usual. Just am curious!!
  • MFP lists 4 dried shiitake mushroom at 44 calories... Which sounds about right to me...
  • they're mushrooms loaded with beef! Only explanation!

44 calories sounds about right.
  • Melissa's Produce sells dried shiitake mushrooms and their label says 7 mushrooms have just 25 calories. However, it also says this serving size only weighs 7g. If your 28g serving has 100 calories then that sounds about right. However, I doubt 4 dried shiitake mushrooms weigh that much. Do you have a kitchen scale that weighs in grams?
  • Alas, I do not have a kitchen scale! That sounds like the right way to test this, though..
  • I can't really suggest anything more than what's already been said, but...

I did want to say that I too, am a MUSHROOM LOVER... That is all!
  • Quote: I can't really suggest anything more than what's already been said, but...

I did want to say that I too, am a MUSHROOM LOVER... That is all!
    Hooray for mushrooms!! XD
  • I really need to try shiitake mushrooms... And for all you mushroom lovers, try the fresh-prepared stuffed mushrooms from Giant Eagle. About 150 calories for 5-6 mushrooms stuffed with multiple cheese and garlic. They also have a southwest one that contains cheese, corn, salsa, etc.