Losing weight at 50

You're on Page 9 of 34
Go to
  • :hello: Emaline29 I hope that you are doing well and I am sorry that your computer is going so slow. Maybe time for a defrag?? Hope you are doing well

April Snow - Glad you are feeling a need for food. That is nice to hear as it makes it alittle more normal in your insides. (tho it is nice sometimes to not be hungry) I am glad that you are more relaxed and that your Dad got up out of the bed. Those hospitals do want people moving as soon as they can don't they?! So glad for that good news for him and you. Sleep - ah over the weekend for you I hope? And I am going to try and get certified in CPR but will probably need to go do a Nursing Assistant class - which will help with hourly wage. Thank you for asking ))) More that I learn and know the better my mind stays (this getting older is the PITS!)

Julie - ANB I hope that you are doing well this weekend and the fall weather is nice for you.

Happy Friday evening all! on to my taco meat salad.. yummy yummy
  • Hi Rhonda Marie -
    Hope things are going well for you.
    Losing weight can be challenging at any age .. I think you will start feeling better as you lose. Weight.
    I understand about the Fibro, I have had it for sometime but I do not take meds ..I use distraction and try to keep warm and active .
  • Hi lovely ladies,
    Glad everyone is doing well even with a few ups and downs, welcome lizzy, and it is good to see that your dad is still doing well and out of bed for the first time, and I know the feeling it is a pain not sleeping, I suffer from insomnia and it is the pits. It sounds like you are making some big changes to Sue working with people sounds very rewarding and an important job, my mum has in homecare as she has early onset dementia and I know she loves the carers and would be lost without them, they are making it possible to stay in her own home and making her feel important and worthwhile, so I commend you, and good luck. emaline29 not to worry I tend to go AWOL at times to, my computer does the same sometimes it is slower than a wet week, but it is good to meet you and say Hi, well I have a quiet weekend planned and then back into study on Monday, I am really enjoying going for my Diploma in Counselling it is something I have wanted to do for years, well take care and stay safe and be happy everyone
  • Hello to you all. I hope that everyone is having (or had - Julie) a great weekend. Oh I have a buffet brunch party to go to today. Alittle nervous as people are bringing bakery sweets, french toast, quiches, pizza bites, etc... all the lovely stuff my taste buds have not tasted in over 2 months. I have decided that I am going to eat my breakfast 1 hour before I go (it starts at 12:00 and its for my great friend who is releasing a new CD - new agey piano stuff - today) That should help me ignore that other "stuff" I hope.. I hope... funny thing ... I was asked to bring goodies too... so I made a date bread and homemade cinnamon rolls and they are NOT coming home with me... It was bad enough when I had a couple of finger swipes of the bowl LOL Wish me luck today!

April Snow... I hope that your Dad is outta bed eating food today. That would be super (and has a date to go home set!) Have you been able to sleep in alittle?

Julie.. I hope that the weekend relaxing makes the studying easier

Roo2 Hello to you!

Emaline... Did your computer get cleaned up?

Salena 11 and Weight2lose, hiphipaway, minidoodles and slmn: Just checking.. Is everything going aok and on track for you?

Oklizzy.. How are things going with the tandem? I envy that you have a buddy (family) in this lovely trip
  • Happy Sunday everyone!! Ended up with a good week on the scale, down 2.8.

No date for my dad to come home yet, but he's doing well, sitting up and eating real food. So I hope he will get out of ICU today or tomorrow and then they will be willing to start planning for him to come home. He may have to go directly into a hospital here for a few days, but it will still be such a huge relief if he's local.

Wanna, good luck with the brunch today! I always bring deviled eggs for brunch. I make them with light mayo, so I can enjoy them and know that I have some good protein to eat and then I can ignore all the sweet stuff.
  • April Snow,., Yeah for the good news, for you and your Dad

I resisted temptation and my friends Brother in law smoked some beef that had been seasoned with "swamp" seasoning.. LOL No carb he promised and it was good. I looked at all the cakes and pasta salads and cookies, Cheesecakes, and the flavored Vodka's (did you know they make Chocolate whipped cream vodka? ohhhhh boy) That was HARD! But I did good. Whew. Passed that test today LOL

Hugs to you all!
  • I'm new too and in a mixed-metabolism marriage
    I am lucky in that I'm not disabled although I have asthma which is aggravated by exercise. I just started on a new regimen of nasal steroids and puff-through-the-mouth steroids. I find dieting very hard because I have a husband who is an endurance athlete and he's always eating, plus a teen-age son. The only way I'm going to control the kind of food in this house is to move out of it. I need help being able to watch my calories when tempting foods are always smuggled in and waiting to ambush me. I think the only way I'm going to succeed is by keeping myself from being hungry. It's really hard when I start to crave certain foods and they pop up in my freezer. Or when my husband and son start chowing down on stuff that makes me want to eat it in front of me. When my husband tries not to eat high calorie foods, he's very cranky. How do you manage a mixed metabolism family in which you are both the only person with a slow metabolism and the one who makes the food?
  • PunkysMom

Gosh I have no idea. I live alone so cannot help. But maybe one of the lovely people in this thread can help you. You might want to also post a thread in General Weight Loss/Weighth Loss Support. That might get you more answers. I wish you luck and a good answer that can help from someone!
  • Welcome Punkysmom!

I'm in a somewhat similar situation - although it's just me and my 8 year old son and no husband. My son has a very fast metabolism and hovers right around clinically underweight numbers. So I have to balance what I eat with what he eats, and he's got to eat foods that are calorie dense - mostly healthy but he can not just afford, but needs the extra calories from having ice cream, cookies and milk, etc.

A few things that help me:

I'm doing a low carb, low fat plan. And at least for me, it really takes away my cravings to eat sweets and other off plan foods. I can still look at a cookie and think "ok, yes, those are good" but I'm fine with not eating it. I personally would struggle a lot more if I were more tempted to eat that food, but I'm not with the way I eat.

However, having said that, I try to pick things that he likes that I don't really care for. So for instance, I'm not a fan of nuts in cookies or ice cream, so I usually get ones with nuts, and he's fine with that. Or I let him pick out garishly colored, sickly sweet things that I am never tempted by at all.

And I cook separate meals for us, for the most part. It's just not worth it to me to try to come up with compromises that work for both of us. It's really important for me to be able to truly enjoy the food I eat, that is what keeps me happy with my plan and able to stick with it so well. But he needs the starches and higher fat foods, so that's what I give him. It's a little extra work, but losing the weight and getting healthier is worth it.
  • Hello everyone!! I hope that it is a Good Day for us all! I am hoping for a call back for a face to face job interview with a big time co. OOOOHHHH I hope so. It has been so wonderful to have this time off of work (since 11/2 lay off). I think it was G's will that I needed to start to think about my health and happiness. Since I started on a healthy eating/exercise program 1/6 I have felt happier and happier everyday inside my mind. I am so glad that I started and am even happier that you all are here! Sometimes I really believe in destiny!!

So here's hoping to have another positive happen to me today and a good happy thing to happen to everyone on this forum!
  • Unfortunately the news got bad again after yesterday and my dad is just out of another 10 hour surgery. He's in guarded condition but they said for now, he's holding his own, although the doctor admitted he was surprised and most people wouldn't have made it though this surgery. esp. not after the one last week.

Please keep praying for him and for us.
  • Hi ladies
    Wantoskipandlaugh got my fingers crossed you get the job. Sometimes we don't know why things happen in our life but if they didn't we would not be where we are. Hope that makes sense.
    I know in my life going through difficult times brought me things I would have never experienced had not my path been detoured.

April Snow Praying for your Dad's recovery 10 hours what an ordeal for the whole family to endure, prayers sweet April for you

Punky'sMom- I live in a house filled with things I will never be able to eat... But this is life. And I can either accept it or indulge in something that I clearly know is harmful to my health. So yes it may taste yummy but it is like ingesting a poison for me ....and I refuse to make myself any sicker or do anymore damage then I have already done. It took me a while but I finally got it through my Thick Skull just because others can eat a host of things does not mean I can.
    Hopefully you will find something that helps you put things into prospective....
    Mine was I was ruining my health ....and I owned to myself and my family to take care of myself.
    Took my daughter to Mc Donald's today she had Shamrock Shake and A Grilled Chicken Wrap ....I had nothing. And I was Ok with it....Just a New Normal.
    Not everything that is out there is meant for everyone ...may not be fair....but sometimes that is how life turns out. Don't get me wrong still love Junk Food but it doesn't love me back....So we gotta Break Up and Never Look Back!

Talk to you all later,:cupgold :
    Roo2
  • Thank Roo2

Oh April Snow.... Oh gosh.. you and your Dad have bunches of prayers from me. I am so sorry. But he must be a very strong man to have come thru an operation that the doctor did not think he could. That means something! Believe.... to you !
  • Hello all...

Well my interview went really well. But I will not know anything for 3 weeks. I am up against 3 other people the Op Mgr who interviewed me told me. But she was very complimentary to me.. So that makes me feel positive. I felt good going into the interview cause I felt so much lighter (weight wise) Gosh I am so glad I started to lose weight and get healthier. I don't know where I would be (probably still in bed crying) if I had not started 1/6. But the best thing is... you all here with your encouragement and stories. You have helped save my happiness and helped my outlook in life. I thank you all very much!

April Snow. I pray everyday for your Dad. I hope that you hear GOOD news today. Really good news.

I hope you all have a really happy and great Friday (weekend is winking at us) and next week.... Lower numbers!!

Sue
  • Hey there Rhonda, I too am in my 50's and am disabled as well. I need to lose weight as well and joined this site to get support. Exercise when disabled or limited in some other way is difficult but it can be done. You just need to find something that gets you moving without adding extra pain.

I hope that you enjoy this group and get the support that you need.