vegetarian jambalaya

• Hi! Does anyone have a recipe for a vegetarian version of jambalya? I would love it if someone did.
  • Judi,

I've not seen a recipe for v. jambalaya, but I bet you could make a pretty fair substitution using a regular recipe with diced Boca Burger or some veggie sausage.

Annie
  • Hi! Thanks for the hint. I know Morningstar makes really flavourful sausage patties so I could use that. I have managed to copy cat a lot of recipes with just the seasonings but I think jambalaya might need something more than that.
  • Creole Vegetable & Red Bean Jambalaya
    From The Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook:

2 Tbs virgin olive oil
    1 green bell pepper, seeded & diced
    1 onion, diced
    1 tomato, diced
    8-10 white button mushrooms, sliced
    1 cup diced eggplant
    1 cup diced chayote or zucchini
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1-2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
    3/4 cup water or vegetable stock
    1/2 cup chopped okra
    8 broccoli florets
    1/2 cup cooked red or black beans
    1 Tbs dry red wine
    1 tbs dried oregano
    1 tbs mined fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
    1-2 tsp red pepper sauce
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp white pepper
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    4 cups cooked brown rice

Heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the bell pepper, onion, tomato, mushrooms, eggplant, chayote or zucchini, celery and garlic, stirring over medium heat until tender-crisp, about 10-12 minutes. Lower the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients except rice. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve over rice.

Per serving: 427 Cal., 12 g Prot; 10g Fat; 75g Carb., 0 mg Chol; 410 mg Sod; 11g Fiber.
  • Here's another one- Jambalaya with Tempeh
    From the same book - Tempeh and TVP (textured vegetable protein; available in natural food stores) take the place of meat in this Creole dish.

2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 Tbs virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1 green or red bell pepper, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
    2 cups prepared TVP (1 cup dry TVP reconsitituted in 1 cup boiling water)
    12 oz tempeh, cut into bite-sized chunks
    1 cup uncooked brown rice
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp dried sage
    1/2 tsp dried marjoram
    1 tsp salt
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Dash hot pepper sauce
    parsley sprigs, for garnish

Marinate the tomatoes in the wine for 1 hour. Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the oil over low heat. Cook the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic, stirring, until the onion is translucent, about 15 minutes. Stir in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients (including the marinated tomatoes and marinade) except the garnish. Add water, if necessary, to cover the ingredients in the pot. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fluff with a fork. Garnish with parsley springs

Per serving: 398 cal; 23g Prot; 12g Fat; 38g Carb; 0 mg Chol; 376mg Sod; 6 g Fiber.

Also from the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook!
  • Mrs. Jim! THANK YOU!!! Both recipes look SOOO good. I can't wait to try them. Thanks again!