What time of day do YOU do it?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm curious to know when everyone is able to fit exercise into their schedules. When do you do your workout? I do mine mostly in the mornings, during my break at work. I want to make it a habit of getting up early to do it before work so I have the rest of the day to take care of everything else. Occasionally I do an evening workout, like a walk or run.

So when do you workout?
  • I haven't gone to the gym in a while because of an injury, but when I did, I usually went right after I got off work. So, I was at gym around 4:30pm.

I always told myself I would go nice and early before work (like at 5am), but I could never do it! It sure would be nice to get it out of the way early and have the rest of the day for myself, but I am just not a morning person
  • I know mornings are best but I can't drag myself out of bed that early so work out in the evenings. The downside of evening workouts is sometimes it amps me up too much to fall asleep, and sometimes I skip the workout because I'm tired or busy. My goal is to eventually find the willpower to switch to morning workouts.
  • I've been consistently going and running around 10-11pm. I could probably fix it during the day, and probably will when it gets colder.
  • I prefer to exercise in the evening. But I swim, so I find that it has always been an activity for the evening. It's really good for decreasing stress levels, so I find I usually sleep better when I've been swimming. But then again I'm not a morning person, and knowing I'm swimming in the evening gives me something to look forward to all day.
  • i work out monday-friday from 12-2pm at the YMCA. i drop my son off at vo-tech school for his aftenoon class n the Y is across the road n hes done at 2:15. it just worked out perfectly. then between 8-10pm i take dog for her 30 minute bedtime walk.
  • I like to exercise in the evening, around 9:00. First, it isn't as crowded at that time. Also, I can come home, have dinner and spend time with my kids until they go to sleep. So, I don't miss out on that.

Another reason I like to go at this time is because I have found that if I sit around the house watching TV in the late evening (around 10:00) I am tempted to snack -- even if I am not that hungry. I also find that after doing physical activity my appetite go to zero. So, I know I won't be snacking at the gym, and after getting home at 10:30 - 11:00 I'm not hungry because I've just exercised. Its a win win for me.

The big thing is getting motivated to actually go to the gym!
  • On weekdays I work out around 7pm when my partner starts getting our daughter ready for bed. On the weekends I exercise first thing in the morning.
  • I workout at the gym somewhere in the 9-11pm time range. I try to get there after the gym rush. I like going when not many people are there and when I can see lots of empty treadmills around me. I get my hour in and I'm good.
  • I'm a student, so I tend to be able to exercise whenever it suits me. I prefer to exercise in the evening, because I have more energy so I can push myself harder. It's also when stress from the day starts to build up, so I end up spending that night feeling good and relaxed.
  • Most of the time it was over my lunch break (60-90 minutes) to break up my work day. Now I'm unemployed and I'm all over the place with when I exercise, often multiple times during the day as I'm not quite sure what to do with myself after nearly 30 years of working!
  • I normally do it when I get home from work around 5:30-6 or when my boyfriend is around because he likes helping me workout

When I was fit, I used to work out every morning at 5:30am 6x/week. Now I can't be bothered and I hit snooze until I need to go to work. I hope I regain energy with getting back into shape!
  • i prefer to work out in the morning at some point because it's a good start to my day and then even if i'm tired later, it will still have gotten done

during the summer i worked out around 5:30-6 a.m. at the gym and now during my winter work schedule, i'm usually there around 11 a.m. depending on the day and what's going on....tomorrow i have to work out at 8:30 a.m. because i have meetings to be at by 10 a.m.
  • I don't exercise until the late afternoon/early evening... which can be problematic, because I always run the risk of coming up with an excuse why I can't by that time....

So I'm trying to force myself to get it out of the way first thing in the morning, so then it's over and done with and the only excuses I have when I get up is that "I'm tired" and "I just don't feel like it" which are just plain lame... and I just need to GET OVER IT already....
  • It's really cool to see how everyone incorporates exercise to fit into their lifestyle! I see a majority of people do it in the evening, which I used to do. Then there are people who do it over lunch time, and then a few do it in the morning, or used to but now find a different time of day to do it.

When I did evening workouts, I stuck with it for a while but then school got in the way and I lost that extra time. Then I began doing it over my lunch break and that has worked well for a while, but now I am feeling too rushed so I can't just relax and enjoy them like I used to. That's why I want to really push myself to get up and exercise at 5am before work so I can go ahead and do it. Going to start that tomorrow so we shall see how it goes