Thoughtful Thursday

• If you've ever thought of quitting, how did you overcome those thoughts/desires?
  • Each day is a new start. Heck, each meal is a new start! And quitting is simply not an option. I often ask myself where I want to be one year from now . . . better off or worse off? And I don't want to be worse off yet again. I don't want mobility issues. I don't want to feel ashamed and hiding. I want to be in the driver's seat when it comes to my health, I want to be in control and give myself the brightest future I can. I don't want every little aspect of my life to be a complete chore like it used to at my highest weight. I used to have a lot of problems with breathing. Just breathing!

Giving up and caving in to a moment's desire simply isn't worth it sliding back into unhealthy territory.
  • Oh, I have thought of quitting many times. To remind myself of how important weight loss is to my life, there are a number of things that I can do.

* look at pictures of me at my highest,
    * remember what it was like to have difficulty walking from the car to my office
    * review my list of desired outcomes
    * read my old posts here
    * Picture what my life will be like with 100 less pounds.
  • Honestly...I have thought about quitting.
    I went through a **** of a lot of personal stuff this year that really threw me in a tailspin. I gained back 30 pounds (of 80 that I'd lost from Jan to August of 2011) and was so angry at myself when I got back on the scale. I spent a few months so annoyed that I couldn't bring myself to diet and exercise--like I didn't deserve it anymore. I didn't quit....some days I would eat well...but indulged in a lot of wine and sweets. But...I finally realized a few weeks ago that I could either give up and not keep going towards the goal that I've been trying so hard for, or get my butt off the couch, work out, and eat the way I know makes me feel better and makes the weight come off. So I jumped back in and am trying not to stress about it, not take it so seriously. Little jags off plan are fine, quitting is not an option. I have to get this weight off for my health.
  • I get through whatever the next meal/snack/exercise/etc. For example, if I want to eat like crap (like a half pound bag of peanut M&Ms for breakfast?), I just think, "Stay on plan for breakfast. After breakfast, decide what you're going to do." And after breakfast, I am usually in a better frame of mind for addressing the situation.

Sometimes I want to give up entirely. Usually after the scale goes in the direction I am not expecting after a lot of effort! It's hard but I try to remember that giving up just means wasting ALL the previous work.