Goals for FitnessPal App

• So, I decided to try the fitnesspal app, since I've seen it mentioned any number of times on this forum. Since I have just been journaling, not counting calories, etc, I really have no idea how I should set the goals for daily calories, carbs, etc.

Can anyone who's using this app (or not) share what a typical day should like like for calories, carbs, fat, protein??

Ultimately seems like this will be eaiser than the paper booklet.
  • Quote: So, I decided to try the fitnesspal app, since I've seen it mentioned any number of times on this forum. Since I have just been journaling, not counting calories, etc, I really have no idea how I should set the goals for daily calories, carbs, etc.

Can anyone who's using this app (or not) share what a typical day should like like for calories, carbs, fat, protein??

Ultimately seems like this will be eaiser than the paper booklet.
    I've been using myfitnesspal.com just to log my intake every day, but I pretty much ignore the "daily goals" for calories/carbs/fats etc. I am just using Phase 1 time to get in the habit of logging everything, so that when Phase 3 and 4 come I don't have to retrain myself!
  • Quote: I've been using myfitnesspal.com just to log my intake every day, but I pretty much ignore the "daily goals" for calories/carbs/fats etc. I am just using Phase 1 time to get in the habit of logging everything, so that when Phase 3 and 4 come I don't have to retrain myself!
    That's what I do too. I ignore all their presets and just use it to track things. I love how many different foods they have in their database too.
  • I use a different app but same concept. I changed my preset to 1050 calories. I'm generally way under at around 800-900. If I get close or go over target, it turns red and this has helped me understand how small food choices can add up.
  • I used the custom settings on myfitnesspal.
    I was most concerned with the amount of protein I was getting (as I used vegetarian proteins). It was very helpful for that. As you go to the different phases, you change the calories and composition, so I don't have the exact amounts I used to use (and honestly, it used to hover around 800 calories.)

Start with 1100 for calories as that is the "advertised" calories with the new 8oz protein requirement.

Mess with the % protein until that gets to be around 85g. (That is a rough number based on 40g for dinner, 18g for breakfast & lunch, and 15g for snack.)

Next mess with the % fat number. It's probably going to be 20%, which should be at least 10g for the oil and another 10g for fat in the protein and the packets.

The balance is carbs.

Myfitnesspal will "yell at you" about it being below 1200. Don't worry about it.

It is awesome for doing the tracking IF you don't get too tweaked out about not meeting targets or having what you think are too many carbs. My coach does use it as a food diary with some of her clients.

It might help spot a trend like too many higher carb or higher calorie vegetables and a subsequent drop in weight loss.

Hope that helps.
  • i love it. i just set mine to a "2 lb" a week loss, it calculated everything for me....i mostly just use it to track and get a visual im always way under my calorie goal but its nice to see.

my protein is way over the amount they give me but thats expected
  • Quote: I used the custom settings on myfitnesspal.
    I was most concerned with the amount of protein I was getting (as I used vegetarian proteins). It was very helpful for that. As you go to the different phases, you change the calories and composition, so I don't have the exact amounts I used to use (and honestly, it used to hover around 800 calories.)

Start with 1100 for calories as that is the "advertised" calories with the new 8oz protein requirement.

Mess with the % protein until that gets to be around 85g. (That is a rough number based on 40g for dinner, 18g for breakfast & lunch, and 15g for snack.)

Next mess with the % fat number. It's probably going to be 20%, which should be at least 10g for the oil and another 10g for fat in the protein and the packets.

The balance is carbs.

Myfitnesspal will "yell at you" about it being below 1200. Don't worry about it.

It is awesome for doing the tracking IF you don't get too tweaked out about not meeting targets or having what you think are too many carbs. My coach does use it as a food diary with some of her clients.

It might help spot a trend like too many higher carb or higher calorie vegetables and a subsequent drop in weight loss.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you so much - that is exactly what I wanted to do!!!