Pseudo-maitenance

• Hey, soo... I haven't been on 3FC for awhile. Life has taken over big time but I still think about this place fondly.

Long story short, I think I'm calling maintenance at least for the time being. I haven't lost any weight in a few months and haven't really been trying to either. I have maintained, though, and have a nice new wardrobe to show for it.

Overall, I'm really pretty happy with my body. Sure, I'd like to have a somewhat smaller waist and it would've been nice to lose that last pound to get me officially into the "healthy BMI" range, but despite that when I look in the mirror, I'm really happy with myself. I'm happy with how I feel at this weight and the level of exercise that I'm doing. I don't feel remotely starved with my diet and I worry too that to go lower would be difficult because of my work schedule (both in terms of finding more time to exercise and because I travel often for work and don't also have the best food choices available).

Emotionally, I feel like I'm at a good place with my relationship to food. I had some major stress at the beginning of the summer and managed that without turning to chocolate. A BIG step for me!

So, mostly, I just wanted to introduce myself officially to this part of 3FC. I still haven't taken off the table that I might try to lose another 6lbs so I'm within the healthy BMI range with a few pounds to spare but I know for the time being I just can't and would rather enjoy my new body without watching the scale so much (well, I still weigh myself often to check but not in the hope of losing, if that makes sense).

• yay for you!!!! I think sometimes we get stuck in the "I need to be perfect" and not realize that getting "close" is also pretty darn awesome. You have done great and have reason to feel this is a good spot for you!
  • Welcome to maintenance.

I think there are many roads that lead here, and yours is one that is well-traveled: Deciding on a higher number than the dream number or the BMI chart number, after serious thought and after thinking about what kind of life you want to have.

I do have to say that weight training has given me a smaller waist without changing the scale number. A smaller waist but bigger thighs -- that's the tradeoff.
  • Welcome to maintenance .Congratulations on a great loss !
  • berryblondeboys - Thanks so much! I definitely agree, sometimes the quest for perfection ends up being more work than is needed. I can't even describe how much better I feel now after this quite long journey (it's been over 2 years new since I originally started!!!) so I'm happily take almost perfect.

saef - Thank you! I know my choice is going to lead to some issues locally because the doctors are obsessed with the BMI charts here but, in reality, I've come to peace with it myself for the time being and that has to be good enough.

I've actually been doing heavy lifting for over a year now. I'm limited on what I can do with my legs due to bad knees but I do quite a bit of upper body work+swimming. I think I just have a very straight mid-section and have come to realize that even with further weight loss I'm never going to have a nipped in waist. Such is life.

bargoo thanks!
  • Oh, and I figure I'll post some pictures too, I didn't think of doing that in the original post.

Close to my highest.. maybe 210lbs here? Could be more... I don't have much from that time.

Currently ~156lbs

You can see more progress pictures here and here.
  • You look fantastic! Congratulations, and welcome to this side of the board.
  • You look fabulous!
    Congratulations!!
    Many of us struggle with what our "ideal" weight is and what is necessary to get to that point.
    I'm currently 6 pounds higher than my "ideal" but happy enough that I'm not working hard enough to take it off. I may or I may not. I know it is my choice.
  • Quote: I've actually been doing heavy lifting for over a year now. I'm limited on what I can do with my legs due to bad knees but I do quite a bit of upper body work+swimming. I think I just have a very straight mid-section and have come to realize that even with further weight loss I'm never going to have a nipped in waist. Such is life.
    I think you look awesome! Never underestimate the power of a wide belt! I'm shaped like you--a rectangle. We're not big or thick, just straight. I try to find clothes that create a waist, with set in waistbands or belts. Dd25 and I have a joke--when we try on something that's just ehhh--the other will say "Belt it." Strangely, belting it often works. "Belting it" is my son-in-law's only fashion advice!
  • Whoooo congrats! Welcome to maintenance! you look awesome and I'm glad you're back!
  • Congratulations.