i hate how i look..and hate how i feel

• After looking at my side profile from a window I was disgusted.. I had a baby 5 months ago and I seriously feel and look heavier than I was when I was 9 months pregnant. I really want to make a change but I don't even know where to start. Honestly I feel like going in my room and crying right now but I made myself this way so I'm the only one to blame. I'm feeling really down tonight.... Advice on any diets that are working for you guys would be helpful. I need a menu plan that I can follow.
  • Atkins is working wonders for me. I know how you feel, don't give in to those feelings! All you need to do is make an effort everyday, no matter how small. Love yourself no matter what your size and show yourself love by doing what YOU need. As moms we can get lost in our roles but we must maintain our sense of self!
  • My #1 advice is to educate yourself on how fat loss/gain works because you'll understand why the question you asked is entirely the wrong question.

Newsflash: EVERY DIET WORKS

You can pick literally any diet and lose weight if you follow it. I am unaware of any "diet" plan that doesn't work.

So educate yourself. Here is your first lesson.

Our bodies use energy every second we're alive. Even if you lay perfectly still you're using a lot of energy to stay alive. Your heart is beating, your lungs are pumping oxygen through your system and the rest of your internal organs are working. Sit up off the couch, get up to feed your baby and you start using more energy. Take your baby for a walk outside in his/her stroller and your energy needs will increase dramatically.

Food is converted to energy by your body. Excess energy is stored as fat.

If you eat less energy than your body needs it will take the energy from the stores (fat) to compensate.

The energy needs of the body will always be met.

Energy is measured in calories.

Thus, if you eat fewer calories than you use you will lose fat.

Why did I go through this long winded explaination? I personally believe if you start seeing food as energy that your body needs to stay alive and stop seeing food as good or bad you have taken the first step to losing fat and keeping it off forever.

Channel that negative energy you're feeling into taking action. Go on a walk. Walk fast. Take your baby. Do it every day. You've got this.
  • Honey....

go ahead & have that good cry. Then use your hate of how you look & how you feel to catapult you into doing something about it. And read John's post again. And again. And again. And come here OFTEN. And remember - it's a lifelong battle. It's not just losing weight or getting in shape. It's STAYING there, too.

You can do it. YES, YOU CAN.
  • Boy I can relate! Back in March I was exactly where you are now, except my baby was 3 months old then (now 8 months). I really felt down in the dumps about my body. What a difference a couple months makes!!! I've come a LONG way since March, but I can still vividly remember those feelings. I decided that I had total control over the way I felt because I had the power to change my body instead of just feel bad about it. I certainly haven't been perfect, but perfection isn't required!

You can do this, there is no question about that. And in 5 months (or 4 or 3 or less, who knows), you will feel so much better!!!

Like JohnP said, every diet works. You just have to find one that is maintainable for you.
  • The "diet" that is working for me is
    1) coming up with a list of foods I like
    2) making menu options for 5 different days that equal 1200calories (then I usually eat an extra 100-300calories of random things; this way I can have something if I really want it that day)
    3) on the meal plans I make, I have a visalus shake once a day (I am a HUGE carb/sugar/cake/ice cream/etc. person. I've found that these shakes are something I look forward to having and no longer get those "bad" cravings)

I hope you can find something that you'll love and want to stick with, and that you'll start loving yourself again! Also, congrats on the baby!
  • Thank you all for the kinds words and encouragement! I am going to do this! I know I can! I've been on this website all night and your stories and weight loss success inspires me. Again, thank you so much!
  • The first decision you need to make is if you need to lose weight or if you need to firm up your body. You might be at a healthy weight and just need some toning and exercise, or you might be 10, 20, 30 etc pounds overweight and want to lose that before focusing on toning.

If you're thinking about the scale, go for a diet. If you're thinking mostly about how you look, exercise is probably the best bet (with eating a moderately healthy way).
  • If you feel like crying, I'd suggest you cry. Then give yourself some pampering for an hour or so, and then get to work. The strength of your feelings here is a sign of the importance of this task for you. Remember that throughout!