A girl trying to find her Metabolism Miracle...

You're on Page 2 of 19
Go to
  • I don't have alot of time now, but I know what you mean. I will try and list some of what I have been eating. Finding low carb stuff has not worked for me either, we are in a small down near a slightly larger town which has some places to shop but I haven't taken the time to look for the NO carb jelly, syrup and stuff.

I thought I had posted the pancake recipe, but I accidentally posted the cheesecake one twice. Here is the pancake one. It actually takes good..my kids liked it. I was hoping to find no carb syrup but no luck with that. I ate it with natural peanut butter.
  • 5x5 Carb List---what I have eaten often I will update this as I think of more

*1 Chocolate Brownie Muffin
    *8 Mini Triscuit Crackers
    *1 Tortilla (with net carbs of 5 or less) I broil in the oven to brown with a little butter, salt & cheese after cutting into pieces
    *1 slice low carb bread(5 grams or less), toasted with natural peanut butter
  • You guys have my interest piqued. This could be jsut the solution I am looking for!

Carbs are the enemy KILL THE CARBS. I gain weight like noones business if I have too many carbs. So this book sounds like something I can do.

the 5x5 carbs rule is 5 carbs every 5 hours right?

And then keep it to no carbs for meals?

I will have to buy the book tomorrow.
  • I am going to have to check out my blood in the morning when I wake up. I tested it once and it was 94, that was mid day. So jsut to be sure I will check in the am.

I have an appt tomorrow at 1:30 for a wellness check and then off to town for a Thyroid check. So my Wellness will include my Blood Pressure. I will ask if I can get a total blood work up just to see what the levels are across the board.

I did take the quiz and according to said quiz Met B is for me.

Thanks, I will check out the book tomorrow and get to reading and get some panels done.
  • OK! Kandie Apple (I just like typing that, since I can't eat it)

I hope you can get some help from this. I'll be waiting to hear how your tests turn out.
  • Welcome Kandie Apple !!

Those pancakes do sound good, will have to give them a try.

Here are two recipes I've picked up along the way. I have not tried either yet.

1 Minute Muffins
    NEUTRAL
    Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 packet splenda packet
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Breakfast bars

This is a very easy recipe and a NEUTRAL. This is not only for breakfast but for whenever you need something to knibble on.
    Ingredients
    1¼ cup almond flour
    pinch salt
    ¼ tsp. baking soda
    ¼ cup. oil
    ½ cup Splenda
    2 tbsp. coconut/almond milk
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    ¼ tsp. almond extract (optional)
    ½ cup shredded coconut
    ½ cup sunflower seeds
    ¼ cup almond slivers
    ¼ cup sesame seeds
    ¼ dried blueberries (optional)
    Combine flour, salt and baking soda.
    In another bowl combine oil, splenda, milk and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients into wet.
    Mix in all the seeds and berries if using. Wet your hands and press dough evenly into a greased 8x8 baking dish.
    Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
    Let cool and cut into bars.
    Yields 12 - 16 bars.
  • Yesterday morning I had cottage cheese with cinnamon and splenda topped with walnuts. It was actually very good.

This morning for breakfast I am having a turkey burger (no bun) topped with cheese and an easy over egg.

Have a great OP day
  • That sounds good.

where did you get the recipes? I know there are so many low-carb ones out there so it is hard to know which are 5 grams carbs or less which is VERY important for Step 1 so you can rest your pancreas and liver

I don't think there is any fruit allowed on Step 1, I know you found where she said there was though. Wish she would make changes public.
  • Fasting blood reading 93. So I fall into the both normal AND MET B.
    Blood Pressure 110/74
  • I'm dancing a jig today because I found some LOW CARB yogurt today! YUM! After nearly 6 weeks without fruit, it was SO yum! I looked like 10 times at the carb count and it was 4 grams..... AND on Sale!

Yes, I do think there is some arguments about what is considered "normal" with your fasting blood sugars.. according to the American Diabetes Association you are normal, considering what I have read around, some Drs feel that is too high. Mine is 91 last time I had it done, and also 89 another time.

I read an article that I found interesting. I will link it here with a quote that says low carb diets can actually raise fasting blood sugars......hmmmmmm. I actually have a tester, I should test in the am as well.

I usually take these sort of web sites lightly, although they are interesting, some times it is hard to know how accurate some of them are since this isn't a "big name" but more "alternative" in nature kind of medical site.

Quote:
    Fasting blood sugar
    http://chriskresser.com/when-your-%E...-normal-part-2

According to continuous glucose monitoring studies of healthy people, a normal fasting blood sugar is 83 mg/dL or less. Many normal people have fasting blood sugar in the mid-to-high 70s.

While most doctors will tell you that anything under 100 mg/dL is normal, it’s not. In this study, people with FBG levels above 95 had more than 3x the risk of developing future diabetes than people with FBG levels below 90. This study showed progressively increasing risk of heart disease in men with FBG levels above 85 mg/dL, as compared to those with FBG levels of 81 mg/dL or lower.

What’s even more important to understand about FBG is that it’s the least sensitive marker for predicting future diabetes and heart disease. Several studies show that a “normal” FBG level in the mid-90s predicts diabetes diagnosed a decade later.

Far more important than a single fasting blood glucose reading is the number of hours a day our blood sugar spends elevated over the level known to cause complications, which is roughly 140 mg/dl (7.7 mmol/L). I’ll discuss this in more detail in the OGGT section.

One caveat here is that very low-carb diets will produce elevated fasting blood glucose levels. Why? Because low-carb diets induce insulin resistance. Restricting carbohydrates produces a natural drop in insulin levels, which in turn activates hormone sensitive lipase. Fat tissue is then broken down, and non-esterified fatty acids (a.k.a. “free fatty acids” or NEFA) are released into the bloodstream. These NEFA are taken up by the muscles, which use them as fuel. And since the muscle’s needs for fuel has been met, it decreases sensitivity to insulin. You can read more about this at Hyperlipid.

So, if you eat a low-carb diet and have borderline high FBG (i.e. 90-105), it may not be cause for concern. Your post-meal blood sugars and A1c levels are more important.
  • Nelly ~

Both recipes are from the MM website. The muffin was on a breakfast on step 1 dissscussion forum. The breakfast bars were on a step 1 recipe thread on the same website.

I read the limit on eggs was changed as well. From what I read a lot of ppl don't seem to worry about a limitation. Apparently the original was written for diabetics. Personally I have chickens so I have a fresh supply of eggs and plan to use them as desired for a good protein source.
  • I stopped at the grocery last night on the way home. While the store does have a Red Mill section there was NO almond flour/meal to be found. I was very disappointed in that.

I did see they had soy flour/meal and flax meal. I will go back for the flax. I know I have seen recipes using soy flour but if memory serves me correctly it was in combo with something else so I will have to look at it again. I didn't have extensive notes with me, not to mention my phone was ringing non stop which made it hard to concentrate. No yogurt. No tortillas. I ended up buying celery and light cream cheese and left.

This weekend I am going to the next town over, they have a Wal-Mart and I know I can get the tortillas there. If they don't have what I need I will be ordering online most likely.
  • Yes, I use soy flour for the chocolate brownie muffins, it does not take any other flour in that recipe, but it is a 5x5 carb per muffin.

Very nice of you to share recipes from the paid forum! Thank you! I asked because in the book, she says not to use any recipes not in the book for Step 1 due to needing to be sure the carb count was right. I will have to go back and see those you posted, I remember one was neutral. I won't have all the ingredients either. If I ever join, I will be copying as many recipes as I can before my subscription is over.

I have ignored the egg white only and 5 whole eggs a week limit. I did South Beach diet for awhile, and on that one, there are no egg limitations, plus they are a cheap protein and I'm not throwing out anything right now, not even an egg yolk. We are terribly short on money

Tortillas -- I would expect you will find some low carb tortillas at walmart. We have a large Mexican population in our area, so we might have an extra selection, but the kind I get is "OLE Xtreme wellness High Fiber Low carb" They have 5 grams carbs if you subtract carbohydrates minus fiber as we are instructed.

I also bought "LaTortilla Factory Low Carb High Fiber" tortillas. They have 6 grams carbs, but I just cut them into 6 pieces and just not eat one to make it 5 carbs, but I didn't like the taste as well.

Yogurt -- I did not find my low carb yogurt at walmart, but then again, maybe you could. It is called "CARBmaster" but it is a store brand which you won't find at walmart. Hope you can find something!
  • We get Carb Master at our local Smith's or Kroger's
  • Hi guys, have not been here is a while. And am restarting DM on mon. Nice to find a forum for discussion, I started one on low carb friends in the diabetes section. Was here before trying WW, that did not work for me. And Atkins was tough to do long term for sure. This plan is very livable.

The Ole tortillas are not to be used as the label is not correct. You really do need to join the site for a few months to really understand it. And yes fruit although tiny amounts are allowed. Yes the lists are worth buying.The videos are very good for the most part and it is an easy plan to follow.And many things get updated on the forums. She went to a paid site due to mis information being given and this way she can control that.

My DH and I were both just dx'd pre-diabetes, but after a few weeks of testing I think we are both type 2, so back on plan after major fall off.
    We has been using Jay Robbs whey protein for shakes but found Syntrax Nectar are much better and no after taste. I am not big on eggs so breakfast is hard for me trying to find what works for me. Hope we can get an active group going here. Nice to meet you both!