Amazing Roasted Vegetable Combo

• This can go for low cal or for low carb, depending how much oil or black beans you use. This was done for low carb, so I'll just put down exactly what I did.

Ingredients

One small crookneck yellow squash (87 grams)
    One large celery stalk
    5 large baby carrots
    1/4 cup canned (drained/rinsed) black beans
    Olive oil, around two tbsp
    Dash each of pepper and salt

Simply put the oil in a casserole dish, cut up your veggies however you prefer, add the salt and pepper, and mix until veggies are evenly coated. Then add the black beans on top.

I roasted at 450 for about 10-15 minutes.

I'd never thought to try black beans with roasted veggies before, but I needed some extra carbs and decided to see. It was one of the best things I've ever tasted. Slightly salty, slightly sweet; the black beans complemented the veggies *perfectly*.

This came out to 16 grams of carbs. Not good for the stricter part of most peoples' plans, but for later on it isn't bad.
  • I can't resist asking what are " large baby carrots"?
  • hahaha. All I meant was, when you get a bag of baby carrots, some are bigger than others. I used the nice plump thick ones.
  • I think its a shame and mistake to think of all carbs as bad and the general demonising of healthy carbs. Beans are very nutritious and comparatively low calorie. they are not just carbs but high in protein.

The carbs that should be demonised are refined carbs like white bread, cakes, sweets, puddings, and all sorts of bought and processed ones.

Yes you can get fat on wholegrain bread, pasta and rice and beans but you have to eat a lot of them unless you load them up with fatty extras like cream, oil and butter and fatty meats.

So its good to know you liked this dish a lot but i'm struggling to imagine it. I'm not a big fan of cooked celery or roasted carrots but it sounds worth checking out since you liked it so much.