Fun with Veggie Purees!

You're on Page 2 of 15
Go to
  • Liz, you are the BEST! Thank you!
  • these all sound so yummy! Off to my local farmers market to buy veggies up and start to puree!
  • Liz, Thank you very much for posting these!
    You are amazing!
  • Liz, because of you I've become HOOKED on the veggie puree, I've been making the broccoli one and the roasted pepper/pablano one and the cauliflower, can't get enough of them. They are all delish! I was sooooo getting tired of salads. Thank you so much!
  • I will definitely be making these purees, thanks so much for sharing!!!
  • wow thank you very informative
  • Roasted Celeriac, Celery, & Garlic Puree
    Celeriac
    4 ribs Celery
    4-6 cloves Garlic
    1c Chicken Broth
    EVOO
    Seasonings - sea salt, pepper, chives, thyme, etc
    Lemon - juice & zest

Preheat oven to 350°F.
    1. Peel off outer skin of celeriac and dice into ~1" cubes, chop celery in ~2" pieces, keep garlic cloves in the shell
    2. Scatter veggies on cookie sheet, spray with EVOO, sprinkle with seasonings
    3. Bake ~30-40 minutes and add to blender
    4. Blend them up as a puree adding Chicken Broth, lemon juice & zest, and seasonings to taste.

*The celeriac alone has a 'celery' flavor (no surprise as it is Celery Root) that is stronger than the celery alone
    *Usually I serve this as a side dish to my dinner protein.
  • Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
    Broccoli Crowns
    Chicken Breasts
    Roasted Mushroom, Celery, & Garlic Puree
    EVOO
    Seasonings

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    1. Prepare chicken until tender using the usual seasonings (sage, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, onion, celery, etc), boil, bake, grill, however you choose to prepare chicken. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
    2. Spray casserole dish with EVOO
    3. Chop broccoli into bite-size florets and lay on the bottom of casserole dish.
    4. Pour Puree over the broccoli; add the chicken.
    5. Pour more Puree over the chicken
    6. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.
    Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.

*You don't have to just eat puree's straight from the bowl or in a soup - you can use them in casseroles too! They add a rich 'creamy' sauce, and I personally don't even miss the flour, fat, and butter.
  • WOW Liz!! Thank you so much for taking your time to do this for us. I will definitely be trying a few of these in the near future.
  • Quote: Thanks LisaRR! I'm copying and pasting all of them into my Ideal Protein Recipe file. And I'll be testing a few pretty soon - just as soon as I get the fixin's. I need to buy more veggies!!!! I've never gone through so many veggies in my life before.......

P.S. I now find it rather humorous at the supermarket - my cart is full of vegetables and fresh protein items mostly. Several times I've had somebody (who's unloading a cart full of processed food items with minimum fresh fruits, etc.) comment on 'how healthy' my shopping is ! LOL.
    I too go through huge amounts of vegetables.

Liz, these are wonderful and I think veg purees are absolutely one of the best things I've learned about cooking while on IP that I will definitely carry forward into maintenance. What a great way to create fast healthy soups and sauces (and casseroles, etc.)!
  • Mashed Sweet 'Fauxtatoes'
    1 Rutabaga
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon
    2 tbsp WF Pancake Syrup (to taste)
    Optional: 1/2 cup Almond Milk <--adds 15 calories-1g fat/.5g carb/.5g protein

1. Wrap rutabaga in foil and bake in the oven ~1.5-2 hours at 375 degrees
    2. Let Rutabaga cool slightly and peel easily.
    3. Add Rutabaga, WF Pancake Syrup and Cinnamon in a blender and puree until smooth, add water or optional Almond Milk to make desired consistency.

*Rutabaga has that natural sweet potato taste to it that would be enhanced by some maple goodness!
    *You can add this purée to your pancake (or waffle) batter for sweet potato pancakes
  • Quote: 1. Peel & chop rutabaga into ~1" cubes using a large, sharpened axe (j/k - but seriously, these babies are a chore to chop - but oh so worth it!)
    that cracked me up!!!! so true!!! time to get the axe out!! woot woot
  • Quote: that cracked me up!!!! so true!!! time to get the axe out!! woot woot
    It's TRUE! Those babies can be THICK!!!
  • Rhubarb Jam
    1 bag frozen Rhubarb ~4c chopped (or fresh when in season)
    2 tbsp WF Strawberry Spread
    1 envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin
    1 cup Water

1. Place frozen Rhubarb in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
    2. Stir with fork, add 2 tbsp WF Strawberry Spread, Knox Gelatin, 1 cup water.
    3. Microwave an additional 2 minutes, mash with fork/blend with immersion/puree in blender/etc until desired consistency. Add additional WF Strawberry Spread if desired.
    4. Let set in the fridge.

*I always have a bowl of this in the fridge for 'sweet tooth emergencies' - it is a PERFECT fruit fix!
    *The gelatin gives it a 'jelly' texture and a collagen boost as well - great for the skin!
    *One envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin adds ~24 calories from 6g protein
    *This can be added to puddings, smoothies, IP ice cream, Crispy Cereal Pancakes, Waffles - anywhere where a fruit addition would be appropriate
  • Quote: 1 bag frozen Rhubarb ~4c chopped (or fresh when in season)
    2-4 tbsp WF Strawberry Spread
    1 envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin
    1 cup Water

1. Place frozen Rhubarb in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 minutes.
    2. Stir with fork, add 2 tbsp WF Strawberry Spread, Knox Gelatin, 1 cup water.
    3. Microwave an additional 2 minutes, mash with fork/blend with immersion/puree in blender/etc until desired consistency. Add additional WF Strawberry Spread if desired.
    4. Let set in the fridge.

*I always have a bowl of this in the fridge for 'sweet tooth emergencies' - it is a PERFECT
    *The gelatin gives it a 'jelly' texture and a collagen boost as well - great for the skin!
    *One envelope Knox Unflavored Gelatin adds ~24 calories from 6g protein
    *This can be added to puddings, smoothies, IP ice cream, Crispy Cereal Pancakes, Waffles - anywhere where a fruit addition would be appropriate
    i made a rhubarb puree today and put some on my crispy cereal pancake for lunch. I had some left and was just going to eat it but instead I added some crushed ice and water and blended it in my magic bullet for a yummy slush!