Omega 3 Fatty Acids

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: Since this got bumped, I'd like to share what I've learned.
    We need to be very careful about fish oil. If fish oil is rancid (and most sold commercially is) it can hurt more than it helps. Free radical damage, heart disease, etc. Many even have heavy metals! This is very serious. Research if you don't believe me. The easiest way to tell if your fish oil is rancid is to smell the open bottle. Is it fishy smelling? It's rancid. It is just like buying fresh fish. It shouldn't smell fishy.

I researched a couple years ago and found the organization that conducts testing. I will only buy from companies that have their oil tested for purity. There are several. The one I chose offered the best prices, if ordered in bulk. They sell medical-grade Omega 3 fish oil.

Also, 3-6-9 supplements are unnecessary for most people. We only need 6 as most of us have an abundance of Omega 3 & 9, which can cause inflammation if not properly balanced with 6. 3 & 9 are found in vegetable oils. The best sources for 6 are Fish Oil, Wild-Caught fatty fish (like salmon) and grass fed/grass finished meats and eggs.

I learned most of what I know about these supplements from careful internet research (must be careful what you read & don't believe everything) and also from a book recommended by my chiropractor called "Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill".
    Quote: A few years back I saw a GI doc who was pushing low glycemic index foods and anti-inflammatory diet before most people had heard of it. He sold a prescription grade version of Nordic Naturals Omega 3s from his office and they were great...never had fishy belching or aftertaste, and they helped my blood pressure. But I'm always a little skeptical about supplements sold out of a doc's office and whether they are that much better. So you might want to do some research of your own. But the Nordic Naturals brand itself is easy to find. And they make sure the oil is purified and things like mercury and other heavy metals are removed before making them.
    Nordic Naturals is one of the top brands out there, and the brand I have been using for several years now. You really do have to buy a high quality fish oil otherwise you really do run the chance of it being rancid. I buy Nordic Natural's Ultimate Omega. It is expensive, but fish oil is one of those supplements you have to spend money on to get the good stuff. Most health food stores and natural markets carry it. I buy mine on Amazon for a little less money. Personally I wouldn't waste my money on the brands you buy at Walmart or Target as they just aren't very good.

Fish oil is good for everyone. My whole family takes it, even the dogs. It keeps their fur soft, and helps the older dog with her arthritis. It's great for your skin, hair, heart, brain, joints, the list goes on and on. I have arthritis in my left hand, and if I don't take fish oil for a couple of days my hand really starts to ache. My daughter takes it so her skin doesn't break out. If she stops for a few days, then the break outs start again.
  • I'll have to compare the cost of the one I buy to Nordic. I think mine was less expensive but I have to buy in bulk to get that rate.
  • Also, Omega 3 oils are very important for helping people with ADHD. I went to a seminar on it for my kids and there is research that these oils are beneficial for ADD/ADHD -- not so much the 6 and 9 but just the 3. I also remember someone saying on Dr. Oz that he said if he was stranded on a deserted island and could only take one vitamin with him, what would it be? Omega 3. If it's good for my kids, and good enough for Dr. Oz, guess I'm in!
    Some people don't like the 'aftertaste' and you can get coated ones that help with that. However, someone told me to put them in the fridge and so far, I haven't noticed a fishy taste from them.
  • Quote: Nordic Naturals is one of the top brands out there, and the brand I have been using for several years now. You really do have to buy a high quality fish oil otherwise you really do run the chance of it being rancid. I buy Nordic Natural's Ultimate Omega. It is expensive, but fish oil is one of those supplements you have to spend money on to get the good stuff. Most health food stores and natural markets carry it. I buy mine on Amazon for a little less money. Personally I wouldn't waste my money on the brands you buy at Walmart or Target as they just aren't very good.

Fish oil is good for everyone. My whole family takes it, even the dogs. It keeps their fur soft, and helps the older dog with her arthritis. It's great for your skin, hair, heart, brain, joints, the list goes on and on. I have arthritis in my left hand, and if I don't take fish oil for a couple of days my hand really starts to ache. My daughter takes it so her skin doesn't break out. If she stops for a few days, then the break outs start again.
    I was using the Nordic Naturals Omega 3 but stopped them when I started IP..because they contained 500 mg of sugar, and because of the fat. Which Omega caps are you using from Nordic Naturals? Have you found your wt loss slower because of the extra fat you're ingesting or any problems losing belly fat?
  • Quote: I was using the Nordic Naturals Omega 3 but stopped them when I started IP..because they contained 500 mg of sugar, and because of the fat. Which Omega caps are you using from Nordic Naturals? Have you found your wt loss slower because of the extra fat you're ingesting or any problems losing belly fat?
    I never thought to check for sugar but I totally feel ok about taking them with the fat as it is on the IP protocol. The "enzymes" one, apparently, is to help people who have trouble digesting food or something, so my coach said I didn't need that one, but I don't think taking the Omega 3 would be recommended if it didn't fit into their "science" of the diet
  • Quote: I'll have to compare the cost of the one I buy to Nordic. I think mine was less expensive but I have to buy in bulk to get that rate.
    Lisa - care to share what brand you buy? I'm pricing out the good pharmaceutical grade fish oils. I stopped taking the ones I used to take (I got them at Costco) back when I read this post originally and started doing research, but then I never got around to buying more (until now). Thanks.
  • Quote: Also, Omega 3 oils are very important for helping people with ADHD. I went to a seminar on it for my kids and there is research that these oils are beneficial for ADD/ADHD -- not so much the 6 and 9 but just the 3. I also remember someone saying on Dr. Oz that he said if he was stranded on a deserted island and could only take one vitamin with him, what would it be? Omega 3. If it's good for my kids, and good enough for Dr. Oz, guess I'm in!
    Some people don't like the 'aftertaste' and you can get coated ones that help with that. However, someone told me to put them in the fridge and so far, I haven't noticed a fishy taste from them.
    I just went to a seminar about children and they said the same thing. The brain NEEDS the fatty oils. So you only have to take them as long as you are planning to use your brain. And yes, to avoid the fishy burps she said to pop them in the freezer for a little while so that they get further into your system before they thaw out.
  • Is this the same thing as Omega Red pills?
  • Quote: Lisa - care to share what brand you buy? I'm pricing out the good pharmaceutical grade fish oils. I stopped taking the ones I used to take (I got them at Costco) back when I read this post originally and started doing research, but then I never got around to buying more (until now). Thanks.
    We use Omapure
    After my research, it was the most cost-effective for pharmaceutical-grade fish oil
  • wow, very interesting. I think I'll look into getting me a bottle. Thanks for the info.......
  • Quote: We use Omapure
    After my research, it was the most cost-effective for pharmaceutical-grade fish oil
    Thanks!
  • I thank you all for posting. I was using an inferior product after my clinic ran out of the good stuff. I have now found a site where I can order Nordic naturals omega 3 in Canada. Thanks again.
  • Dr. Oz highly recommends Advocare's Omega, which is what I take and my neighbor sells Advocare which makes it also convenient for me.