How to eat turnip???!!!!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • RE: the Turnip "potato" salad I made tonight...don't know if I overcooked the turnips or if it was just a bad idea, but the turnips were mushy.
  • Quote: RE: the Turnip "potato" salad I made tonight...don't know if I overcooked the turnips or if it was just a bad idea, but the turnips were mushy.
    this happened to me too...the first time i tried . i read that turnips have more moisture in them than potatoes and need to be "air dried" a bit before mixing...and i found that idea to be very effective. here is the recipe below that i use. hope that helps

"Turn-tato" salad

6 to 8 small turnips, peeled and cubed
    6 to 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped (but i only use 1 egg yolk just to add a wee bit of yellow specks)
    1/2 cup green, red, or orange sweet bell pepper, diced (i do all three colors)
    1 stalk celery, finely diced
    2 shallots finely diced
    WF Mayo or homemade mayo--large dollop and add more to desired consistency, see below
    1 tablespoon sugar-free sweet pickles and juice
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Dash Paprika

Boil the cubed turnips in salted water as you would potatoes, until tender but not real soft.

Drain, dump into cold ice water to stop cooking and prevent them from getting mushy, they drain again immediately and cool about 10 mins. Let the turnips dry out a little. I put mine on a paper towel to dry for a few minutes. Turnips are slightly 'wetter' than potatoes, that's why you should do this.

In the meantime, chop up the egg whites and 1 egg yolk, colored peppers, shallots and celery--or any other vegetable you like in your "potato" salad-- and set aside.

When the turnips are a little dry, put in large bowl. Add the chopped veggies, sweet pickles and eggs, and homemade or WF Mayo. Use a good-size spoonful and if the salad is too dry, add a little more but not too much because the turnips are moister than potatoes. Gently fold over mixture, don't stir too hard.
    Salt and pepper to taste, mixing well if you add this after it's mixed.

Chill for a bit before serving!!
  • You are all very creative. I have tried rutabagas...now I will try turnips.
    Thanks!