Maintainers Losing It by Labor Day

You're on Page 1 of 33
Go to
  • Because someone had to start the new thread ... or we were gonna run on three more pages discussing what to call it.

This is where maintainers are going to continue to talk about their efforts at beating back those last five to 10 pounds ... and we're all going to do it before the white shoes and the sandals have to go back into their boxes and be pushed to the innermost depths of our bedroom closets.

Me, I want to get rid of about six pounds or so.
  • Thanks for starting it, saef, and thanks to Bill for announcing it!

I can't define a number for what I still want to lose - but let's start with 5 and see where it ends up. If I can be consistently south of 150 by Labor Day, I will be pleased with my progress.
  • I'm in for 5 pounds or so.
  • Me too.

How many weeks is that ?
  • Consistently south of 150. That sounds good to me!!!

Thanks, Bill & saef!
  • Thanks saef and Bill. I want to be at/under 131 by August 25 - the start of my holiday to BC. No idea what I weigh right now as there's no scale here but I will post that on Tuesday morning when I am at home again.

This is from "O" online - kinda cute and kinda fits with what we are all trying to do.

So let’s just say maybe this has happened: The jar of Nutella was emptied, circa 3 a.m. No attempt was made to honor its role as a spread; no, this crime of calorie consumption was committed with a spoon. A big spoon. And this was after a virtuous day of green juices, flax seeds and the spin class with the psychopath teacher. Might as well just spend the next week camped out inside a birthday cake, right? Well, no, actually. The nocturnal diet setback is only a catastrophe if you let it be. Start fresh the next day—now that Nutella isn’t there to tempt you.

TGIF!!!

Dagmar
  • '...The jar of Nutella was emptied, circa 3 a.m. No attempt was made to honor its role as a spread; no, this crime of calorie consumption was committed with a spoon. A big spoon. And this was after a virtuous day of green juices, flax seeds and the spin class with the psychopath teacher. Might as well just spend the next week camped out inside a birthday cake, right? Well, no, actually. The nocturnal diet setback is only a catastrophe if you let it be. Start fresh the next day—now that Nutella isn’t there to tempt you...'

Luv it ! - Well, the quote, I've never tried Nutella
  • I've never tried Nutella but I suspect Peanut Butter could and would cause the same setback.
  • Agreed bargoo, peanut butter starts me down that slippery slope...I don't keep it in the house
  • I can have peanut butter, but that wasn't always the case. Right now I'm eating a bowl of cold raw vegetables. Too hot for anything else. I'm super cranky for some reason and trying not to comfort myself with food.
  • In preparation for another trip downstate, hauling down some stuff for my apartment, I've been sweeping my mother's kitchen cupboards and basement pantry, gathering up my own personal foodstuffs, which I know I ought to get out of the house to give her back her space. These are things that I know she won't eat, but that I've developed a taste for during the past few years of my health and weight-loss journey. An inventory is enlightening:

- Wild rice
    - Quinoa
    - Tahini
    - Unsalted, no sugar peanut butter
    - Sugarfree pudding mix
    - Shelf-stable Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk
    - Plain rolled oats

And stuff that isn't necessarily self-consciously healthy, but for which my mother has no taste, and I do:

- Pitted kalamata olives
    - Sardines
    - Whole-wheat Israeli couscous
    - Artichoke tapenade
    - Dark Italian roast coffee
    - Roasted red pepper strips

Nothing has brought home more to me what a lifestyle change I've made than moving back in with my mother for this very extended stay, and witnessing how she continues to eat the way that I used to. No, there's no judgment here. That was me, once.

I have the knowledge, and I have the tools. More than anything, this has been a long educational process. But the more important thing is, that the tangible food is actually there, now sitting boxed up. That's evidence that I have consistently acted upon my knowledge. Having the knowledge without taking action is no better than being completely ignorant. The scale doesn't care about knowledge, whether you know better, or whether you have good intentions. The scale just records what you've done with your days.
  • Good morning all

'...Having the knowledge without taking action is no better than being completely ignorant. The scale doesn't care about knowledge, whether you know better, or whether you have good intentions. The scale just records what you've done with your days...' well said Saef !

I've been having a scale 'thing' lately. An all-time 'low' has been teasing me periodically, like a buoy bobbing in a sea of weight recordings. Now, that low is not 'it'...I have a ways to go yet, but for me it's both a carrot and stick. Carrot because, well, it's a new 'low', stick when I think '...so what, it's still too much weight - how did I get to the point where I think this is thin? .... big deal....'

Oh well, on with my day.
    Have a great weekend everybody.
  • My scale has not moved in the last ten days. Not what I want to see.
  • It's kinda freeing (is that a word?) not having a scale in the house. But I know I have to have one to stay accountable, particularly in summer. All my shorts are of the quite baggy cotton kind and I can easily gain 5-10 lbs. and still pass the "pants-o-meter" test.

So I will climb on my home scale Tuesday morning and try to not pass out at the number . DH will also record a new high I suspect - 2 weeks of "sinning" while I was away will do that.

I did not chastise this morning - he looked just like he must feel

Dagmar
  • We spent 2.5 hours at the bunny shelter, and found a really cute pair! They're both less than a year and a half old, one's a fuzzy white albino (Alcide), and the other is a sleek black mini-lop (Jamie). They'll be bonding this week. Homecoming next Saturday - I need a little time to make sure all the details are in place.

In other news, I successfully completed my first week on plan, and am down by the predicted .5 lb.

Dagmar, you won't pass out ... maybe a little profanity, and then you'll deal with it. The blips keep us from taking things for granted!

Bargoo, at least it's not moving in the wrong direction!

Exhale, I hear ya! I think that's part of why I'm unable to pick a goal number. I've more or less decided not to have one, because it defines an "end" and that feels weird.

Saef, that final paragraph is outstanding! I wish I could tattoo it backwards on my forehead. If you get to Michigan, I'll make you lunch - I have all of your ingredients except the couscous in my pantry!

Krampus, go ahead and crab out - just roll in it and experience it. Crunching on veggies sounds like a good choice, kinda destructive and noisy.