has anyone over 60 loss 100+?

• OK I admit I want some if she can do it so can I feeling here. I need to loose 140pds and I'm 61. Can it be done? do you know anyone that has done it. Hey maybe even over 55. I'm scared I just waited too long to come back.
  • I started losing just before my 60th birthday last January. I was going to try for 100 pounds but stopped at 90 because I thought I was starting to look too thin in the face - like I'd been sick. That seems to have settled into place and my face has filled back in a bit while I maintained the 90 pound loss. It took me 38 weeks to lose the 90 pounds.

I did some research. Out metabolisms DO change a bit with age, but for women, it's only about 5 calories less per day per year (in a perfect world, based on BMR.) That means that at 60 we need to eats a little less than we did at 30 to maintain a given weight - but only about 150 calories less per day at 60 than at 30 (30 years x 5 calories.) This it totally doable.

I can't speak for everyone, but there are lots of things in our favor. At least there were for me.
    **I don't care what other people think the way I did at 30. If my body is better than it was, but still not perfect - well, that's OK.
    **Making these changes "forever" isn't as long as it is for someone 30 years younger! LOL
    **I think we're less prone to the social distractions we had when we were younger - I no longer go out 3 nights a week with my friends.
    **We weren't raised on a steady diet of fast food and endless soda, chips, and sweets in the house. I think our "past reality" is different and that makes it easier.

I think someone our age, who probably grew up in a home where mom was home and cooked healthy meals most days, has a different perspective on all of this. I'm not trying to play into a stereotype, but I think I'm right. My whole adult life I prepared and ate healthy meals just like when I was growing up and mom was doing the cooking. If you saw me eat meals, you would have wondered why I was fat. But I also ate a ton of junk food. Not so much fast food - but snack crackers, chips, nuts, candy, etc. all the time. I kept boxes of crackers and other stuff at my desk and could go through a box of Cheezits in an afternoon. That sort of thing. But I knew what I should eat and what I shouldn't because I grew up in a time that didn't have a McD or BK on every corner. When I cut out the stuff we really shouldn't eat, I lost weight. Steadily and consistently.

Now - all that said - it's never too late to make changes. Even if you don't lose 140, make a change for the better. Whatever you lose - it's weight that is GONE. That's a good thing. Just 10% can make a huge difference in heart medication, diabetes, medication, etc. You didn't say if you have medical problems - but if you do, a small change will bring improvement. If you don't (I had no issues except the occasional creaky joint) think how much better things will be in the long run.

You're going to find lots of support in here. Welcome to the forum. Good luck.

Lin - over 60 and proud of it!
  • I'm 54 and have lost 85 pounds in the past year. Like lin said, it's never too late and any loss is a good loss. So don't be scared, just get started!
  • I am pretty much in the same boat with you. I am very concerned that I might have "waited too long to come back".

We can do it, but I think it is going to take a very serious commitment to some life style changes and I think it is going to take much longer than it would have if we had done it earlier. It is hard, but not impossible to teach an old dog new tricks...I don't have any old dogs, but I have a couple of old cats and they seem to be able to lean new things - no tricks, but useful things. You know how cats are.

The amount of weight you have to loose probably seems overwhelming. Even though I don't have quite as much, it is plenty, and not doable in a couple of months of serious dieting. Right now, I am thinking about the first twenty pounds, because if I go beyond that, I get discouraged.
  • linJber - 38 weeks!!! that is incredible. I agree with you 100% about our "past reality". I am exactly the same in that respect - I have cooked decent meals my entire adult life. It's the Rice Krispy treats, the nuts and candy from Costco, eating in the car etc etc. My family NEVER ate in the car. It's not that it was forbidden, we just didn't do it. We didn't even drink water in the car, to say nothing of a supersized soda or drink from Starbucks. We stopped and had a picnic by the side of the road. I'm so old I grew up before McDonalds was invented. LOL.

And Steph - 85 lbs. Amazing

Your posts were inspiring! Thank you.

This is broken up because I started my response before the rest of you had posted.
  • I'm 60. Not concerned that I waited too long, but I sure wish I'd done something sooner. I'm not near as active as I was 30 years ago when I was chasing after little ones, but now I have a lot more time to myself to exercise and can cook to suit myself (because my husband eats whatever I fix). No excuses left ...
  • Good luck to all of over a certain age. I can seriously say it was easier to lose weight this time than it was when I last tried. That was over 25 years ago and I didn't get as low as I am now and it didn't last.

My real regret is that I stayed fat for so long. I don't think I look bad, but I have a size 10 body trapped in a size 14 skin. As optimistic as I try to be, I don't think that will change. I see many people my age that have never been heavy who look the same, so that also makes things easier at this age. I'm very happy with my less than perfect results. At 30, I might have wanted better than what I've ended up with. I am comfortable in clothes. Even shorts and tee shirts. Naked is a different story, but that isn't the same issue it would have been 30 years ago.

It is my firm belief that it is easier at this age if you get your mental game in line. Just do it. Good luck to all of us who are losing and maintaining.

Lin
  • I can't believe it happened again! I just spent an hr reading and responding at length to your replies. ARGGG! So Quickly I want to thank everyone for your great advice, esp. LIn. I feel hope maybe I can do this. I esp. loved thinking of all the advantages of doing this at my age.
  • Thanks, Ginger - You CAN do this. I'm stealing this quote - not sure who said it. Henry Ford, maybe.

"Whether you think you can or think you can't , you're right."

Keep a attitude positive and the outcome will be positive.

Lin