Increase in Hangovers?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • 15-20 drinks is insane. A minimum of 2000 extra calories. No wonder binge drinkers tend to have to "pick one" (eating or drinking), haha!
  • Quote: 15-20 drinks is insane. A minimum of 2000 extra calories. No wonder binge drinkers tend to have to "pick one" (eating or drinking), haha!

Pick one? Pfftt... I didn't gain 60 pounds in 3 months by being a "pick one" kinda girl Krampus! I usually was eating that entire time.
  • Wow, I had a third of a bottle of sake with my husband once, at home, and was so tipsy I decided to never do that again. The sake was so smooth, but feeling the effects of alcohol grossed me out. It was too much like the prescriptions my parents put me on as a teen - feeling altered and not in control makes me freak out

You've come quite a ways from 15-20 drinks, Jocelyn. As always, bravo!
  • I'm glad to report that I had 3 drinks yesterday and no hangover whatsoever. I did drink more water beforehand and had a snack... but that's it. Last time I kept guzzling water, but just kept getting worse. Maybe it was a fluke. Still, since I'm a lightweight now I think I'll just keep my intake at 3 or less (for the most part. lol) My drinking days are not over!
  • Quote: Wow, I had a third of a bottle of sake with my husband once, at home, and was so tipsy I decided to never do that again. The sake was so smooth, but feeling the effects of alcohol grossed me out. It was too much like the prescriptions my parents put me on as a teen - feeling altered and not in control makes me freak out
    Gosh, this hit me hard... I can totally totally relate.

I think that's why I'm so strict with my diet now. I HATE feeling altered in any way. It seems like the cleaner I eat, the smaller I get; the more noticeable an altered state is. One glass of wine is my limit, now. Any more than that and I feel out of control. I don't like that feeling at all.
  • Boring young moms unite, Val!
  • Astrild, with the all-day vomiting, it might be worth considering that you lucked into a bit of food poisoning with something you ate (check with the other folks that were there with you). The majority of "24 hour flu" is actually a case of food poisoning.
  • have you recently started any new meds? I just recently switched BCPs and got violently ill after a few drinks and when I read up on it, it said it had the potential to increase the alcohol concentration in your blood stream... Lesson learned!
  • Quote: Pick one? Pfftt... I didn't gain 60 pounds in 3 months by being a "pick one" kinda girl Krampus! I usually was eating that entire time.
    HAHAHA ok ok I guess I am thinking about the binge drinkers I know who are not carrying extra weight, who routinely "forget to eat" and drink a lot instead.
  • My husband had a coworker who referred to his beer as 'porkchop in a can' and I'm pretty sure he meant it. Substituting alcohol for any particular meal was just fine by his standards!
  • ICUwishing~ I kind of thought that too, but I had a really mean headache to go with it... I think I was just not handling it well for some reason. I've felt ill like that in the past...I think my body just still wanted to get rid of the alcohol.

4star~ I don't take any prescription meds... but a lot of otc stuff. I drank a lot of Kava root a couple days prior...maybe that made it worse. It's also taxing on the liver, so there's another good reason to space them out. I'm starting to back off all that stuff when I know I'll be drinking, just to be safe.

Thanks guys.
  • Yeah, I noticed this right when I started eating better, even before losing more than just 5 lbs. I think that it was because my belly had more veggies than carbs, so I felt the impact of the alcohol more.

I also go drunker faster because of that. I really think that it has less to do with weight than with what you've eaten that day, the day before, etc. I notice how that some days, I can have one or two and be fine, while other days I have just a few sips and I'm ready to dance on the tables. And this is with no weight fluctuations.

Although I do know now I can't drink as much as I could in the past (which I'm sure is a combination of weight loss, and just not drinking as much as regularly as I used to, and not being 22 anymore!).
  • I think two factors might play into this
    A) obviously you're smaller so you don't need as much to feel bad
    And
    B) if you are ingesting less sodium then BINGO!
    of you ate more sodium before obviously you retained more water do you got less dehydrated since your body had more water in it so now if you don't have much water weight obviously you get dehydrated quicker wich means=worse hangovers.

Just my two cents I try now to drink 1-2 cups of water at least an hour before I start drinking and my hangovers are actually non existant
  • Quote:
    4star~ I don't take any prescription meds... but a lot of otc stuff. I drank a lot of Kava root a couple days prior...maybe that made it worse. It's also taxing on the liver, so there's another good reason to space them out. I'm starting to back off all that stuff when I know I'll be drinking, just to be safe.

Thanks guys.
    Could be. A quick search says yes.

http://www.nakamalathome.com/kava-ka...kava-kava.html
  • Quote: Astrid, I also haven't experienced hangover in a long time. On the fourth of July, I had two beers in a 9 hour time frame. Maybe 3.

The next day I was hungover! I was nauseous, headache and just didn't feel well at at all. That's just not possible after 3 beers in 9 hours, is it?

So what else was different about the 4th? Sugar. Lots of carbs in the way of chips, candies, fry bread and cookies. Then there was the fact that I drank less than half the water I usually drink in a day, and we were out doors the entire time. It was cold, but muggy.

I think what it was for me was sugar hangover and dehydration. Makes sense to me!

I think your smaller size, maybe not eating as much as you used to, and not drinking enough water are probably all factors to your hangover.
    Yes - this. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the sugars in the alcohol and the diuretic properties inherent with booze combine to make the hangovers *so much fun*!!! Often it is the dehydration that really kicks your butt - combine that with your body trying it darndest to get rid of the stuff in your system (bowing to the porcelain god), and you awaken the next morning *not really* feeling your best.