July Atkins Chat Thread

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • Happy July all! Hope everyone is doing good and had a great holiday. If ell off the wagon a. Bit but guess what, it made me feel like poo and I've jumped back on with gusto today. Went shopping and stocked up on all my staples. I'm ready for a whole week of on plan meals, which is important because I'm on vacation and not having a plan and a routine is where I fell off the wain over the weekend (that and the new guy I'm seeing is a freaking food and beer pusher...sheeeesh!).

So, let's hear how everyone did over the holiday with all those vats of potato salad calling their names???
  • Good job getting back to plan! I did fine, I worked most of the day so it wasn't an issue for me.
  • Hi Ghost!, (and everyone else) you are more than welcome to join the Labor Day Challenge thread. Lots of chatting in there. Since we are a relatively small group we use that as the daily chat also. Keeps things easy peasy, no need to look at a bunch of threads.

I'm going on vacation for two weeks, but when I return I will have plenty of time for chatting. talk to you then.
  • Sorry, I didn't join the challenge, didn't realize a July chat thread would be such a problem.
  • I didn't join it either and am more interested in a more generic chat thread. Let's keep this one going.
  • Hi Ladies Today is day1 of me for Atkins.
    I have 4 children, my oldest being 7 my youngest being 2 months. I did Atkins years ago and had great success, but had a 10 year slide and am now teetering around 300 pounds.
    This is a lifestyle change for me, and after giving birth and all the other challenges in life I have faced- totally know I can do this.

Today for Breakfast I am having an omelette. Going to go make it before the babe cries. I plan on being a daily poster Having a place to 'go' online helped me to quit smoking, so I figure same can be said for here!
  • I agree, keep the monthly chat going...I'm new and haven't joined a challenge so being able to jump on a chat thread is better...to me...JMHO.

So, other newbies! Yay! I'm not alone. I too have low carbed before, most recently Dukan style last summer around this time. Then I got knocked up. Now I'm back at it trying to lose the baby bump leftovers. I gained 22 lbs being pregnant and gave birth, weighed, and I had only lost...3 lbs. So, 19 lbs up from my last high weight...I've got alot of work ahead of me. *heavy sigh*

Making pot roast tonight, serving with broccoli and a small side salad with blue cheese dressing (Litehouse brand). Gotta go...someone is screaming (hint, its not me).
  • Mango - I havent even weighed myself since having baby two months ago. I don't even know how much I gained. I am about the same size as before pregnancy, but that isn't even really anything to crow about as the last time I weighed during pregnancy I was 312.

Been on Atkins just over 24 hours and omg, I have been starving. I keep eating but nothing is filling me up.
    I ate:
    Eggs, mushrooms, cheese and spinach 'omelette'
    2 double cheeseburgers sans bun and mayo and ketchup
    2 cups lettuce with some parmesan cheese and 5 grape tomatoes
    6" beef hot dog
    2 snack pack sugar free jello
    3 chicken thighs with skin
    1 palm sized steak
    2 mozzerella sticks
    couple portions of gouda cheese

I have drank about 4 waters and 1 16 ounce diet pepsi.
    Seriously, I feel like a pig and I am STILL hungry.

Is this because I am nursing?
  • Good lord,
    add 6 sugar snap peas and 1 more mozzarella stick on.

Drinking another 16 oz. of water...With all the cookies, cereals, and breads around (and blueberries and strawberries. sooo tempted to eat one today) I guess I should be happy with myself.
  • It might be from breast feeding? I was ravenous for about the first two weeks I was breast feeding my son (10 years ago). Maybe adjust your macronutrient intake to include more fat? Hopefully after you go through Atkins flu (if you do) your appetite will self regulate better. Your brain is probably fighting you for carbs right now. When you become fat adapted its almost like a natural appitite suppressant. Good luck newbies! I'm 10 weeks in and still eating just above induction level carbs. I have stalls and whooshes so don't get discouraged if the scale stops moving in the next two weeks, your body is saving up for a whoosh.
  • Kamiro...are you eating at set intervals or grazing throughout the day? I had to schedule my meals to every 2 hours. When I did that I found I was less hungry and I would get hungry at meal time. I used to be a grazer and found when I did that I would never be full. Even after my gastric bypass, if I graze all day I'll never have a full pouch.

And yes, nursing will make you hungrier because you are burning more calories while nursing [think it's 500 calories per day more - that's what I remember reading].
  • Quote: Good lord,
    add 6 sugar snap peas and 1 more mozzarella stick on.

Drinking another 16 oz. of water...With all the cookies, cereals, and breads around (and blueberries and strawberries. sooo tempted to eat one today) I guess I should be happy with myself.
    I would check with your doctor to make sure that Atkins is ok while breastfeeding... Everything you eat is in your milk and you may need some different nutrients since your body is sucking yours into the breast milk. I breastfed my son and made sure I was eating a very well balanced meal and never really got that hungry so it is worth asking your doc about.
  • Thanks ladies.
    I was grazing mostly - today I have been eating meals much closer together and more filling.
    Breakfast I tried mock pancakes (eh - dont think I did them right) , 3 turkey sausage links and 2 eggs.
    Lunch I ate a whole head of romaine lettuce hearts salad with turkey and eggs and about 4 sugar snap peas on top with 2 tblsp ranch. Was delicious.
    For snack I have ate a string cheese, another jello sugar free cup.
    For dinner I just ate almost a pound of beef stew meat while I was preparing the kids' dinner (I was famished and mac n cheese and blueberries was calling me!) and a chicken thigh, 5 devilled eggs, and about 2 cups worth of mock mashed potatoes.

I am in trace amount of ketones after 36 hours on diet.
    Drank about 4 bottles of water so far.
    Does this sound like an excessive amount of food for induction?

Tiff in re: breastfeeding, my 3rd baby has a dr check up tomorrow. I will be sure to ask.i think outside of no fruit and a bit excessive on the meat and devilled eggs ---this diet is healthier than how I have been eating ---but I am also not a nutritionist and I have the body to prove it. lol

I did google and it seems that bfing while on atkins there was no clear consensus...

How are you all doing today?
    What did you live on while on induction? I won't eat shellfish or pork products so I was way disappointed to see quite a few yummy mock style recipes that required pork rinds.
  • Hi ladies!
    I appreciate the generic chat thread Thanks for starting it ghost.
    I'm feeling a little frustrated with myself but hope that everyone else is doing good on Atkins!
  • Kamiro: Don't feel bad for feeling like you are overeating, you are feeding another human being with your body. I'm betting you are eating enough to sustain your milk supply. I'm wondering what the science is behind breast milk production, because I know there is a lot of glucose in that, but your body can make glucose from protein, so if you are low carb just make sure you get adequate levels of protein for that conversion. If I'm up all night with a screamer I'll definitely do some one armed googling to research it for us.

I did ask my doc about low carbing while breast feeding last week and she said to just keep my carbs around 50-75 grams and when I stop breastfeeding I can go to induction levels. She is a low carber for life though so you would probably get a different answer from a different provider. She had ovarian cancer and adopted a ketogenic lifestyle while in treatment to starve her cancer cells of the glucose that it thrives on and she is 5 years cancer free now (I had to hear her whole story when I brought it up, but it was very interesting to hear).

Soooo, today...baby girl has been grumpy and screaming all day, if I'm not holding her she is discontent. My son finally had it and went to his Dads house because I was asking him to do everything for me. Granted, I should not rely on him for stuff, but really, when he's standing next to the linen closet and I need a towel...I'm going to ask him to hand me one. Geeze.

Its almost 9:30pm here and she went to sleep about 30 minutes ago and its the only real sleep she's done today. Hopefully she'll be down for the night...or most of it anyways. I'm just checking in here and then I'm crashing! Today I ate leftover pot roast from yesterday, nibbling all day since I only had one hand to work with most of the day so I couldn't really cook anything. I have chicken thawed out so I'm going to have to cook that tomorrow or I might as well throw it away. Also, my sister brought me some bacon that she even pre-cooked for me, and a bag of shrimp, pre-cooked and peeled (and a loaf of fresh home baked bread for my son).

I'm definitely thankful for the supportive people in my life. My ex is great with taking our Son and Baby Girls Dad is out fishing making that money so I'm alone a lot of the time. Thank goodness I'm too busy to notice most of the time, lol!

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow, I'll check in again tomorrow night.