What time is better to weigh yourself?

• I tried weighing myself before bed and first thing in the morning. There was about a lb difference. Does it really even matter as long as you do it at the same time everyday?
  • re:
    There's no best time really. For most people the scale seems to be the lowest in the morning though. Mine's usually about 2lbs heavier at night than in the morning.

Keep in mind that what you see on the scale can fluctuate a LOT depending on how much water weight you currently have, if you just drank a ton of stuff, or if the sky is blue.

If you like to weigh a lot, just get used to those fluctuations and don't freak out over 2 or 3lbs up or down. I weigh myself a few times a day but I only record an actual weight once a week on the same day.
  • I always weigh first thing in the morning right after I've gone to the bathroom. This way, I get an accurate weight of me, not the food I've eaten or water I've retained during the day. Your weight fluctuates all day.

I don't think it matters when you weigh, just that you're consistent.

I like weighing in the morning as well because if I've lost, then I'm excited to lose again the next day. If I've stayed the same or gained, I'm excited to work harder and lose the next day.
  • It really doesn't matter.

I weigh morning and night. Night is always heavier (of course, because of all I've had to eat and drink all day). The morning weight (post bathroom visit and shower, but before any food or drink) is what I record. I record every day because this way I can see the daily and monthly fluctuations, so small gains don't freak me out, and I can see patterns of gains and losses. I weigh at night just out of curiosity.
  • I don't think it matters except that you weight at the same time, consistently. I like mornings, because I'm always about 4 lbs lighter in the mornings, haha! But as long as I weigh every day at the same time, I should be able to accurately keep track of my gains and losses.
  • Thanks y'all that makes a lot of sense. I think I'm going to record my morning weight each day.
  • I weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom, usually in just underwear. I'm as consistent as I can be with the time and clothing requirements, so that makes me reasonably sure that any losses or gain trends I see are accurate
  • I do the same as artic mama. I find the morning is best once I have just got up and been to the loo.
  • As with any tool, how you use it, depends on the task you're using it for, and what you want to learn from it.

I generally weigh myself twice a day. In the am after using the potty, and before bed. The morning weigh-in is because it tends to be my lowest weight of the day (and I like seeing it) and the bedtime so that I can see a loss in the morning (it's not a real loss, but it still gives me a boost to see a 2-3 lb loss in the morning).

It's important (I think) not to consider any weight your "real" weight. It makes it too easy to judge normal fluctations as failure. I don't consider any weight by "real" weight, and I only compare today's weight to my weight two or three months ago. Comparing it day to day is an exercise in insanity.
  • i weigh in the mornings after i use the bathroom!
  • I weigh in the morning... But I TRY to only weigh myself once a week.
  • I actually weigh myself when I get home from work every day. I change out of my dress clothes and while I have nothing on, hop on the scale. Even with breakfast, lunch and drinking a ton of water, I actually weigh less than any other time during the day.
  • In the AM, after potty, before breakfast, naked. Almost every day - always on Wednesday.

Lin
  • My weight is most stable between 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. no matter what I do. I weigh officially once a week on Sunday (first day of the week). I then have Sunday brunch, a tradition I have always followed and my family has always followed. I log that weigh-in as my official data. Occasionally I change the official day but usually bring it back to Sunday. Sometimes I hop on for a quick look on other mornings but I disregard the data. Once a week works best for me.
  • I weigh myself in the morning and right before I go to bed. I usually exercise within the hour before bed to help me get to sleep, so unless I've been reeeally bad all day, it's usually only slightly higher than my morning weigh. I use the morning to assess how much exercise I need to do throughout the day and the night time one to see how successful I was. I use my morning measurements for my ticker.