MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N....Recipes from the Rainbow

You're on Page 7 of 30
Go to
  • Sure wish I liked to cook. Or have someone cook some of this stuff for me.
  • Lavender Maple Oatmeal Scone with Rhubarb Lavender Jam and Clotted Cream"

sooooo i am so excited for the olympics to start....still can't believe i was in england in may of this year while on IP and never once let my lips touch a strawberry scone with clotted cream!!!! oh well, there is always next year!!

since i have been watching all the pre-trials and pre-games for the olympics...and seeing all the scenery from london...i was missing scones....

...so.....you know me...always MiX'N iN THE KiTCH'N!!!

so i came up with this MOST DELICIOUS RECIPE!!!!

Lavender Maple Oatmeal Scone with Rhubarb Lavender Jam & "clotted cream"

ooooh my goodness.....this is one of the best desserts i have had since starting IP!!!!

the sweetest maple aroma has filled the air mingled with the delicate lavender rhubarb scent!!! OOOH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!

i started with frozen rhubarb....2 cups....

added to a small pot to simmer.....but not in plain water!!!

this is my little steel tea ball....i love my little tea ball i got in london!!!

fresh lavender tea.....yum.....

time to make some lavender tea!!!

i added 1/2 cup lavender tea to the rhubarb and simmered until smooth!!!

i love the tangy tart taste of rhubarb...but wanted just a wee bit of sweetness....so....

i added 10 drops of stevia....not too much for me....cause i love having bites of both, sweet and tangy!!! but you can add to your own taste!!

then i got out my maple oatmeal packet...and decided to add some lavender into the mix as well!!!

i added lavender, some fresh rosemary and some baking powder...1/2 tsp.

added into my magic bullet hopper with the flat blade, along with 4 tbsp of water and 2 tbsp of milk.

the batter will be thick!!!

i again used my english muffin ring....and cooked for 3 mins on each side!!

look at that crispy crust!!!!

you can even see bits of the rosemary and lavender!! yum!!
    it smells amazing!!!!

i cut it into 4 tiny scone shaped triangles!!!

ok...i couldn't resist.....had to take a nibble!!!
    OH MY!!!! WHAT MAPLE GOODNESS!!!!!

for the "clotted cream" i mixed 2 tbsp WF marshmallow cream with 1 tbsp milk for a creamy faux version of british clotted cream!!!

WANNA BiTE????

sorry......i ate it ALL!!!

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Oh my heavens!!!!! This is one I'm certainly gonna try!!! You are amazing Rainbow!!! Pure genius!!!
  • Droollll...
  • Thanks for the recipe. Looks yummi!
  • Rainbow, you are totally amazing. I've been drooling over all your recipes at work and writing down all the packets I need to order. Keep the recipes coming!
  • Quote: ....i decided to make one location for my recipes so i can keep up with them

whats on the menu today?? HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE and ROASTED RED PEPPER CRAB CAKES
    using 1/2 of 1 IP Potato Puree Packet

ok so i have been wanting some crab cakes!!! i thought i had read somewhere on the IP treads that someone made crab cakes using the potato puree...but i could not find it....so i asked several people, and they never heard of it, so i decided i must have dreamt it!!! so i thought heck, why not....try to make some anyway!!! how hard can it be right???

first off let me say i have never in my life made homemade mayonnaise!!...that is until....today!! OMG....how easy was that!!! i will never buy store bought mayo again!!!

it was super easy to make using my little magic bullet!! its thick, creamy and best of all, all natural!!! here is the simple recipe!!

Use the flat blade blender of your Magic Bullet. Add in the egg white, the yolk, 1 TBSP oil, the lemon juice, mustard and salt...remember to only add 1 tbsp oil at this time.
      Pulse quickly for 4-5 short pulses...and you will see it start to whiten and come together, then pulse for 10 secs....wait a few seconds and pulse again for 10 secs.....then add your last TBSP oil, and repeat above....pulsing for only 10 seconds at a time, until thick and creamy!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!! you now have mayo!!! if you like sweet mayo like miracle whip you can add some stevia or splenda to taste but i did not.

this made 6 TBSP mayo...which can keep in the fridge in an air tight container for 2 weeks.

UP NEXT....time to prepare the crab cakes!!!
      OH MY... I am totally a newbie and this is the first time I have stopped my this thread and let me tell you it is totally my new fav (next to the daily chat). I LOVE your recipes - love that you can think outside the package and create new creations for us. Keep up the great work.
    • These all look so good and I can't wait to try them! Thanks so much for sharing.
    • How is this thread not in the recipe sticky!?!?! These look INCREDIBLE!!!! I just wish I could cook! lol
    • Crab Cakes
      I finally made the crab cakes last night and they were AH-MAZ-ING! Thanks so much for the recipe!

My only problem was the homemade mayo. It didn't effect the crab cakes at all, but my mayo was runny, not creamy like real mayo. It definately had more of a liquid consistency. I think the recipe said one large egg white so I just used one serving of the egg beater egg whites which was, I believe, three tablespoons. Any idea what could have gone wrong? More or less of the egg whites maybe?
    • Quote: I finally made the crab cakes last night and they were AH-MAZ-ING! Thanks so much for the recipe!

My only problem was the homemade mayo. It didn't effect the crab cakes at all, but my mayo was runny, not creamy like real mayo. It definately had more of a liquid consistency. I think the recipe said one large egg white so I just used one serving of the egg beater egg whites which was, I believe, three tablespoons. Any idea what could have gone wrong? More or less of the egg whites maybe?
      i have made the homemade mayo several times now, and i think mine is not as creamy when i don't use room temp. eggs. however, after putting it in the fridge it because more firm overnight and kept good for more than a week.

it's funny, sometimes my mayo is thick and creamy and sometimes it is more runny. i can't figure it out either!! thats the only thing i can think of, was the 2 times is was less creamy and thick was when i use cold eggs right from the fridge...hope that helps a little

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR LOVELY COMMENTS
    • Quote: i have made the homemade mayo several times now, and i think mine is not as creamy when i don't use room temp. eggs. however, after putting it in the fridge it because more firm overnight and kept good for more than a week.

it's funny, sometimes my mayo is thick and creamy and sometimes it is more runny. i can't figure it out either!! thats the only thing i can think of, was the 2 times is was less creamy and thick was when i use cold eggs right from the fridge...hope that helps a little

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR LOVELY COMMENTS
      Thanks so much! I will have to try using room temperature eggs. It definately did thicken up after 5 or 6 hours in the fridge though. That should tell you how runny it started out! LoL!!
    • wish I could hire you as my personal IP chef!!!! Looks scrumptious!
    • Quote: which dish are you talking about??
      if it is the stacked summer salad, yellow squash ARE allowed, as are zucchini on phase 1, only winter type squash are not allowed, like butternut squash, acorn squash, etc...and the onions are NOT cooked, all the veggies in this recipe are raw and fresh.

hope that helps.
      Wow! Love this post...I was not sure I could eat yellow squash on phase 1 either...thanks for the info!
    • HOT Ginger Lemongrass Tea...or ICE COLD Ginger Ale!!!
      mmmmmm i do love ginger ale...i have not had a pepsi or coke in over 25 years...i know...weird right?!!....but i love my ginger ale....this is a good alternative!!

here was my inspiration:
      http://www.food.com/recipe/house-of-...a-water-458446

here is what i used:
      1 lemon, zested and juiced
      1 knob fresh ginger, peeled, diced, and smashed
      1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
      1 TBSP lemongrass
      5 cups water
      simmered all for 15 mins...then strain...and add stevia to taste!!

i started with these...

peel and finely dice your fresh ginger

then i turned my knife blade flat and smashed....to help release the flavor

zested 1 lemon....and then juiced it too!!

simmered in 5 cups of water for 15 mins

strained my tea....ok so this is NOT a strainer...but hey whatever works right??!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
      fresh hot tea....see the tiny vanilla bean specks!!
      half for hot tea....and half for cold ginger ale!! woot woot

OHHH AND CHECK OUT THE BENEFITS OF GINGER TEA!!!!

http://www.livestrong.com/benefits-of-ginger-tea/