MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N....Recipes from the Rainbow

You're on Page 3 of 30
Go to
  • Thank you so much! Made crab cakes for the 4th and they were delicious! Really felt special.
  • Rosemary English Muffin with Raspberry Jam
    ROSEMARY ENGLISH MUFFINS with RASPBERRY JAM

WOW!!!!!!! this is the closest thing I have had in 9 weeks that resembles REAL BREAD!!!

it was absolutely delicious!!!
    Tastes a lot like a cross between a crumpet, an english muffin and home baked bread!!
    Very soft and moist inside and NO RUBBERY TASTE AT ALL!!!
    Deliciously toasty outside!!
    OOOOO I CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE ANOTHER ONE!!

i am so lovin' IP!!!

I found this recipe here: (read below to see how i made it)

this is what i used along with the water and olive oil.
    oops.....forgot the baking powder in the photo too!!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...choices-2.html

from Thurge
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/members/thurge.html

Ingredients:
    1 IP Crepe Mix OR Potato Puree Mix
    1/4 Tsp Baking powder ( i used 1/2 tsp)
    I added 1/4 tsp Crushed Rosemary
    1/2 Tbsp Oil (I use Olive Oil)
    1 dash salt (to taste)
    1 oz skim milk (from morning allowance) (i used 2 tbsp)
    Water (just enough to make it a thick but pour-able batter) (i used 6 tbsp)

Whisk together dry ingredients.
    Add oil and mix in until it starts to form crumbles.
    Add milk and mix well (it will become a doughy batter at this point)
    add enough water so that it is thick but able to be poured.

Let it sit a few minutes to thicken.

Spray a nonstick pan with Pam and spray inside your English muffin rings also.
    (Note: If you don't have English Muffin rings a small empty tuna can with the label, top and bottom removed can be used also, this recipe can make one big bun that you can slice into two smaller buns or you can make two smaller buns. I find it easier to make one big one usually because making sure I split the batter evenly is a pain.)

Put your pan with the muffin rings on the stove and get it nice and hot then pour your batter into the rings. You really don't have to fill them much more than half way. This will make the bottoms nice and crisp. once it has cooked and gotten a nice crispy bottom you can either transfer them to a cookie sheet and bake them the rest of the way or you can flip them over and finish them in the pan. The oven method tends to make them fluffier but when I am hungry enough after work I just flip them and keep it moving. You can add any seasonings you see fit (I am partial to rosemary) but you may want to up the amount of baking powder if you do.

I did mine in the skillet as above....cooked on medium heat for about 3 mins, then I just slipped my spatula under the entire ring and flipped carefully!! cooked on the other side about 3-4 mins. I let it cool on the rack for about 5 mins...that was as long as i could stand as I wanted to SEE the inside!! haha

sliced in half!!

then i toasted each half in the toaster on bagel setting, so to only toast the (insides) one side that was not already toasted!! Sprayed with a wee bit of ICBINB spray and then topped with WF Raspberry Jam....I had to stop eating to make a photo!!! You are LUCKY to get this photo!! hahaha YES!!! IT WAS THAT DELICIOUS!!!

• Quote: Thanks for posting these YOUMMY recipes!!! I'm going to make the crab cakes tonight. Going to double the recipe and make some for my road trip tomorrow. Can't wait!!!
    how did they turn out???

Quote: Love this thread! The pictures are so fun! Keep up the good work!
    awww thanks...i love recipes that have photos, so i try to take them as i make things!!

Quote: Thank you so much! Made crab cakes for the 4th and they were delicious! Really felt special.
    hope they were awesome!!
  • OMG that looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. I never have to much luck with the pudding cakes etc. They turn out rubbery but I may have to try this.
  • On the roasted pepper crab cake recipe page, there is a dipping sauce on the plate. What is it? I'm going to try making this next week when I get home. It looks scrumptious!
  • Quote: On the roasted pepper crab cake recipe page, there is a dipping sauce on the plate. What is it? I'm going to try making this next week when I get home. It looks scrumptious!
    i have no set recipe...its a vegetable puree....mostly its the same as the vegetables I use for the shrimp and grits sauce...see that post in this thread.

i just usually gather the bits and bobs and remnants of veggies and boil them in some water or light chicken broth until tender, and then puree them in the magic bullet.

i can add italian seasonings, like basil, oregano, etc for spaghetti sauce (my spaghetti being the spiral cut zucchini noodles)

i can add old bay seasonings etc for creole dishes... like shrimp and grits or crab cakes,

its especially great when you used roasted red peppers!!!

or, you can just eat it like it is with some hot sauce as thick soup...oohhhweee its GREAT!!

i had intended to use it as dipping sauce for the crab cakes, but oh my word, those crabs cakes were so good, they didn't need a thing except my mouth to gobble them down!! i have made them now every week!!
  • Rainbowsmiles... Just started IP and am looking for recipes, Your dish looks amazing but I am slightly confused. Do you get different veggies in Stage 2, 3, or 4? You have squash and cooked onions in this dish. I thought those were off limits? Anyway, it looks delicious!
  • Quote: Rainbowsmiles... Just started IP and am looking for recipes, Your dish looks amazing but I am slightly confused. Do you get different veggies in Stage 2, 3, or 4? You have squash and cooked onions in this dish. I thought those were off limits? Anyway, it looks delicious!
    which dish are you talking about??
    if it is the stacked summer salad, yellow squash ARE allowed, as are zucchini on phase 1, only winter type squash are not allowed, like butternut squash, acorn squash, etc...and the onions are NOT cooked, all the veggies in this recipe are raw and fresh.

hope that helps.
  • I made the faux English muffin. OMG. Thank you. Seriously.
  • Quote: I made the faux English muffin. OMG. Thank you. Seriously.
    vovo...i know right??? isn't is just decadent after NO bread for weeks and weeks!! I made it again last night, only made it into 2 thinner muffins, and had 1 as a "hamburger bun" and OHHHMYGOOODNESSSSS i had my burger and bun and it was awesome!!!!!!!!!!

next i am thinking "french toast" if i were to add some cinnamon and stevia to the batter and then top with the IP maple syrup??? what do you think??
  • Faux Hamburger Bun from Crepe Mix

ok so on the 4th of july, i saw so many people having hamburgers and i wanted one too!!! but i only had the burger with NO bun

still, the desire for a bun increased so i made the recipe for the "english muffin" only made it into a thinner version, making 2 muffins from the same recipe, and then sliced them in half through the center, then toasted them cut side down in a pan....and wow!!! hamburger buns!!!

added my lettuce and red onions and a happy face of mustard!!!

i cannot even begin to describe how wonderful sinking my teeth into that hamburger was!!!!!!!! it was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Quote:
    next i am thinking "french toast" if i were to add some cinnamon and stevia to the batter and then top with the IP maple syrup??? what do you think??
    I think YES.

I didn't like the crepe mix as a crepe & I was considering it as one of the many packets I was never going to purchase again, but now i'll probably stock up and use them to make sandwiches/buns ALL the TIME.

I'm only midway through my 3rd week - so although most cravings are gone (out of sight, out of mind) I still DO miss bread at times and this is a great substitute to satiate me while doing IP.

EVERYONE SHOULD TRY IT!!!
  • Quote:

ok so on the 4th of july, i saw so many people having hamburgers and i wanted one too!!! but i only had the burger with NO bun

still, the desire for a bun increased so i made the recipe for the "english muffin" only made it into a thinner version, making 2 muffins from the same recipe, and then sliced them in half through the center, then toasted them cut side down in a pan....and wow!!! hamburger buns!!!

added my lettuce and red onions and a happy face of mustard!!!

i cannot even begin to describe how wonderful sinking my teeth into that hamburger was!!!!!!!! it was delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Looks so good can't wait to try it and some of your other receipes. Thanks for sharing...
  • Crab Napoleon with “Fried” Green Tomatoes and Chunky “Mango” Salsa!!! Oh YES!!!

Crab Napoleon with “Fried” Green Tomatoes and Chunky “Mango” Salsa!!! Ohhhh YES!!!

Two slices of fried green tomatoes are alternated with layers of the heated crab mixture and then topped generously with chunky “mango” salsa.

Preheat oven to 400F.
    Place a baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes to get it plenty hot. I lined mine with a tiny piece of foil for easy cleanup. Spray with cooking spray.

Wash, peel and slice into 4 thick slices your beautiful GREEN TOMATO!!

Crush 1/2 bag Southwest Cheese Puffs in a baggie and place in shallow dish.
    Add Old Bay Seasoning, Smoked Paprika, Garlic Powder and Salt and pepper to taste

save your other half of cheese puffs for snacking or coating chicken nuggets!!!

Whip 1 egg white with Tabasco sauce to taste

Dip Tomato slices into egg and then into crumbs to coat and place on baking sheet

Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the slices over and give a little spray of ICBINB Spray (I used the one with the added olive oil).

Bake another 10 minutes or until crispy brown!!

These are EXCELLENT just like this with a little salt and pepper and topped with some salsa!! OR….
    You can make Crab Napoleons with them!!

1 Can Crab Meat of your choice…I used Crab Claw Meat
    FRESH Herbs of choice, I used a tiny bit dill, some basil, chives and parsley all from my herb garden!!
    Some finely diced red bell pepper or roasted red pepper
    Zest of 1/2 Lime and 1 TBSP Lime Juice

Mix well and heat in the oven or microwave for a few minutes until Warm

Making the Salsa!!
    1/2 Orange tomato seeded and diced
    1 TBSP Mango Drink mix
    Mix the two and let the orange tomatoes soak up the Mango Drink for flavor

1/2 Tomatillo diced
    1 Mini Red Pepper Diced
    1 Jalapeno Diced
    1 TBSP Dried Shallots
    Zest of 1/2 Lime and 1 TBSP Lime Juice
    1 Tsp Cilantro Paste or more to taste
    1 Tsp Chili Peppers Paste or more to taste
    1 Tsp Garlic Paste or more to taste

Mix well and let sit about 10-15 minutes while the tomatoes are baking!

Next: Assemble your Crab Napoleons!!

Soft bed of butter lettuce, Fried Green Tomatoes, Crab mixture, Another Fried Green Tomato and more crab mixture, then top it all with the salsa!!

Enjoy!!

• Thank You!
    Wow Rainbowsmiles! Your creative recipes and accompanying photos are amazing! I never thought I'd have any use for potato puree or crepe mix. Wrong! You could create your own IP cookbook! Thanks for sharing!