Rest time

• So, I'm curious what you all think about this. This is probably a dumb question but eh.

I go to the gym in the morning and sometimes do some weight training- mostly just lat pulldown, bicep cable curl, tricep pulldown, cable row, etc. So machines, basically. I want to start using free weights but the time I go is pretty crowded and I feel completely self conscious. I know, everyone starts somewhere, but I know myself and I will not do it if I feel uncomfortable.

In the meantime, since I have dumbbells at home, I'm wondering if I can safely use them in the evening even if I do some weight training in the morning. I know you're not supposed to use the same muscles two days in a row, does the same apply to 8-10 hours later? I really want to add some more weight training and this would fit best into my schedule/comfort zone, but I don't know if it's safe.
  • I don't know the answer to your question, but I reckon you should try to overcome your fears and just DO IT at the gym!!! Most people will pay you no attention whatsoever--and even if they do, you are just as entitled to use the free weights as anyone else.

If it would help, perhaps you could watch some youtube videos and do some practice sets at home so that you feel more confident about what you are doing when you get to the gym. (I would recommend military/dumbbell presses, some kind of row--two point, 3 point, db, bb, whatever--, lat pulldowns, and DB chest presses--either lying down or at an incline (or, you could try elevated push ups, where you do push ups against something kinda high). Those are your 4 basic upper body lifts. If you do a variation of each of those 4, you don't need to do any others.

And don't forget squats, lunges and deadlifts!!!
  • Overcome your fears!

I was so intimidated when I started lifting free weights at the gym. I was afraid people would look at me or... I don't know! The complete opposite has been true! I've had guys give me so much constructive advice. I've gained SO much confidence.

As for your question. Unless you're lifting HEAVY, there shouldn't be a problem doing what you are describing. But, you should lift HEAVY .
  • Just to add onto Val's comment, you should be so exhausted from lifting that you couldn't possibly contemplate doing more lifting later that day.

Lift HEAVY!
  • okay, you guys are right. I spent the evening watching YouTube videos. And I'm not a total newbie.... I've lifted weights on and off for awhile, just not consistently. I know no one is going to sit there and watch me and or critique my form, it's just the anxiety of going over there for the first time. So I will give it a shot tomorrow morning.
  • Good woman!

Enjoy it!
  • Thanks for the encouragement! There were only 3 or 4 people over there this morning and I felt totally fine. I did feel like I was floundering around a bit but I figured it out. Practice will help.

I've heard conflicting information about what constitutes 'heavy' lifting. I was able to do 6-8 reps at the weight I chose before compromising form/it feeling too hard. Is that about right?

Feeling rather wobbly... today was not a good day to wear heels... baaad planning. lol
  • Good on you! A little heckling from a pair of strangers is sometimes all it takes.

'Heavy' is completely relative and it depends on the number of reps as much as anything. Good form is really important, and so is feeling like you might not be able to manage the last rep or two. So long as you are REALLY feeling it by the last rep or two, you're doing good.

Now you've earned your rest day and your protein
  • Quote: Thanks for the encouragement! There were only 3 or 4 people over there this morning and I felt totally fine. I did feel like I was floundering around a bit but I figured it out. Practice will help.

I've heard conflicting information about what constitutes 'heavy' lifting. I was able to do 6-8 reps at the weight I chose before compromising form/it feeling too hard. Is that about right?

Feeling rather wobbly... today was not a good day to wear heels... baaad planning. lol
    Sounds about right!! Remember to alternate upper/lower body when you're going that heavy. And probably don't wear heels after doing lower body haha. My goal is 6-8 reps to failure, too .

Awesome job!