New to Low Carb

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi,

Well, I'm new to Atkins (just started Tuesday). My cousin has been doing it for 6 weeks (his doctor recommended it) and has lost 30 pounds. I have tried everything and this program really makes sense. My hubby, who has never tried a plan with me, is gonna try it too. I guess I was just wondering if anyone has any tips, especially regarding good low carb foods that I can try. I would love to hear from you!!!

Christina
  • Pork rinds. That's my best tip. They are the perfect Atkins food. Low Carb, balanced in fat and in protein. I use them to make meatloaf, fried chicken, and just for snacking.

If either of you drink beer, try the Michalob Ultra, my husband (DH as we call them here on the board) switched to it and with that change alone has dropped quite a bit. You really shouldn't have it during induction, but it's a better choice than most.

Oh, I forgot to say "Welcome to the Coop!"
  • Welcome Christina!!

Best advice? Prepare your weekly lunches (if you need to take them to work) and have your suppers planned for the week. This helps me keep ontrack. Especially for lunchs, then Im not stopping at the diner or the corner store for goodies I shouldnt be having.

2. Stay away from the atkins bars and diet sodas (especially during induction) they will stall your weight loss

Im sure some of the ladies here have some great advice!

Robin
  • Thanks sooo much for the great advice. I've been packing lunch for myself, but breakfast is really the tough time. I have early classes, need to get my dughter to school, and there's no time to eat. I've been hard-boiling eggs the night before and eating them in the car on the way to school.....only at red lights of course...lol

Christina
  • I make up a batch of egg salad, its easy to eat in the morn when Im in a rush. (not for induction though, I put miracle whip in mine) but if you have a mayo with no sugar that you like, try it. Toss some celery in it for a crunch if you like.

or, make up some sort of patty, burger, salmon, tuna etc and eat that on the drive to work?

Im still in a carb fog from yesterday, when I think of more, I'll let you know
  • Robin - Miracle Whip is a no-no? No wonder I'm stuck. I knew it a some carbs, but I just counted them. I swear I did read the book.
  • I haven't finished the book yet, but I'm going by what my cousin's doc told him, and he told me mayo is OK........am I royally screwing up??

Christina
  • Miracle whip has sugar in it. I dont use it on induction. No mayo at all actually, because if I cant have whip, then I dont want it.

You can use a mayo with no sugar. But whats the point?

Once I got off induction, the first thing I added was MW....then fruit. I seem to being doing fine with loosing by adding these items. Cottage cheese too.
  • Okay, I'm going home and tossing out MW.
  • lol dont toss it, you'll need it in another 2 weeks!! Are you staying on induction for just 2 weeks, or til you've lost all you want?
  • Welcome!

Best advice for mornings is to get some deli meats and make cream cheese roll ups. One large leaf of lettuce, spread cream cheese and layer meat and roll up. Great to make the night before and even easier in the car!

As for snacks, I always have cucumber and cheese on hand. Instead of doing crackers and cheese, do cukes and cheese! I even got fancy once and got some kolbassa slices and put them on too for a more complete snack.

Hope this helps!
  • wow pooky.. those roll ups sound like actual cooking!!!! I Just roll up some meat with a little cheese and call it a day, unless i put a dab of LF chipotle mayo. or a sliver of cucumber or red pepper. but that doesn't happen all that often.

but last week i smashed up some blue cheese with a little sour cream [i could have used cream cheese as well], added a little hot sauce [because a girl needs it!!!] and spread it on a lettuce leaf, and then rolled it up with a buffalo chicken finger or two.
    what a treat!!!! Works great on roast beef alone, too.

HMMM. that about blows my cooking creativity for today!!!
  • Cook out season is here!! that means burgers (on a sandwich of lettuce) and tons of beef grilled (tonight for example)
  • i'm new to the atkins as well. I started on monday and kind of surprised how easy it has been to stick to it (this time). I tried atkins in the past and was never able to stay with it for more than a day, to tell you the truth i think i'm a carb addict. once i have carbs i can't stop eating more, even when i get headaches from low blood sugar. I haven't felt this good in a while.

I've been lurking around the last few days, using some of the recipes and studying up on lo-carb. I've tried almost every other plan out there and i realized today that i don't even feel hungry in between meals.
  • About mayo,
    I use Hellmann's mayo and put Splenda in it to taste. It's really good.