Night time temptation!!

• I can eat right for most of the day - it gets a little more difficult if I have my purse with me at work (I'm doing research at my university over summer) because I CANNOT convince myself to not grab lunch from one of the university's food outlets (today I did good - I bought a chicken pita from extreme pita, but sometimes A&W sings a sweet song that I cannot resist) Usually, I combat this by leaving my money at home and bringing a small snack (carrots, a granola bar), today I had to cash a cheque so I took my wallet with me.

It's not so easy to fight the night time cravings. At around 9 or 10 pm they come...a few hours after supper...the desire, no, NEED to consume chips...or gummie worms...or ice cream, or a grilled cheese sandwich....

I've tried to say "nope, not eating that" to myself or to set a rule that the kitchen is closed after suppertime...but some days, much like the A&W siren, it's just too difficult. I've found that some steamed veggies (frozen, our pantry is too damp to keep anything fresh for too long) or some air popped popcorn works well, but it's just too expensive to keep stocking up on this stuff...

Any suggestions? Tricks? Tips? Commiserations?
  • Try tea- there are many varieties without caffeine, and you can make it low calorie.
  • These days I always ask myself if I'm hungry and think about why I would eat something. Also lots and lots of water, herbal teas and if I'm desperate I'll eat an apple. I let myself eat some fruit or something but a lot of the time that's not what I want so I don't eat it. Then I realise that I'm really not hungry and just bored. Do you have anything else you can do to distract yourself?
  • Have you thought about trying some intermittent fasting with your plan? Skip breakfast and relegate your eating to a more narrow and later window. That is an excellent way to deal with nighttime cravings, by having a planned and substantial meal during that time.
  • I find that too! Night time is my free time to relax and enjoy myself... I suppose how I do that it EATING!! So I think I need a new hobby!!
    Also, I think I might try eating a bit more (but healthy of course) in the day so I don't maybe get the urge to eat so much at night. Sometimes I am so so very good in the day, I eat even less than I need for the diet... but this is usually followed by pigging out at night!