How long before other people notice?

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • Kaypix- haha! You are so right!
  • Another thought is that people may not notice as easily if you're still wearing the same clothes you wore at your heavier weight.
  • I actually have gotten comments from the first week by my co-workers. I have lost 10 lbs in my first 2 wks and most of the people I work have noticed and made comments. Mostly that my face is thinner and my pants look looser LOL. Then again I work with a bunch of girls that are always on one diet or another (WW, HCG, ...you name it) so we look for those things. My DH was out of town when I started IP and claimed he noticed the difference right away.

But as several other said before, I'm doing this for ME, not for other people. So having my hubby and the girls at my center cheer me on is good enough for me!

I think other people do have a problem commenting on weight in women, and they will probably tell you later that they thought something was different, but not quite sure what.

Keep up the good work and it will all pay off in the end.
  • I wanted to be very private about doing this IP plan, and only told a few people. However, when I reached the 45# mark (down from 195), everyone noticed and commented even if I didn't want to draw attention to my body!
  • It was a mix of 40 lbs. and then new clothes that got people commenting for me and still some people don't say a word - but I know - that's what matters!
  • I found that when I hit 30lbs, people started looking at me a bit different and then saying things like wow your hair looks great or there is something different did you change your hair. haha and I had not!

Now that I lost about another 5lb more people are making comments like wow, you look awesome you are melting what are you doing??

I love hearing comments from people, it is a HUGE motivator for me!!
  • Quote: How about some 'tough love' LOL???

Are you doing for others or are you doing this for yourself?? I of course dont know you or your motivation, but have to assume you are doing this for yourself. Getting noticed by others should not matter as long as you are happy with what you are doing for yourself....

Dont get me wrong, it will be great when others do notice, but that should neither encourage or discourage you while on your journey.

Keep your head up, remember why you are doing this, and carry on. 24# is great and you should be proud.
    I was also disappointed that no one was noticing. Thank you Longhorn Energy for the tough love!!
  • My DH swears he can see the difference, but no one else in my life has commented or seems to know I'm in a weight loss pattern. That's fine, I'm doing it for me not for them. And it WILL become noticeable when I lose half what I need to lose and beyond.

Some people just aren't very observant (especially if you are buying new clothes, they might just see the new outfit but not realize the new outfit is because you are a smaller size now) and like one poster said, some just are uncomfortable. Just like many people won't ask a woman when she's due until it looks really convincingly that she is expecting.
  • To update from my original post: I am at a 24# loss today, and today not one but FIVE!! people have said they noticed some weight loss. When I tell them how much I have lost, it's like their eyebrows want to fly off the top of their heads, LOL!

Longhorn, I appreciate your input. I know this diet is for me, and I have noticed changes in myself, but OMG what a great feeling when others notice!!
  • Well I've noticed that people who care about me, friends, have noticed. People who I have business only relationships with have not noticed or at least not commented. At the kitchen sink this morning my 9 year old son told me how thin my legs looked. He put his next to mine and said they looked about the same size, they don't he weighs like 73# but it was cute as heck and I thanked him for noticing.
  • Quote: To update from my original post: I am at a 24# loss today, and today not one but FIVE!! people have said they noticed some weight loss. When I tell them how much I have lost, it's like their eyebrows want to fly off the top of their heads, LOL!

Longhorn, I appreciate your input. I know this diet is for me, and I have noticed changes in myself, but OMG what a great feeling when others notice!!
    Great news! Glad to hear you are finally receiving some positive feedback. I attended a 25th anniversary this weekend, and the family was quite shocked...Ive always been the 'big' cousin lol and I have to agree, even as a guy, its nice to hear that you are looking better.
  • Quote: Well I've noticed that people who care about me, friends, have noticed. People who I have business only relationships with have not noticed or at least not commented. At the kitchen sink this morning my 9 year old son told me how thin my legs looked. He put his next to mine and said they looked about the same size, they don't he weighs like 73# but it was cute as heck and I thanked him for noticing.
    Vet: I have 3 daughters, and ya it rocks when your kids say something...My youngest gauges my loss by how her arms fit around me, and she can finally touch her hands when she hugs me now, shes excited and in her mind ive lost thousands of pounds LOL
  • A few people have been noticing and keeping track since about 20 lbs, but now that I've hit 40 lbs, others are beginning to notice, and yes they think it's my hair that's changed, but haven't associated it with weight-loss. I really think most people are cautious in case they offend...
  • People at work didn't notice until AFTER I hit my goal. People I don't see often noticed around the 10-15 pound mark.

People's minds work slowly, esp if they see you all the time.
  • My in laws noticed after 13ish pounds after not seeing me for 2 weeks.

As for people not being comfortable talking about weight to women, I have seen quite the opposite in my time. I am a psychiatric nurse, and some of my patients have absolutely no social filter whatsoever. I remember one man telling me out of nowhere one day : "Hey, even if you're fat, I find you beautiful". Gee, thanks a lot. And I can't remember how many times I was asked when I was due from my female patients. Am not THAT fat, am I? I guess that was a huge motivator for me, most people will never tell you to your face, I'm taking it as a blessing!