Moderate or Vigorous?

• I tried searching the forum for an answer but didn't find anything.

I have been using my stationary bike since May 1, three days a week. I've been logging my exercise on Sparkpeople and it wants to know if I'm doing moderate exercise or vigorous. Moderate being <12mph vigorous being >15mph, and no in between.

Usually I average 13-14 mph on the medium resistance setting, but it FEELS vigorous. I mean sweat pouring down my face, can't talk or sing without slowing down, and my heart rate is between 145-160 nearly the whole time. So should I log it as vigorous?
  • I would say at that level of exertion - you can't talk during exercise - for you it is vigorous. And that's what it's about....how your exercise effects your body. Pls be careful with your target and maximum heart rates -- don't over do it.
  • Thank you. I'm glad I don't have to go back and change 3 weeks of logging. As for the heart rate, every target heart rate calculator I've used says that is exactly right for my age, 27.
  • Definitely sounds vigorous to me.
  • Moderate vs Vigorous totally depends on the person's fitness level, not the speed. Sounds like it's very vigorous to me!
  • Sounds crazy vigorous something that i could never do lol