Got cleared to exercise! Questions...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • My coach told me I could go ahead and start exercising again! Yay! I really missed it. She also told me I need to have an extra packet right after I finish my workout. My questions are as follows: What is the purpose of the extra packet after exercising? How often do you ladies exercise? What intensity? What duration? TIA
  • The extra packet is to ensure you have enough protein that your body doesn't start using your muscles for protein.
    I exercise for approx 1 hour 6 days a week. I do high intensity bootcamp like training and strength training mainly. With some spin or Zumba for fun!

I eat my bar before my workout and my dinner right after. I don't always have the extra packet as it doesn't always fit in my schedule!
  • I recently started up running by using a program called Couch 2 5k. Teaches you to run a 5k in around 8 weeks. On days when I feel the need for the extra protein I usually have a chocolate drink right after or split it to have half before I run and half after. Keeps the munchies away until I get to my next meal.
  • I hadn't thought about trying C25K again, I had started it last summer but never stuck with it...hm...I'm walking a lot now, 30 min every day at lunch, could start to incorporate jogging for a stretch at a time...
  • I just started the other day too, 30 minutes of walking whenever I feel like it
  • I take 10 minute "mini-breaks" in the morning, at lunchtime, and in the afternoon to walk on the treadmill. Can't go outside right now, my allergies are KILLING me!
  • I have done 2-2.7 mile walks ~4x/week throughout IP, but I stay very low intensity (taking my son to the park) and leisure and didn't do an extra packet. I just restarted a 3x/week weightlifting class and find I need that extra packet as my hunger has increased with the intensity.

ETA: tue/thu class @ 6:30pm, sat class @ 8:30am.
    Tue/thur: breakfast@8am, lunch@12pm, snack@4pm, walk@4:30pm, snack@6pm, bodypump@6:30pm, dinner@8pm
    Sat: snack@8am, bodypump@8:30am, breakfast@10am, lunch@12pm, snack@4pm, dinner@8pm
    With the weightlifting I find I need to eat soon to control my hunger monster!
  • I tried getting back to body pump but it affected my WL and I didn't lose any BF that week...actually gained a tiny bit. Based on that, I'm sticking with 30 min on the elliptical up to 4 times a week for now.

I would LOVE togetback into running - we will see
  • Quote: I tried getting back to body pump but it affected my WL and I didn't lose any BF that week...actually gained a tiny bit. Based on that, I'm sticking with 30 min on the elliptical up to 4 times a week for now.

I would LOVE togetback into running - we will see
    I actually am expecting a gain my 1st week back at bodypump...although last week I went 2x (sat & tue, WI on Fri) and had an okay week, but I think enough time had elapsed for muscle repair by then. I skipped the next thu & sat class, but restarted this tue & thur. The initial muscle tear & repair causes some water retention, I am giving it at least 2 weeks of 3x/week to overcome the initial muscle repair (not counting last week -that was an awful allergy week!). I am slowly stepping up my weights, feeling the soreness all over again!
    Tom is starting in a few days, so not expecting great numbers anyways...oh well, the water will flush out eventually!
  • Quote: I take 10 minute "mini-breaks" in the morning, at lunchtime, and in the afternoon to walk on the treadmill. Can't go outside right now, my allergies are KILLING me!
    Omg, I hear you - I was crazy miserable last week! Finally feeling human again!
  • Quote: I recently started up running by using a program called Couch 2 5k. Teaches you to run a 5k in around 8 weeks. On days when I feel the need for the extra protein I usually have a chocolate drink right after or split it to have half before I run and half after. Keeps the munchies away until I get to my next meal.
    I can personally attest that Cto5K works as I did that 6 years ago. Although when I did the 3 miles, I'd end up taking about 45 minutes. LOL.
  • I have always wanted to try C25K...maybe with IP I'll actually be able to do it! Does anyone do the Slow Burn weight lifting method? I bought the book but haven't started it yet...heard that it can be good along with IP.
  • I began exercising when I began maintenance. I do 45 minutes of brisk walking on a treadmill 4 - 5x per week and lift free weights on alternating days. I've just started doing ab workouts too...
  • Quote: I recently started up running by using a program called Couch 2 5k. Teaches you to run a 5k in around 8 weeks. On days when I feel the need for the extra protein I usually have a chocolate drink right after or split it to have half before I run and half after. Keeps the munchies away until I get to my next meal.

I am going to be starting the C25K program in a few weeks. I have started it 3 times now and never gotten past day 3 LOL but I am hoping that once I have another 10 - 15 pounds less to drag along it will be a little easier and I will be more motivated. I would like to start it now but schedule just doesn't let me ... but I NEED the stress relief!!
  • I've been doing the same amount of exercize during the program as I was right before I started...I walk my dog a mile every morning at a very comfy 20-25 minutues. I cut out the random extra walks or classes, which I was never very consistent with anyway.
    Just last week I added back long walks on the weekends, 3-6 miles. So far so good!!!