Back to school challenge anybody?

You're on Page 9 of 20
Go to
  • hahaha, yes, Tim Horton's IS on my brain, because I am going through a iced capp withdrawal I love them. I don't drink coffee or tea, and that's the closest I'll get. I will drink a French Vanilla every now and again, but they are sooooo sweet that my stomach gets upset But Iced Capps made with milk are only like 1.5 grams of fat!!! not the regular 11grams they usually contain. How I miss them

I watched a few of the Insanity videos just to see what they were like. I like that the music isn't so.. fake sounding. It's not your typical workout music lol. Also Shaun breaks a sweat! and pants! like a human! and the people doing it with him look like they're dying! Which could be bad, but I think it's just more real, you know? lol I'm excited

---

So I just did week 2 of Ripped in 30, and I have to say, I sweat alot more, but it wasn't that enjoyable. Well the first half anyways. I just felt uncomfortable with a few of the moves, not workout pain. Part of it is because I have a bad knee (I tore cartilage when doing trapeze 2 summers ago) but I just didn't feel alot of the other movements. But I would say the stuff in the second half was pretty good. To be fair I wasn't wearing shoes again, so those plank jacks were impossible... so that probably has something to do with why I didn't like it that much.
  • OH I also meant to ask you guys about heart rate monitors. Are they all roughly the same, are some better than others? What should my heart rate be at and what is a dangerous heart rate? All those kinds of things lol
  • Hopefully it is not too late to join! I'm Jacqueline or fatbookworm. I'm entering my "senior" senior year this fall (I'm an English/secondary ed major, so we go four years for our BA and then an extra year of student teaching). I want to lose 35 lbs by September. My overall goal is to lose 150 lbs, so it will only be 1/5 my goal, but it would still feel pretty good! I am also going to run my first 5k in late September, and hope to be almost 45 lbs down by then. *fingers crossed*
  • Quote: Hopefully it is not too late to join! I'm Jacqueline or fatbookworm. I'm entering my "senior" senior year this fall (I'm an English/secondary ed major, so we go four years for our BA and then an extra year of student teaching). I want to lose 35 lbs by September. My overall goal is to lose 150 lbs, so it will only be 1/5 my goal, but it would still feel pretty good! I am also going to run my first 5k in late September, and hope to be almost 45 lbs down by then. *fingers crossed*
    Welcome to the paaaaarrty, fatbookworm! I am also technically going into my 5th year of uni because I'm in the co-op programme and I alternate between studying one term and working the next. Getting out of this BA will feel great!

Running a 5k is an awesome goal and I wish I could actually commit to a run like that. I keep thinking about it, but I never sign myself up for one.
  • Quote: Hopefully it is not too late to join! I'm Jacqueline or fatbookworm. I'm entering my "senior" senior year this fall (I'm an English/secondary ed major, so we go four years for our BA and then an extra year of student teaching). I want to lose 35 lbs by September. My overall goal is to lose 150 lbs, so it will only be 1/5 my goal, but it would still feel pretty good! I am also going to run my first 5k in late September, and hope to be almost 45 lbs down by then. *fingers crossed*
    Hey fatbookworm! Welcome! I will be entering my 3rd year of that kind of 5 year BA/Bed thing, except I'm in Con-Ed for Music so it's B.Mus/B.Ed. I can't wait to be in my Senior Senior Year xD
  • Quote: OH I also meant to ask you guys about heart rate monitors. Are they all roughly the same, are some better than others? What should my heart rate be at and what is a dangerous heart rate? All those kinds of things lol
    I was actually researching the very same question last night! I found for the most part that you should invest in a more expensive one and not get one from Marshalls/Winners/Giant Tiger/Walmart.

The very best one on the market is the Polar FT60 which just so happens to be freaking beautiful and lovely. It retails for about 200 bucks in Canada which is absurd so this is more for people who are a) rich and b) crazy athletes.

A lot of reviews from normal plebes like you and I found that the Polar FT7 was much cheaper and worked just as well for what they needed out of a heart rate monitor. I am personally hoping my parents will buy it for me for my birthday in July. It retails for something like 120 in Canada but I found it on amazon.ca for 91. [I still can't post links otherwise I would!]

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the actual science of ideal heart rates and stuff but I hope my polar-rich post was at least somewhat helpful.
  • I don't know anything about monitors, but I think mid-100s is where we want to be during the peak of our workout? Don't hold me to that though? I'm googling it now.

Yep, it says to stay above 120 but below 160!

Jacqueline, Welcome! I'm also going to be a 5th year, but I have no legitimate excuses. I switched majors my senior year! Oops.
  • Hola ladiesss!! Im just passing by on this super busy and fun weekend to say I hope you're all enjoying your time and staying on plan, or trying to xoxoxoxoxo
  • Thanks for the welcomes! Welcome fatbookworm also!

spiritualflow and Kristi22, how ironic that we're all around the same weight and height!!! Maybe we can perhaps check in with each other and give any advices to one another about weight loss I'm always trying to find people with my same weight/height to talk to, LOL. What size in jeans do you guys wear? I wear an 11 and usually medium tops.

Caramelkitty, holy crap, your weight loss is so inspiring! And you look great in that picture! I laughed @ the Kim Kardashian thing, LOL.

I guess I should introduce myself a little. My name is Vi and I'm going on my third year as a Health Service Administration major. I live in Orlando and I absolutely love anything Disney-related. I plan on working at Disney this next term so it'll definitely help in my weight-loss journey (lots of walking) if I get the job!

Atm, I'm counting calories. 1200 is my cap. I don't calorie-count EVERYTHING, however. I just eye-ball the calories or else I'd go crazy. I was once this weight before and I got down to 130ish but in a very unhealthy way and so I gained it all back in like 2 years. How's everyone's weight-loss journey so far? Catch me up!!
  • Hey Bloopers! I think 1200 may be too low, so be careful that you don't under do it to the point of where your body thinks it's starving. I try for 1300, and yea I'm so excited to find people who are roughly the same height and weight as me!! It's not everyday that happens lol. I wear Medium-Large shirts and size 10 jeans. I miiiight be able to fit into an 8, but I haven't in about a year. Which is sad. I also usually wear larger shirts because of my boobs... yay for 34DD! (not as fun as it sounds) I think I gained 10 pounds in first year last year, but to be honest I'm not sure if it was the camp the summer prior or the freshman15 curse. haha.

I would say everybody is doing well, and staying motivated! It's only been a couple of weeks so far, can't wait till we're all half way through this summer!
  • You know, it's crazy because sometimes I don't even reach 1200 and I'd already feel full! I never starve myself though, I just practice portion control a lot now. And give me one cup size, LOL! I'm a 34B, and I'm praying to God that it doesn't shrink as I lose the weight, LOL. And OMG, talk about gaining weight Freshman year! I think I gained a total of 10 pounds from eating so much crap! And lucky! I could never fit into an 8 at this point. I have stubby legs and wide hips, LOL.

Before when I lost around 25ish pounds in 2 months, all I ate was salad straight for every meal. It's crazy and very unhealthy. I didn't know how to diet and I was desperate, but now I know better (:
  • Well know you do! And you will look amazing at the end of this summer The worst part of university was that there was only junk food nearby. I mean I ate subway alot too, but that gets boring 5 times a week... and I was ADDICTED to McDonald's monopoly haha.. also, the only reason I fit in an 8 is because my actual waist line is puny, but my thighs and stomach are SO fat. Like it hurts trying to get into an 8 only because of my thighs lol.
  • My scale HATES me!!!!!! I'm too frustrated to write more tonight :P. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • Bloopers, I think what spiritualflow is referring to is your body thinking it's starving. If you aren't getting enough calories and nutrition then your body will reverse its process and start storing fat and burning lean muscle tissue. Obviously that's not what we want!! 1200 isn't a ridiculous number or anything, unless you're doing some intense workouts. Just be careful that you're not consistently lacking in calories!

I'm also a D cup. I can't stand it. I want to be a 36C again!! Perfect size!

The hardest things for me in college have been...Hmmm...I'll make a list.

1. My arch nemesis - drunk eating - Chicken Bacon Ranch pizza from the bar. TO DIE FOR.
    2. Cafeteria
    3. Schedule - No consistency or normalcy and up until all hours = crazy eating habits
    4. My coach force feeding us chinese food, Chipotle, and the likes every time we would head home from a game. Keep in mind that I was a bench warmer, so I didn't burn the kind of calories that everyone else did.
    5. Roommates/Peer Pressure - "Let's go get ice cream, Kristi. It will be bonding time." "Kristi, finish this pizza for us. We can't eat any more." "Kristi, we're drinking tonight whether you like it or not." "Kristi, we want you to be FAAAAAAAT!!" Okay, that last one was never said but might as well! Jeesh.

As for sizes I have no idea what size jeans I am any more because I haven't bought any in decades. Probably a 10 though? And medium/large for shirts as well.

When I get to 20 posts I want to include some pictures of my weight loss "journey" because I actually lost about 25 pounds in high school and my pictures from that time period are serving as my motivation!!!

Valrock, You'll have those days. Thanks for stopping by, regardless! Today IS a new day, and you're gonna come back stronger than ever!

Time to get Insane!! Power and Resistance today. My least favorite workout. Argh, here goes nothing.
  • Hi everyone!

I would also like to join the challenge! I'll be finished with my Masters in July so I'll think of this more as a "enter the working world" challenge

I like running and swimming for exercise, but right now I'm writing my thesis and with the stress, getting motivated on my own to do exercise and healthy eating has been hard.

As of today, I weigh in at 157 lbs. Goal weight is approx.140. Lookin' forward to the support!