Getting vomit smell out of sink?

• My roommate is graduating this week, and her sister came down to attend the ceremony. They went out last night, and her sister got really drunk and threw up in our kitchen sink. That's not a big deal - my roommate had the mess cleaned it up before I even knew about it, I think they're both fun, interesting people, and at least her sister made it to the sink, right?

However, the sink still smells like vomit. Does anybody know how I can get rid of this smell? I don't want to experience the aroma of decaying upchuck every time I turn the garbage disposal on.

Thanks.
  • I'd start by giving the whole thing a good rinse with some hot water and disinfectant. After that, maybe try pouring some vinegar down there?
  • citrus peels in the disposal should help.
  • Second the citrus for the disposal. If there's not a disposal, consider bleach. It is great at eating away at any remaining bio-material.

(Not so) Funny story regarding that....

Last night I go to take a bath, finally. I clean all the kids toys out of the tub and I think "What is that smell? Maybe it's the trash." So I take out the trash and light a candle and proceed. I get close to the drain to shove the plug in and OMG! There's poop in the drain. I know this came from my son as my daughter doesn't bathe unsupervised and he go out on his own. LOL. It smelled awful. Poured a bunch of bleach down there to combat the smell and eat away at it.

BTW, it's not harmful to your plumbing. It was recommended by our plumber to use bleach every 6 months or so to keep hair from clogging our drains.
  • baking soda and vinegar
  • I'd go with baking soda and vinegar as well. That combo will clean just about anything.
  • I second the lemon or bleach any of the above suggestions should work.
  • Quote: I second the lemon or bleach any of the above suggestions should work.
    Agree first thing I thought when I saw this was Lemon, Lemon, Lemon!
  • Everyone gave you great advice! I had no idea you could put bleach down the pipes to get rid of hair. Handy trick.

Run lots and lots of water. And run the disposal.
  • Thanks!
  • Best way to clean the garbage disposal - run hot water, start the disposer, drop in ice cubes and citrus peels. Cleans a funky sink every time.
  • Throw in a whole lemon or slice in half if it is large and turn the disposer on,this is a good idea to do periodically.