Finals are a major weight loss obstacle!

• Hello all,
    It has been a rather hectic few weeks here for students... I have been pulling my hair out with stress!
    Unfortunately, the stress and lack of sleep give the the munchies like nobody's business. And I haven't had the time to work out in eight days. Since I'm not working out I'm trying to cut my calories to about 1,200 a day, but the munchies almost always sabotage me. I've eaten about 2,000/day for the past 3 days. And I'm struggling so hard to not eat more than that!

What do you guys do in situations like this? In times where you are super stressed for a short period, do you just go easy on yourself and pick up the ball when the storm has passed? Or is that a dangerous and slippery slope?
  • I am going through the finals stress too right now. I have to make time for exercise because I am no good without it. It calms me and gives me an outlet for the built up cortisol, and it helps me sleep better. When I sleep better, I don't eat as much. Meditation helps too, because it makes me not hink about anything, when I normally would just try to think about everything. Perspective helps, too, because when I think my life is so tough because I got a B+, I remember my coworker who lost her dad recently, and all of the other people who are going through something tough right now. Things that are way tougher than my silly little tests and the impossible expectations I set for myself. Take care and good luck on your finals!
  • Quote: I am going through the finals stress too right now. I have to make time for exercise because I am no good without it. It calms me and gives me an outlet for the built up cortisol, and it helps me sleep better. When I sleep better, I don't eat as much. Meditation helps too, because it makes me not hink about anything, when I normally would just try to think about everything. Perspective helps, too, because when I think my life is so tough because I got a B+, I remember my coworker who lost her dad recently, and all of the other people who are going through something tough right now. Things that are way tougher than my silly little tests and the impossible expectations I set for myself. Take care and good luck on your finals!
    Thank you, and good luck to you too! I will try meditation and will make it a priority to squeeze in exercise of some sort. It's hard to find the time right now, but I have heard that exercise helps with concentration... And I could definitely use some of that!!
  • Tea, chew ice, study at the library (no eating allowed)!

I've been working out HARD the last couple weeks too. It feels good to blow off steam and clear my head.

I'm lucky that stress makes me lose my appetite, these days.
  • I think my issues are excuses... like, I'd rather study and read my books than work out. I always eat more than usual during finals week, I get hungry often for some reason. I also have to say sleep is important, everything you studied is all over the place, your brain needs rest to put it all together. Worrying about finals doesn't let me sleep either, and I binge about it, just take it day by day.

I think eating more calories helps you think better and do better on the exams, the right foods though, I hope I don't sound superstitious like that
  • If I didn't exercise I don't know how I would have gotten through grad school. Seriously, exercise relaxed me enough so that I could get a clear mind to study and do well on my final exams and projects.
  • Quote: If I didn't exercise I don't know how I would have gotten through grad school. Seriously, exercise relaxed me enough so that I could get a clear mind to study and do well on my final exams and projects.
    I am about to graduate from grad school and I agree..............