Exercise or SB alone?

• I am just curious if anyone is doing well with just SB sans workouts? I have such a hard time fittin it into my schedule. I know I will much easier when the weather is better around here but am just curious if anyone relies strictly on diet?
  • Well, I will be the first to admit, I don't have an exercise program. And I have been trying to get one that I will actually do. so, that being said, I am happy with my SB results and I know they could be better if I could get myself to move a little.

I need someone to call me everyday and say, are you out walking today, maybe that would do it. But it is hard, with work and house stuff, at this time in my life I am stressed and at the end of the day my energy is zapped and yes, I know they are excuses. Let me know what gets a person to just do it?
  • I have always heard that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. (My trainer agrees.) I think you can certainly make progress with just your eating. And when you can add exercise, you'll have many added benefits beyond just an extra calorie burn!

P.S. I should mention that I am a consistent exerciser. Although I haven't been able to do any cardio since early December because of a minor injury. I still strength train and do yoga. Before my injury I did cardio seven days a week.
  • I agree with Karen. I have had weight loss success without exercise. However without it I do not maintain my lists very long. I was a regular at the gym for many years. Then boomeritis got me! Stress fracture in my foot from running, torn meniscus, hernia surgery followed by back surgery the following year left me a mess. I had no choice but to give up running. Then I got in a lazy funk and did, well nothing for almost a year. I bought a spin bike to work out at home and I really enjoyed it. Last summer I bought my first bike since high school! LOVE it!!! The key for me is if I don't enjoy it I won't do it. Just remember no matter how slow you are, you are still lapping the person sitting on the couch!
  • I'm just doing SB with no exercise right now. I know I'd see faster results with it, and I'd definitely like to tone up certain areas and that won't happen without exercise but I just don't have the time right now. The only time I could consistently do it now would be to get up at 4:30/5:00 am and I would much rather be sleeping then! Maybe one of these days ...
  • I'm going to be the fly in the ointment. I lost weight with SB a couple of years ago, but strayed, so I'm back with more to lose. The thing I've noticed while I've been sitting on my b*tt wprrying about my weight is - the people that consistently exercise are the ones that are able to keep the weight off. So - I'm faithfully doing my interval walking, and on the off days doing the whole body thing and my mini trampoline. My secret (well not so much anymore ) goal is to be able to run a 5K. So the short answer at the end of the long reply - Yes, you can lose weight, but I think for maintenance, fitness is the key.
  • I am so glad you brought this up. I was also going to make a post about this same topic. I am finding that I am stuck without exercise. I am just transitioning to phase 2 this week, (started on Monday) I have added in a bowl of steel cut oatmeal for breakfast and that is the only change I have made. I have not lost any weight this week at all or last week for that matter. I seem to be stuck in a rut so I am thinking I must have to add exercise into my daily routine to be successful. I keep monitoring and just see how it goes and let you know.
  • Thanks for all the responses! I have social anxiety issues with going to the gym, I fought through them for a few weeks but my depression has been really bad lately and I just haven't been able to push myself to go. I want to just try working out at home for now but it's finding the time, I too would have to get up super early lol and today would have been day one, getting up a lil before 6am to make my husband's lunch for the day, I planned to work out after he left but my two year old decided he needed to be up at that time today too! haha So, hopefully tomorrow.
  • Most of my exercise while I was losing was just walking every day. I'm sure it helped with the loss but it helped even more with my mind set about the whole thing. It kept, and keeps, me focused on my health and improved my overall mood enough to make it easier to avoid the carbs. When I'm "in a mood" I crave carbs, exercise helps decrease the moods.
    I've also seen some of the research about it being a bigger factor in maintenance. Almost 4 years and counting here so something is working.
  • Melanie - since you are homeschooling the boys, what are you doing to incorporate physical fitness (PE Requirements) into their day? They may already be active doing organized sports and things, but I wonder if you could make a daily "nature" walk or something part of their classroom time? It's so easy to put your kids needs in front of your own (been there!), so maybe a way around it is to make it something for them as well. Especially this time of year, it could be a science/ecology lesson. It might not be what you think of as traditional exercise, but anything that gets you moving will help!
    When I saw that you had to get up early to prep lunch, I thought "Ugh - that poor thing won't ever have the time" - but then when I saw the homeschooling part, the other thought came to me! How old are your boys?
  • I haven't exercised at all while on the plan really (since July). Truth be told, I gain when I do exercise as I become hungrier. However, that being said, I've hit a stall for the past month or two and will be working exercise in.

I started to add little things in, like walking up escalators and "speed" (for me) walking to and from work to the metro. These little things help but now my body is telling me to step it up, and I have to listen.
  • Cat- if you are looking for a training program, personal running trainer.com is great. I used them to train for a 5k. The training builds as weeks pass, I believe it is an 8 week program. They start at 1 mile and go to marathon training. You can download them from Amazon, ITunes and other sites too. Great idea too for Melanie.

Melanie, I commend you for homeschooling. I can only imagine how difficult it must be having a spouse in the military. It's great your children have consistency with their education. I can relate to your gym phobia. I have always been clumsy and not much of an athlete. The more I forced myself to go the anxiety lessened and so did my self consciousness. I would try to remind myself the person on the treadmill next to me may have been overweight at times or struggled internally too. Do you have time after the house is quiet? Maybe start with a yoga DVD, something calming after a very busy day. I prefer working out on my own, but still need to be pushed at times too
  • Thanks for the input ladies I never thought of making it part of their day too, great idea! I will check out that website also. My boys are 2 and 6. I also have a 14 year old but he attends public school (long story short, we tried, it didn't work. plus he is my stepson so his lovely mother has to agree to it lol)
  • Sandy, I hope you are happy with your spin bike. I purchased mine two years ago and absolutely love it. We even bought one used on Craigslist for work. Good luck.