About my new job

• Well, I met with my new boss today to go over what my job will be more precisely. She was interviewing people and hiring based on what strengths we brought to the table. She was then going to tailor the job to those strengths.

I was her first hire (I would like to think her most desired hire?) of the three part-timers. She wants me to write a blog about being new to the area and discovering the city's association (we're a planned community and everyone has to pay into the community association which takes care of paths, public spaces, pools, 3 gyms, a teen center and on and on and on).

So, it was my baking blog (which I'm just beginning to get back up and going again), my weight loss blog (which I've been writing for 16 months every single day save a few days) and my blog I do for the Sunday School I'm director of that got me my job. That, and a talk a did a few years ago about building community. My "volunteer" fun stuff led to a job. How sweet is that?

I'll be working from home, meeting people throughout the association and taking pictures. What a sweet part time job! I'm so excited! Who says hobbies can't turn into paid jobs?
  • Wow, that's amazing for you. Congrats. It's interesting I read this thread when I'm a new graduate in a few days and job seeker. This made me smile and gave me job seeking confidence haha. I hope you definately enjoy your new job .
  • wow, congratulations!! doing something you love and getting paid for it. love it!
  • Congratulations! I'm jealous...I would love to have a job I loved and was passionate about.
  • re:
    That's pretty cool. Where did she hear about your blogs? Did you use them in your application? If so, kudos to you - so many people don't do that.

• That's wonderful! You'll be doing something you really enjoy and get paid for it. Will you be writing every day? That's why it's a good idea to write down your hobbies and interests in a job application, you never know what catches their eye.
  • I had on my resume I blogged and did public speaking under "Interests/Hobbies". She then asked for links to my blogs and a sample of my writing/public speaking.

Of course, my other work helped, made me look like a well rounded candidate AND this is just a part-time temporary job, so their list of "requirements" wasn't as demanding as for a full-time professional job. But, I hope this helps me get my foot in the door so that soon I can be working full-time somewhere. Helps that I now have two parttime positions. along with the statement, "getting back to the workforce after being a stay at home mom for several years" in cover letters. It explains my absence from the work force.