Strained ACL?

• I hurt my knee pretty badly a few weeks ago - according to a doctor and a chiropractor, I've apparently strained my ACL.
    I'd been doing so well with exercising, I was working out 5-6 days a week and feeling great. I'd started Couch to 5k and was loving it. Since I hurt my knee, I've barely worked out because it either hurts too much, or I'm terrified I'm going to hurt it more. Every time I feel like it's better, something happens to remind me that it's really NOT. This morning I was jogging (barely) through a snow storm to get to my car, and all of a sudden I got horrible pains in my knee (I didn't twist it or anything!) and almost fell because of it. And it's been sore and a little swollen all day now.
    I was supposed to do a team marathon in June but now I think I'll have to back out of it, which really sucks because I wanted to do it so badly.
    Anyway, enough rambling. Has anyone out there strained their ACL before and have any tips on how to "fix" it? I went to the chiropractor and he did some stuff, but it didn't help much, so I'm not really sure how I feel about going back...I've been doing some stretches he showed me, and they felt like they were helping, but then it seems if I move it even slightly in the wrong direction, it sets me way back in my recovery. I've been walking, because it's the only cardio I can handle right now, but my knee is always sore for hours after.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I just really want to get back on the treadmill and start running again.
  • Well, I thought I had a strained knee several years ago after a fall. I kept going back to the ortho because it would give out on me and I'd fall down - he kept telling me "the joint is stable" and blowing me off. After 8-9 months I insisted on an MRI - turned out I had tore my ACL.

You can try ice, rest, and strengthening exercises. Ask the chiro for quad and hamstring strengthening exercises. If you're still having issues in another month or so, you may want an MRI, too.

Good luck - knee pain sucks.
  • I have an attenuated/sprained ACL and a crappy doctor. I actually sprained it in physical therapy while doing squats. Definitely causing some issues and I have yet to find a comfortable and effective brace... being obese and finding braces really sucks. I basically just rest/ice it. It has been sprained for months and has effected my ability to swim (can't walk or run for exercise because of a foot issue). I would reccomend getting an MRI (they didn't even know what was wrong until the MRI results). Rest/ice and physical therapy if you can go.
  • Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm going to see my doctor in a couple weeks, I'm definitely going to bring up the idea of an MRI.