New Here!

• Hi Everyone!
    I'm a newbie lifter... I've been regularly attending the gym for a good 10ish or so weeks now. Before I began I was completely intent on becoming a runner so that I could potentially be one of those girls I see running on the side of the road. And slowly, with research (and the new-found fact that I hate running), I've realized that weight-training is by-far the better option. I've started lifting heavier things and using free-weights instead of machines. I stopped being scared to lift big weights. I've learned that squats are deadly and the "man" part of the gym is nothing to fear. I've lost more weight this week than I have since I began working out - and I LOVE the exercise.

It's definitely hard trying to stamp out the stigma that girls shouldn't be working that hard and that we'll bulk up by lifting bigger weights. I made the switch from a 10 to 20 pound weight for my one arm dumbbell row because it was a better fit. I was excited (hey.. I'm a beginner!) and told my family. They immediately began to yell and said that I should've used a 15 pound for a few weeks before upping it to 20. Jokes on them. Next time I'll be using a 25! (maybe...)

Tomorrow I start with a personal trainer and am hoping she'll show me the proper form to complete a deadlift. So, hopefully I'll be here to stay! I can't wait to be one of those girls that needs to bring her weight-lifting gloves to the gym!
  • Wow. Good for you!

Can you tell me what was it that got you to the "other side"?

I manage a gym and I'm always interested in ways to get people to get over it. And just do what you so proudly did.
  • I came to it after researching different exercises online. I've never wanted to be skinny for the point of being skinny - it was always because I wanted to be healthier and stronger. I was pretty much swayed to begin the strength training and then I came upon this article (I hope it is allowed to paste this)

nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

and it solidified that opinion. I'm not sold on the Paleo diet (I worry over anything that restricts carbs) but her training is definitely inspirational.