Body image issues

• I have lost around 20 pounds and I am wearing clothes I could not fit into before, but in spite of that I cannot yet pluck up enough courage to go for a walk in places where people would see me wearing jeans or tights. I see other people don't care about this, so I wonder if staying indoors and limiting my social life to working and going out with friends may be getting int a social fobia. I am scared of what others may think when they see me, and at the same time I know my appearence is not out of the ordinary. My weight is within a "normal" range now, but still, I feel scared. Do you think this could be a question of body image --not having realized yet that I look better-- or a relational problem --being afraid of meeting people?
  • Do you have access to a counselor? I think talking to someone about your fears would really help you.
    Wear what you feel comfortable and good in, even if it is not skinny tight jeans. But don't let your fears of what others may think hold you back from enjoying your life.
  • I think you might be leaning more towards a social phobia than body image issues. You don't weigh very much, are in a normal range, yet you feel worried about what others think of your body. (Most of the time, people are so self-centered that they don't have the energy nor inclination to notice others!). But regardless, I agree, it's probably time to ask a doctor or counsellor about this. GL.
  • Thanks for your answers! I went for a walk yesterday and saw lots of people who did not mind how they looked and what others looked like. I also noticed I am afraid of being seen in casual clothes, not so much of the shape of my body. It's as if I found it hard to acknowledge there is a life outside work, and to let people in that other, silenced part of my life.
    Thanks a lot for your advice, guys. I'll follow it!