Diabetes Chat for April

You're on Page 8 of 14
Go to
  • Hello friends!

fbs up a little at 90 this morning. I had a restless night. I am still a little sore but I did 70 minutes of walkitout this morning.

I am still interested in the discussions about carb levels. Early after my diagnosis, I desperately tried to limit carbs as low as possible. I found myself with fasting levels in the low 120's to 130's. when my doctor explained how the liver would dump in the middle of the night, I finally accepted the challenge to find the appropriate levels. My fbs is rarely above 85. I typically test before each meal and before bed, always 75 - 85. Everyone has to find their own body's strengths here. It would be so nice if there was rules: "eat this and you will have low sugars for life". But alas....

Mad, plateau's are really frustrating. I have started to believe that my body just wants to protect me and is fighting. Sooner or later, I will win the war, right? My pain is in my upper left side and chest. I think it might be an inflamation of the ribs? I seem to get some relief from ibuprofen and it is improving. I guess if it was serious, it wouldn't have gone on so long...

Georgia, good numbers and good luck with the coffee. I wasn't aware that black coffee can raise bs or bp too much. I'm not sure that I want to give it up!

Trish, hope you have knocked that cold in the dust!

Carol, I saw that show and it is good. I am sometimes concerned because the "organic" produce thing is kind of a red hering - if you ask me. I eat local food and grow what I can, but I would rather eat an apple every day than scrimp on fruits and veggies so I can grow "organic". Of course, I grew up as a farmer so my view is different....

Ruth, here's to you doing well with your busy week! I would like to hear more about the maple festival. What is it?

Off to work. Have a great day!

Rie
  • Well, my numbers have been going all over the place. I was 123 FBS yesterday and 95 before dinner. Went up to 159 before bed. Was 120 this AM.

We'll see how I do today with some homemade deviled ham, 1 sl whole wheat bread and an artichoke for lunch. It will be a piece of chicken thigh and some wonderful kale from the farmer's market for dinner tonight.

We try and menu plan around dinner since that is the 1 meal we share. I think I really need to spend some time and plan my lunches as well. As it is, I usually bring some leftovers but except for the deviled ham, we haven't had any.

Here's to a fast and not to complicated work week for all of us.
  • Hi, is it okay if I join in? I already know a few of the posters here.

I am considered pre-diabetic but hadn't been taking it very seriously, until my husband, Neal, was recently diagnosed with the same thing. Now that his health is on the line, I've made changes in what, and how, I cook, and I feel in a better place, mentally, to get my blood sugar under control. I don't know if it's because it's easier to do the right thing with a partner, or what, but this seems easier now. He gets plenty of exercise, and although I am limited in mobility, I'm still trying to move more.

Having a place to check in would be nice.
  • Welcome Jane, very happy to have you join us.
    Rie: what eating plan are you doing? Maybe a change would help. I was doing atkins, and sugars were good, but after the initial weight loss, I couln't budge it. I got tired of the restrictive plan when I wasn't getting the reward of weight loss. So I have switched to ww. I am keeping to lower carb options, eating lots of veggies. The starches I eat, I am keeping "smart", whole grains if I eat grains, small servings, low glycemic choices whenever possible. Its really just a fancy way of calorie counting, and I am also higher fat than many others, (yes, I count the points!) but it is working for me. SO I hope you can find a way out of your plateau too. BUT first, you have to start feeling better. Do get some help if needed for your sore side!
    Off call, in office week for me, so I got to yoga after work today. Making plans for the rest of the week too. Walking or yoga every day if I can.
    Mare, keep up with the meds and clean eating and the numbers will get better with time, take heart.
    Trish: thats great that you have dropped that water weight. Hope the weigh in goes well. I seem to be stable this week, no new losses. BUt I will take that for now.

Have a happy Monday!
  • Jane - to the group. You have been on my mind so much lately and kept thinking things would slow down so I could call you. Please feel free to jump right in and ask any questions you have. This is a great support group. So sorry to hear that you and Neal are pre-diabetic, but it is very possible to get the blood sugar under control and I agree that doing it with a partner helps. Tony and I have both been diagnosed with diabetes and although my fasting blood sugar goes all oveer the place, the last few times we've been in for 3 month stick, our sugar levels are good. Our doctor is pleased with where we are. Just don't let it scare you. Y'all will do fine.
  • Good Morning Chickies

I was awake around 3 this morning and never did go back to sleep. DSIL is working today so had to get up any way to take care of the baby today. He worked yesterday as well, so hope he will be able to work most of the week any way. I really like the structure of my day when he works and I think Jaxxon enjoys it as well. I have on a good schedule during the week. He will be 2 yrs old tomorrow and is beginning to learn so much.

DH is doing so much better now. He told me when he came to bed this morning not to cook until after he mows the lawn. Last night he talked to me about how he needs to start doing more things now that he is feeling better. We all knew he was better, but I think he was wondering how long it would last. I feel like I got my husband back and I'm so thankful.

Hope everyone is doing good this morning and y'all have a great day.
  • GM E1

I must have had sweet dreams last night. My reading after dinner last night was 96 and FBS this AM was 108.

My boss is having some corrective surgery on his cornea transplant this morning so I get to work from home. My slippers are so comfy and I will manage to get a mani/pedi this afternoon as well as a long overdue haircut. This work will be a couple of hours today and again tomorrow. I'm researching what we may have to do in the future if our application for a grant from the DOE is approved in a few months.

You know what? I'm beginning to be convinced that my body really loves greens because my reading went down after dinner. It was 120 yesterday morning and 104 before dinner then dropped to 96 afterwards. I had commented on that before. Now I'm really starting to think that it is working. Well, at least for the present.

Jane, it IS much easier with a partner. For years I complained that boobalah was nonsupportive. He got embarrassed when we were at a family gathering and someone asked me about my weight loss and I commented that I didn't get support at home. He justified his behavior by saying I'd become a picky eater. They laughed at him because everyone of them were doing the same new eating plan between themselves and BOTH of the couples were losing weight. He was the only one not losing. Oh, my picky eating? I cut way back on fat and told him I was no longer going to be eating all the carbs and crap just to keep his little boy reactions at bay. It was only for my life. I was pre-diabetic then but I got tired of his tantrums and gave in. Now I regret it and he can see what has happened.

He is now working at changing his eating habits. I wish you well and Neal well.
  • Hi darling Jane! Didn't realize you and The Neal were sugar babies too. You'll do well - gotta watch the watermelon though.

Bless me, sisters, for I have sinned. I was in town to get my new car this morning and ended up at the Chinese Buffet with the salesman. He paid but it was my suggestion. However, I did confine myself to a single pass at the buffet and worked hard at choosing veggies and non-sugary sauces. We'll see what tomorrow brings but I am expecting a water weight gain.

It's nice to see so many folks posting.
  • Ruthie - Bless your heart. I can only say that I wish I had been with you. I love chinese food. Hope you get surprise with the scale tomorrow.
  • Thank you for the nice welcome.

Trish - I'm glad you and Tony have good sugar levels now, and even more happy that he's feeling so much better. Call anytime. It's been a long while since we had a good chat.

cbmare - thank you for the well-wishes. Kudos for you - doing what's right for your own body and life. I'm glad your "boobalah" is changing his habits, too.

Ruth - hi, sweetie! I've been pre-diabetic for a several months, but have had my head in the sand about it. Then Neal was recently diagnosed, too, so it seemed time to hit the problem head-on. A big YAY for the new car! If you do show some water weight, it will flush out soon.

I spent the day out of town shopping with my daughters, and was very proud of my healthy choice for lunch. I had grilled chicken on a green salad and went light-handed with the dressing.

One of my biggest challenges is going to be our family dinners. Everyone is on board with healthy eating options, and I intend to revamp some of the old family favorites.

Have a good Wednesday, and again, thanks for the kind welcome.
  • quick fly by, fbs 4.9 today, but am a pound up from this time last week. According to my tracker, I have as many activity points as weekly flex points. I didn't use all the flex points either. I may have undercounted points, or have been retaining water, not sure which. But its weigh in tonight. Will see how THAT goes. will be at yoga again before the ww meeting, that will be 4 days in a row!
  • A quick hello....

fbs at 81 this morning. I am feeling a little better. I did a post yesterday but I must have pushed the wrong button because it isn't here.

Mad, I have approached this without a specific type of plan - just made changes in my eating and activity. I have been absolutely committed to only implementing changes that I will maintain over time. I track calories, basic macros and carbs. I think I have just reached a maintenance level and this is going to take even more activity and a lot of time. My dr says, "it took a year to lose the first 80 and it will take another year to lose the next 20". That is probably reasonable. On a positive note, I certainly can maintain my weight and don't really need to worry about gaining it back.

Jane, I am so glad to see you here! I know you from the Golden Girls. Jump right in - there is great advice here.

Trish, how was your day yesterday with the little guy?

Mare, I think your blood sugars are certainly improving. It takes time for them to settle in with lots of consistently. The numbers you quoted are certainly heading in the right direction.... Hang in there.

Ruth, I spent some time yesterday talking about my love of chinese buffets. Lord, I miss them a lot. I hope you enjoyed and the scale doesn't get too bad. Lots of water, dear.

Well, off to work early today. Sorry for missing anyone.

Rie
  • A quick flyby. DSIL is off today and I'm going to run to Wally World and walk around. Need to get some more Theraflu. I'm fine during the day and then last night my throat was sore. Better this morning. It's more down in the neck rather than in my tonsils so I'm thinking it is irritated from all the coughing.

Rie - I really enjoyed being with the little one. In fact, the girls especially the younger one has been hanging out with her DGD and me a lot watching movies with DH and me. We did that with her when she was little.

Well, I was so excited that I had lost back down to 227 this morning, however, when I went to post it on the ticker, I find I've actually gained 4 lbs this week. I assume a lot of it has been the meds and eating helter skelterly. I think I may have to do some really strict low carbing to get myself straightened out. I had gained to over 230 lbs with the Nyquil, but didn't realize I had gained almost 10 lbs. So while I'm grateful for losing some of the weight, I see I have to get serious and be more diligent. I'm going to try to go all day without eating since a very carby birthday dinner of pizza is planned for DGD and DGS.

BBL
  • I wimped out and did not get on the scale this morning but BGL was in my normal range. Did go to the gym which was harder today for some reason - maybe water weight? I have a Greek salad planned for lunch which is not a great choice because of the salt in the feta and olives. Oh well - we do our best and getting in my veggies and protein is more important than fretting about salt. I need to drink more water though. I sure don't get 64 oz. which I know helps knock off the water weight. (BP was an excellent 109/68 after my workout this morning so the med change has balanced that out.)

Bake sale cooking marathon is going to begin this afternoon. SF gum and surgical gloves are waiting for me!
  • Well! My reading before supper was 84. It was 123 afterward. This morning my FBS was 118.

I know I'm not going to do my errands this AM. My water pill is working overtime and I hate using the restrooms in many of the stores.

I'm on my own for supper tonight because boobalah has a class.

I've got to watch my calorie intake. I was doing my Fitday the other day and thought that I was around 1200. No wonder I was tired. I had between 800 & 900 cals. I don't care if I'm over or below 1200 if it is within 100 or so cals. 300 - 400 is a no no in my book. Funny though. My numbers weren't down.

I recently went to HomeTown Buffet. I was so disappointed. Seems the only real choices for veggies is the salad bar. I asked why they don't have more veggies instead of carbs in the hot food line. That guy actually had the nerve to try and tell me that mac and cheese were a veggie combo. OK. News to me. I grow some of our veggies and herbs. I have to look for that macaroni tree or is it a plant like a tomato? Cows eat a vegetarian diet and I know many vegetarians eat cheese so I guess you can count it that way. LOL.

Ruth, I wish we had a Chinese buffet around here. However, like you, the sauces would be the problem.

Trish, feel better. You seem to be improving. I keep losing and finding the same 2 lbs. I lost them again this morning. We'll see if I can permanently lose them by the end of this week.

Well, off to greet the day and do some laundry this AM.