Diabetes Chat for April

You're on Page 14 of 14
Go to
  • Quote: Trish, I use livestrong.com for my tracker. It is called "myplate". It is a free site and I find it to be really user friendly.
    Thanks for sharing this with me, Rie. I switched over to livestrong and using myplate as it already has many of the brands that I use and even some of the store brands that I use were compatible with other store brands. Just makes it easier. It doesn't let me set goals like Fitday unless I pay to join, but it still will chart the weight loss and I like the way it shows the # of cals it takes to maintain my weight so I know I don't want to go that high and know where I want to stop. Kind of mind thing with me that will help me to track better. Also had some good info. Had an article about Intermittent Fasting that I found to be interesting and helpful.
  • Fatmad said:
    Quote:
    HI friends, sorry to be MIA so much lately. I am really off track, after being really good for so long. I have been overeating, and overcarbing a lot lately, not tracking properly and not exercising properly.
    and took the words right out of my mouth. yesterday I ate three, yes THREE, avocados as a "snack" and was shocked when I finally checked the calories and fat on Firday. This month has been a disaster but May will be better.

For the record, FBGL was 5.2 and weight was 180.4, up over two pounds from my 178.0 April 1. Time fro a serious self-talk and maybe a slap upside the head!
  • hello friends!

fbs at 91 this morning. I ate a good breakfast of fiber cereal and an apple. I didn't work out because I have really achy joints today. Bummer. Last night my ds cooked lobster tails for an early mothers day present for me. Yum. Yes, I ate mine with butter. I consoled myself with the idea that it was carb free.

I have a busy week ahead. I am hoping for the strength to manage myself and my life in a healthy manner.

Mad, nice to see you back. I know that you will get back on track. Do you know what happened? Maybe just stress? The wedding is soon, right?

Ruth, I have been in denial about the weight ticking upward. Obviously, "temporary" weight gain doesn't stay for long.

Trish, glad that you like livestrong. I also use the recipe tracker to put in my own combinations. It is really easy to use. Sorry that you are having metformin trouble. Perhaps another med, like Januvia? Even if your weight is up, maybe you should consider keeping the appointment.

Hi Jane! I have a friend who uses loseit. Without a smart phone, it isn't as user friendly, just my opinion.

Well, off to face the day!

Rie

• Hello all,

fatmad and Ruth - May will be better for you both!

Trish - you are on the right track again, and that's half the battle.

Rie - I think you are so right the Lose It wouldn't be as user friendly w/o a smartphone. How nice of your ds to cook for you!

Busy week ahead for me. The temps are up and the sky is blue, so I hope to get outside for a while later.

Have a good day.
  • Good Morning Chickies,

Ruthie - It appears that all or a lot of us had problems with April gains. Not sure what my problem was, but I know I can't let things continue as it was. So it's time to make some assessments, pull myself up by my bootstrings so to speak and make/commit to some changes. Livingstrong.com is going to be a big help with this.

The article on IF on livingstrong really gave me some new insights. There are many different ways to do IF. I can choose to do the eating window of 8 hrs and fast for 16 hrs although I read that women should eat 10 hrs fro some reason. I would love to stop eating before 8 pm, but I know I'll go a little longer so will make my cut off around 8:30. This means I can start eating as early as 10:30 in the morning. However, most days I will not start eating until 11:30 or 12:30. This gives more flexibility and will fit into days when things/days are going weird. I also read somewhere to find the amount of calories you would need to eat to be at the weight you want to be and make that the #of calories to eat everyday. I have often wondered if that would work. So I'm going to do that. It just makes sense to me to get used to eating a certain amount of calories each day and when you get to your goal weight you won't be tempted to get off plan because it will have become just part of your lifestyle because it will never feel like a "diet". I don't have time for formal exercise at a gym however I can incorporate exercise throughout my day. According to the articles I read, this way of eating also lowers our stress level and God knows I need that as well as bs and bp. So this is my own "personal" plan.

Rie - I decide to hit the "myplateD" and it is for diabetics and you can even keep up with your FBS readings on there. I did find out how to set my own calorie settings and goal weight. I guess it just takes time to learn it. I really do enjoy using it. Only thing I haven't figured out is how to edit when I put in the wrong time of day or delete something I put into tracking. I'm sure there is a FQ I'll have to look into.

All of you guys who are MIA, please check in. If your having problems... this is the place to be. We want to hear from you.

Busy day today. DD & her hubby are here today, But I got up early anyway and made my tea and put in a load of laundry this morning. I need to get a routine into my life again. So Jaxx and I are sitting here with him watching BabyFirst while I do my thing. DH has docs appt with a skin doc. Our doc couldn't tell if a mole was okay or not so we are checking it out. Then we go across the street to reg doc office for his blood thinner check. I have to remember not to feed him any broccoli the day before he goes for it as it throws the reading off. DD said that he needs to eat broccoli on the same day each week and that won't happen. So great to have him feeling good again.

Y'all have a Marvelous Monday.
  • Hi Jane,

Guess I was writing when you were. Yes, I think things are beginning to click for me. I have a Smartphone and unlimited texting. I hadn't thought about keeping in touch that way till now. I am having a real problem learning how to use it yet. DSIL set up my Google acct and I can't remember what he put in. I would love to use the scanning thing, but I'm afraid I'm not there yet with this thing, my smartphone is smarter than me.

I enjoyed pics of Jackson's BD on FB. We are having beautiful weather too and Jaxxon and I are at the place that we can get out of the house and go places just the 2 of us. He loves the outdoor and loves getting out.

You have a great day & week.
  • Hi everyone!

Hope all are doing well today. Thought I would pop in on the last day of this thread to check in. No fbs to report as I have forgotten to check it this morning. The two prior mornings it has been in the 170s and I have caught the midday readings in the 200s. Sigh.

As a follow up to my post about hubby's reaction to my weight drop, he and I are both now a bit concerned and I am going to be monitoring my weight closely. The next day was 244, then 243 and then 241 the past two mornings. Earlier that week I had been holding steady in the lower 250s so this is a substantial drop and I can't point to anything I have done that much different that would account for 10lbs in a week's time.

Because my blood sugar is still not controlled and spikes so much I have a feeling that the weightloss is tied into that, which isn't good. The other thing I guess would be the diabetes meds but why all the sudden did I drop?

I think I am developing diabetic neuropathy in my left foot (the leg that swells so much and stays mottled looking). It keeps feel like someone is holding a fire to the top of that foot where it joins onto the ankle. It isn't constant, it comes and goes for varying lengths of duration but very painful. I've peripheral neuropathy for several years now and take gabapentin for it (generic of Neurontin). I upped it a little and it seems that the foot pain is much calmer so I will need to have a discussion with my doc about that.

I will be making my Olive Garden style Pasta e Fagoli this week (probably tomorrow) and cannot wait. My blood sugar responds so well to this soup and it tastes so fantastic. If any of you try it (Jane, Georgia and anyone else) I would love to hear what you and yours thought of it.

I got to spend some time with my son, DIL and 15 m/o grandson Saturday and had a wonderful time. He is growing up so fast and has a great personality so he had me laughing at his baby antics the whole time.

Anyway, that is all that is going on here. Look forward to any more updates.

See you next month!
    Kellye
  • Kellye, I think I have read that beans and lentils (pulses?) are really good for blood sugars for some people. They are really healthy in general, and since you love the soup, its a great way to get them in for you. Hope the foot gets better soon, are you also taking B12 and b complex supplements for it? (if they don't interfere with your gabapentin?)
    I had an on plan day, good breakfast with greek yogurt and fibre 1 and fruit, then DD veggie chili with turkey meatballs in it for me!
    I got to yoga after work today, and am cooking supper as we speak, It is pizza, (11 points!) but I have the points and I also made a large salad to enjoy with it to make sure I fill up on the veggies.
    Rie, I suspect that the deliveries I attended last week affected me. I had a couple of all nighters, and have been having some insomnia and difficulty getting to sleep since, so I expect that is it. WOuld like to be back to ticker for weigh in on Wednesday.
    SO RUTH, lets get back on track together. The salad stuff at the store is getting to be better quality and doesn't travel as far to get here now. Stock up and munch!
    Big hellos to everyone, not enough time for all the personals, but will check in more this week so will get to you eventually!
  • Here's the link to the May Thread. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...ml#post4315284