Steel Magnolias #10

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Good morning, ladies! 53 degrees and rain today.

Tonight is First Thursday Bee but I'm going to skip it and go to church services instead.

Jean, leeks are rather expensive where I live so I usually end up substituting a Vidallia onion instead. That was a ton of coins to count! Did you have to wrap them before going to the bank? I sometimes think its a rip off that getting my teeth cleaned costs me more than my well women physical at the docs office. Do you remember way back when there weren't hygenists and the dentist did the actual cleaning?

Maggie, I just read the US is now the fattest nation in the world. The Asian countries as the leanest. Maybe we should eat like they do. I love the smell of lilacs and hyacinths in the spring. The Daffodil Festival was March 24. They are all gone now. My rose bush is full of buds. I hope the chilly weather doesn't kill them. My next door neighbor brought me a basket of spring lettuces yesterday afternoon. She grows them in window boxes.

Faye, I hope you had a good time with your sister yesterday. We missed you.

Have a wonderful day!
  • Good morning gals. It is blackening up outside right now. We are supposed to get some rough thunderstorms today. Yesterday I never did get in here. We left home early and didn't get home until late. We did have a nice time with my sister yesterday then had a nice dinner with the two of them before they went back to their hotel. They headed out this morning to his mom's house in AR to visit for a week. One of his younger brother has been given about 2 months to live. He has been a heavy drinker for years, is only in his early 40's but his liver is shot. He is not sober so no chance of a liver transplant so he has been given a death sentence. His mom is not doing well either. She has pneumonia I guess so he wants to get some quality time in with both in case he never sees them again. I feel so sorry for their family because his family introduced me to Jack and they are like family to us.

Today, I am just going to get chores done. Tomorrow is application day for passports so have no idea how long that will take. I just moved everything to an empty folder and my filled out application wasn't in the cruise folder so I finish here, I have to go and do it all again, {{{SIGH}}}

Susan: I will just be glad when I am done with the meds, the body is healed and I can just go forward. We have about a 20 degree difference in temps today and it is much cooler than it has been. Of course, we just washed the car so it is going to rain on it all day!

Maggie: We don't go to all you can eat places except on very special occasions because it is way to hard to pack on lbs and not realize how much you have eaten. It is way too tempting.

Jean: Hope your day is doing well today. Jack thought you guys went to Maui and he said it was different than where we would go because of the military resort on Oahu.

It is short gals, but I really need to get things done. Have a great Thursday and rest of the week. Faye
  • Titilating Chilly Thursday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

This is a cloudy 60º day here in the ♥-land. The rain has stopped and is soaking in nicely. Not much happening around these parts this day. The animals are snoozing and soon Will will be leaving for the museum and I will be home alone once again. Before Will leaves for the museum he will go by Colonel Cluck and get me some lunch of a grilled breast lunch deal. Dinner is planned so that will be easy for sure. I am going to finish up a building this day and then get started on another. I am not sure what I will be making next.

DONNA FAYE It is nice that you got to have some good times with your sister before they left. Sounds like you are getting around much better now. You are right those types of eating places are tempting. However, the last couple of times we went there I was able to stay OP by making good choices. I wouldn't go there when I am feeling "weak" and unable to cope. I mainly only eat a roasted meat portion and lots of green salad. Never any dessert or the oey-goey good looking dishes and stay away from the buns. They always have a nice grilled tender steak which is a good choice of meat for me. Life is all about choices.

SUSAN I have always just substituted onions for the leeks because I always have onions on hand in a basket. Yes, I have heard that we are the fattest nation. The asian countries eat a lot of fish without all that nice crisp breading that we like over here. Also they use a lot of veggies in stir fry dishes. The recipes in my wok cookbook tend to have much lower points+ values than the ones in my other books. Your growing season started much earlier than ours has.

JEAN What are you up to this day?

Have a wonderful afternoon-evening Magnolias. Type a y'all later.
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, and it's a cool day in my neighborhood. I hope we haven't had our summer weather already. I made it to the grocery store this morning; forgot there was no school and think every elementary kid was there. I'll go to the other store tomorrow morning to pick up my meat and whatever I forgot today. We have church tonight; Bob is singing and the education director has created a last supper play every year, which she does every year.

I've been on the phone bonding with the computer store guy; my virus scan, that he just installed for me, came up with a warning that my trial time was up and the computer was in danger! It didn't like my user name nor password, which were both sent to me by the company! He tried to fix it and ended up with an email to the company. I have this red warning but he said to go ahead and use the computer because I was still in trial mode.

Maggie -- We could use some rain as the wind has really dried things up. I just hope it doesn't rain on Sunday as Beth is planning an egg hunt for the kids. I did get my teeth cleaned, and a new toothbrush. The bank dumps our change into a machine which won't take anything that is really dirty or slightly bent.

Susan -- My dentist cleans my teeth. I think her job is a hobby because she doesn't work on Fridays, has a very simple office set up and older equipment. She does have an assistant but think she trained her because she just holds the tools or makes notes. There are two tulip festivals in May, one north and one quite a ways south of us; both are afraid there won't be any tulips left. Our nights have cooled way down into the lower 40s again. My furnace is still running off and on. I'm glad we don't have to roll our coins although we usually don't have a whole lot.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with your sister. It's sad about the health challenges of your adopted family. Good luck with your passport tomorrow! Maui still has the tourists but it is a much more relaxed atmosphere. Some day we would like to visit the island closest to Maui but can't think of the name right now.

I have laundry going so need to keep at it. The city is flushing water hydrants starting Sunday and through Monday. Guess they figure no one will wash clothes on Easter. We've been warned about rusty water so don't want to take a chance with my clothes.

Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy the rest of your day!
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a chilly 40 degrees in my neighborhood this morning. The sun is shining so it looks warmer than it is. I need to pick up the rest of my Easter dinner food and go to the library this morning before the crazy Friday crowd hits the streets.

I'm off after a lazy late start to my day. Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy your day and weekend!
  • Finally Friendly Friday
    GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a 53º day here in the ♥-Land fixin’ to get up to 64º ~ and that is fine with me. Not much doing different around here today. They are re-rocking the alley since they have finished planting new gas lines and filled in the trenches. Those men at work sure have the dogs up and down the alley barking. I got a surprise this morning. I sometimes toss towels in the tub that need to be washed (since we don’t use that bathtub) and when I pulled back the curtain to retrieve them so they could be washed today~ there was Cecil laying on them sound asleep. Now I have found another one of his hiding places. I use the shower in the bathroom off the bedroom and Will uses the one downstairs. Works for us. Cecil is now in the bedroom with the door shut for he scooted in there when I had the door open. He will let me know when he wants out. The dogs are outside supervising the men at work. The Schwan’s man came today and Will bought some sausage patties and a Shepherd’s Pie. We really didn’t need much since we have lots of things in the freezers with which to make meals. When we move to Texas we will take the freezers and put them in that room that our friends are letting us have for whatever we don’t want to have in the motor-home. The lady wants to buy our Victorian oak dining table and chairs so we won’t be selling them at our mega yard sale when the time comes to pack up and leave. That will be awhile yet but she wanted to make sure she was the one that would be the new owner of that nice set. She will put it in the big house and at least we can visit it when we are living on their ranch in our motor-home. That table is large and has two very wide leaves to extend it so will seat a lot of folks. I will even throw in the large hand crochet table cloth I have for it when all the leaves are in it plus the one I have when the leaves are not in it. I certainly won’t have any use for them when living in a motor-home once again. I do know how to down-size. I have lots of “stuff” to sell and will maybe have some yard sales this summer to get started. It takes awhile to get rid of almost everything. It is hard to believe what we have gotten since we have lived here. I have things that I had in our last motor-home that I never used, while living in it, that will be sold this go-round. Lighten the load.

JEAN I hope you get done what you plan on doing this day. Your temperature there is a tad bit lower than ours is here.

Have a lovely weekend Magnolias
  • Good afternoon. It is cool here today, but it feels colder because it is really windy. We have been busy today again. Tomorrow it is stay at home weekend and get the darn house cleaned and the carpets cleaned. We have to wait a week to go to brunch with Kelly's family, but I took Thomas's Easter stuff over to the house and hung it on the door into the house from the garage.

We went to do our passports and they refused the photos from Walgreens. The lady was nice and said she would send it, but they would refuse it because the background was blue and on Jack's photo there was a blue line on the top of the picture. They are super picky for passports I guess. So we paid to have the post office retake our pictures and it took a good half an hour to do all the processing stuff and have to send it off. They should be back in about 6 weeks. I just hope they don't lose my birth certificate. You have to send it with your paperwork and they mail it back. The total cost for the two of us was $300! I think that is totally ridiculous. I had kept the receipt from Walgreens and they gave us our money back and Jack showed the same guy that took the pics why they turned them down. He was very apologetic and nice about it with no problem.

This hormone medicine is sure messing with my gastro system. I told Jack I want to just hand on for a couple months and get the round taken then get back to normal. I end up with a sick stomach and diahhrea for at least half the day. On top of that it causes chills then hot flashes. It is crazy.

Maggie: I used to find Butterscotch in the weirdest places too. So, at least now you know where he goes when you can't find him! We went to a new restaurant here, Cheddars, for lunch since we were out running around and I had shepard's pie. Not gonna have that again. It was made with hamburger and packages frozen veggies and the "gravy" was runny. The "homemade" potatoes on top had to be instants and then they put onion strings on top and didn't cook them crisp and so they would stick in my throat and gag me. Jack had a monte cristo and said it was delicious. I got a side salad and it was good though and I am sure some of their other stuff is ok, but not the shepard's pie. The Irish would be horrified!

Jean: Is everyone coming to your house on Sunday? I would love to have a nice baked ham, but Kelly hates ham so when we do just have an Easter dinner we have to have something else. I hope everything goes well for you and your Easter with your family is nice.

I have to run to Joann's after dinner and get black buttons for the monkey hat eyes and fiberfil for the mouth. I want to finish the first one and take it next Sunday so they can all three try it on and I can adjust sizes for the other two. The hat fits me so I imagine it will fit them. It is a quick knit, but there are lots of parts to knit and sew on so it takes time.

You gals have a lovely, lovely weekend and enjoy Easter. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's promising to be a crappy day weatherwise. It's cloudy, "breezy" which will grow into 25 mph gusts this afternoon, and it's misting. Tomorrow is predicted to be windy but sunny. I'm really lazy this morning -- need to get started on my ham balls. I plan to fix all of the food today so I just have to bake after church tomorrow. Will fell in a hole and hurt his back at work, so Beth wasn't sure if he could stand to ride long enough to get here on Sunday. I'll send a "care" plate home with Beth if he doesn't come.

The library was closed yesterday so I braved WM for birthday gift wrap and a paperback book. It was crowded and the check out lines were long. You'd think they'd have all the check outs open on a holiday weekend, but not in this store. They did have 1 out of multiple express lanes open, and the people ahead of me could all count so I was in and out pretty quickly.

Maggie -- Ernie likes to sleep on top of a roaster box that sits up on a shelf in the basement. It's close to a window so I think he keeps track of the neighbor's yard from his perch. How soon are you thinking about a Texas move? I didn't realize you planned to downsize and move back into a motorhome.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry you had the hassle with the passport pictures but glad you got your money back from WG. The kids will be here tomorrow just for the day. Jason and Amanda will be at her parents' today, and they live about 45 minutes from us. The kids all think we should have ham balls for every holiday. I use a recipe from Bob's mom but don't think mine taste as good as hers did. I think I missed something -- why, or for whom, are you making monkey hats?

Susan -- I know you are WWing this morning.

I need to get moving and started on my food preparations. I hope you all have an enjoyable Easter weekend.
  • Simply Sunny Saturday
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a sunny windy 60º day here in the ♥-Land and of all things we have a frost warning for the night. I have had a very lazy day this Saturday. I got my new WW magazine today and have been going through it. Currently I am sipping a cold bottle of water which I put fiber in it along with a packet of lemon aide flavoring. It tastes so good today for some reason. Will is going to be grilling steaks on the Barbie this evening. He just brought in an old rifle he is going to clean up that is an old German word on a small metal medallion attached to it which is has engraved “Spandau” on it which is where they had a concentration camp where they put Jews to death during WWII. It has a bullet stuck in the barrel which he will take out and it can be displayed with the gun. The stock is broken but no one knows how it happened. The break is as dirty as the gun so it most likely happened back then also.

Gotta go for a bit for we are going out and about.

We just got back now from a nice long drive in the country. We took both of the dogs but Cecil didn’t want to go at all. He must of thought ~ “Oh no I'm not getting in that Jeep! I remember where that goes to the place that took my nails off then in a week left me there a couple days.” When Will bent down to pick him up he scooted around the yard and just sat looking at him. Lots of green fields growing alfalfa and such which is up quite nicely. The wind has died down somewhat so it won’t be bad when Will grills our steaks.

JEAN It will be longer than a year from now when we leave here but there is a lot to do between that time and now getting ready. It takes quite a while downsizing. Getting rid of "stuff" this time will be a bit different since we have that room in Texas to have some things and a barn to keep tools and such in. I will have to decide what I want to keep in the MH to not overload it. Will has made a request that I NOT get rid of that electric pressure smoker we have. There are a few other appliances I will want to keep also but many of others will be sold at yard sales starting this summer. I will have a lot of decisions to make for sure. I have a wonderful small wooden table I use in the kitchen that I will keep to put in that room with a couple of the chairs that go with it since the lady of the house wants to buy my victorian dining set which would actually be a bit much to put in that room. I will be happy that she has it. I will put a bookcase in there with my colllection of cookbooks. I will also put my glass works tools in there also with my work station. What is nice about that room is that it is huge and has a shower in the bathroom. Since most of Will's "stuff" will be out in the barn I can have my shop in that room. That is the plan, subject to change. OH poor Will falling into that hole! Riding wouldn't be the best for him now ~ my speaking from experience with a bad back. You just have to know I am going to ask for that "Ham Ball" recipe! Can I have it please? Yep, cats will be cats and do like to sleep around in wierd places. I can just picture Earnie surveying all that he supervises off that box out the window.

DONNA FAYE What a pain to have to have your pictures re-taken. I think they do want those pass port pictures to look as much like the people as possible and WG's didn't much look like the two of you. The price of passports has sure gone up ~ I remember when they were $25 each. YIKES ~ that Shepherds Pie you had sounds awful! The ones we get from Schwans are yummy. There was always someone in my family that didn't care for ham so my mother would also have a cut of nice roasted beef to serve. My immediate family all liked ham but not all of my relatives did.

Yack at y'all later. Have a lovely evening.
  • Happy Easter to all of you. It is gonna be a quiet day around here. Since Thomas is so much older now, I don't do egg hunts and stuff with him so we won't even see him until next Sunday. I took his Easter stuff over to him on Friday and dropped it off.

We are going to get the downstairs cleaned today I think and get the living room rug shampooed. We did the dining room yesterday. We have to move the furniture back in this morning when Jack gets back home.

Jean: You asked about the sock monkey hats. I am making them for Kelly, Tom and Thomas to wear when they hike Kilamanjaro in July. She wanted the silly things so they could stand on the mountain and have their pics taken in them for their Christmas photo card this year. I still haven't gotten to Joann's so will get over there on Tuesday after the dr's office I expect. I need to get one finished so I can give it to them next Sunday so I know if I have to make any adjustments for heads. It fits me so I imagine it will fit them all.

Maggie: We are going to have steaks for Easter dinner tonight with nice asparagus and baked potato I think. The government has real strict rules about pictures, size, backgrounds, what you can wear even. I am just glad it is all done and we should get them by the middle of May.

Well gals, Jack is back home and we haven't eaten breakfast yet so need to go. Talk to you tomorrow. Faye
  • Simply Sunny Sunday
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I hope this day is a day for ya'all. It is a mostly sunny 66º day in the ♥-Land this Sunday. We do have rain in the forecast for the week though which will be welcomed for sure. I sure hope the gas folks have our alley rocked before we get more rain though. They have used most of our pile of nice dirt to fill in some of the holes and it will surely be washed away in the rain if they don’t get those rocks on it first. They said they will replace that nice top soil we had for our garden but wanted to use ours because it was already on the alley side of our yard. We know they will replace it for they are the same folks that were nice enough last year to give it to us and delivered it there in the first place. We used about half of what they gave us last year in the garden. We will need more if we do any growing in pots this year. I am yawning and surely I had enough sleep last night. I had better sip some more of this sf ff latte that has espresso in it. We went out to eat today and split an order for when I have that Italian dish I always bring half home and now Will is cutting back it sure was enough for both of us. I think we will be doing more of that splitting a meal when we go out to eat from now on ~ especially since places are serving bigger portions of the entrees than before. I eat only about half a hamburger now, these days that I have been OP and have gotten older. There was another couple sitting near us that had ordered the same dish we had and both had the full order and ended taking half of it home. They too could have shared a meal if they had wanted to. Tomorrow I will crock pot that roast that is in the fridge. I’m thinking of making shredded beef out of it for burritos. Yep that is what I will do.

DONNA FAYE I love the fresh asparagus fixed the way you told me how you do it in the oven awhile back. It is so yummy done that way. Thanks for the "heads up" on that recipe. Please do post a picture with those folks wearing the sock monkey hats on that you are making for them. What a hoot.

Magnolias have a lovely rest of the day.
  • Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a long day and I'm tired! The weather was sunny, chilly, and breezy. We didn't get frost last night but the warning is on again for tonight. My ham meat wasn't as good this time -- I asked for smoked ham and the label just said ham so I'm wondering if that was the problem. I haven't decided whether to complain to the meat dept. manager or not. Will is still very sore so didn't come; I'm sure an hour in the car would seem like two if he couldn't get comfortable.

I did a quick read but can't remember what I read. I am heading off to bed. See you tomorrow!
  • Good morning everyone. Jack and I's weigh in was very sad today. Too much restaurant food this last week so no more eating out now that there is not company, holiday, etc. We do have the brunch this weekend, but other than that we are eating at home.

Jean: Oh, I am sorry your ham didn't turn out at well as usual. I have had that happen. Once in awhile when I do fix ham, I will get one that is dry almost like jerky when it is cooked. I quit buying the spiral sliced because I think they really dry out. Hope your family as a whole had an enjoyable day yesterday and the kids enjoyed their gifts. Jay sent me a picture of Jackson and Alicia posted a picture of him coloring eggs. He sure is growing.

Maggie: Hopefully they will get the back all done and replace your soil and such and then it will all be back to normal. Glad you had a nice day yesterday. We just hung out at home. I was having problems with that stupid medicine so didn't want to venture far from home. I told Jack that if I could be sure the other stuff like spotting and such wouldn't come back, I would quit taking it, but I am not going to stop it and go back so just hanging in there for a couple more months, but it can be brutal. It is robbing my skin of moisture too and I am fighting a battle to keep my skin from just flaking off. My lower legs are terrible even though I am moisterizing them a couple times a day and where my incision is, it is the same way and rashy looking so will have to tell the dr about it tomorrow when I go.

It is going to be warm for the next couple days, then cool for a day or two then hot the rest of the week. Looks like a bit of thunderstorms along the way, but that's what comes with spring I guess.

You all have a nice beginning to the week. I am off to get some breakfast then hit the bricks and get cleaning done. Faye
  • Marvelous Monday
    GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a nice 60 degree day here in the heartland and I am telling you that I am fine with a "maintain" that the scales showed at my weigh in. My system is taking a bit of a rest from dropping more pounds.

Not much going on here this day. The dogs have been taken to their groomer and will come home this afternoon smelling nice and looking spiffy in their fresh hair cuts. I have a roast in the crock-pot with a jar of home made salsa dumped all over it and it will surely make wonderful burritos for this evenings meal and some in the freezer. Will wants to go to Applebees for lunch so I will find a nice WW entree to satisfy me. I am so glad they have the WW ones on their menu for I have tried several of them and they have all been yummy.

DONNA FAYE I applaude your decision to eat in. If we can't count the points correctly for what we eat out then the pounds can add up without our knowing. One WW leader once said that when we figure the points from eating out then add 2 more points to the total. We can only do our best figuring out the correct points with using the tools available to us. I use my "Complete Food Companion" and the "Dining Out Companion" daily. In fact I keep a "Dining Out Companion" and a Points Calculator in the glove compartment of the Jeep. I use the tools available to know the proper points to the best of my knowledge. I also like to use that booklet called "Eat This, Not That" for making better choices of what to eat when out and about. That is miserable to be flaking for it itches also doesn't it. Hopefully you can get some help in that area when you see the doc. We got though this last holiday without eating any chocolate eggs. Not even just one little Cadburry chocolate kind. The workers are in the alley and the dogs aren't there to supervise them.

All you Magnolias out there have a wonderful afternoon.

We just got back from eating out and picking up our coffee. I had ordered shrimp over some steamed veggies and rice and it was totally delicious all for 8 P+ which I will charge myself 10 P+ to be on the "safe side." I will have that again for sure.
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! Well, this is my second post for the day as my first one went into never, never land! It's a sunny windy day in my corner of the world; furnace is humming along right now. The weatherman says it is going to rain the last 4 days of the week. I spent an intersting morning at church. I was the first one there, then the other gal who counts came -- no secretary, no custodian, and no program director. So we counted, balanced, and I used the secretary's computer to post since it is right by the phone. The pastor finally came in and said, "I thought the office was closed today!" Well, duh, it said as much on the weekly calendar printed in yesterdays bulletin . . . but guess who didn't look at the calendar?! I stopped by the gift shop on my way home, and have that deposit ready to go tomorrow. I have to go into the main bank, rather than the drive through, since I need to order checks. I should vacuum but think that will be on my tomorrow "to do" list.

"Gma" -- Now I do remember you talking about Kelly wanting a picture for their Christmas card, and spaced off the monkey hat part. That will be cute! You will have the weight gain off in no time! It's always hard when eating out and a holiday thrown in the mix. I still haven't called the meat manager but think I will. I was really, really disappointed in the meat this time. The kids brought their bikes so Bob and Jason took them to the park where the bike path is. They always have fun together because they don't get together very often. My skin has been extra dry this winter . . . age related? We are supposed to be cooler and have rain the last few days of the week. We could use the rain.

Maggie -- I haven't fixed a roast in awhile -- sounds good! A maintain is A-OK in my book! We have too many "mom 'n pop" type eating places that the Dining Out Companion doesn't even come close to; I guess a lot and sometimes I'm way over while other times way under. We didn't have any Easter chocolate either. I try to remember that if I don't buy it, I can't eat it!

I have towels to fold and put away, then think I will go out and get the mail. Hope you all are enjoying a marvelous Monday!