The Maintainers Vol 5

You're on Page 4 of 35
Go to
  • I am in month 6 and checked in with my coach..first every two weeks..then once a month..now once every two months. On my last visit, I honestly felt that I do not need to check in any more . It did help me initially as I was freaked that I would gain the weight back.

Pixl. I agree with you about the packets and processed foods. You are trying to find healthy ways of eating without feeling guilty about it. You seem to be in control with your amounts ..So work on enjoying what you have decided to eat!

Momto2cs: I still find the low carb eating is what keeps me stable. I stay away from packaged foods..except for WF syrup. I am trying to add fats also..avocado and olive oil. the healthy ones.

Lee: Potty training is very stressful....hopefully it will end soon!
  • Malie - Congrats on hitting the 6 month mark of maintaining!! That's Awesome!
  • I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I guess this is the section where the most experienced people are.

Did anyone hit a bump in the road moving into phase 3?

I had been doing mainly phase 2 for 2 months. I have stayed the exact weight in all that time.
    But the minute I try to add the phase 3 breakfast I gain a pound a day. So after three days of that I went back to phase 1 for a week to get my 3 pound gain off.

I am super carb sensitive and wheat intolerant. I know I couldn't have wheat ever but had Ezekiel bread, low fat yogurt and fruit for the phase 3 breakfast.

So after a week on phase 1 I was back down to 129 again. I tried phase 3 breakfast again but this time with no bread. After 3 days I'm up again to 132.
    I know you regain a bit with phase 3 but I can't risk going on gaining a pound a day.
    Did anyone get through this transition period doing it a bit differently?
    What I really am concerned about is getting more fiber in. I was hoping I could add an apple a day but seems like too many carbs maybe.

I don't have a coach anymore I did the plan after the first month with alternative products.

Pat
  • Pat, I am not in Phase 3 yet but everything I've read indicates there is weight gain in the first week of Phase 3, followed by a loss. There are a couple of threads called Life after Phase 1-2 or something like that. I do understand your concern after being dedicated for so long. Hopefully the graduates can add more.
  • I never found a way to add many more carbs on a daily basis. They also made me gain.
    So instead I added in more fat, from butter, cheese, nuts and more meat.
    I have embraced a low carb diet as the healthy diet for me.
    In December I went in a whirlwind eating phase and gained 10 pounds in no time. They were hard to lose...
  • Quote: Malie - Congrats on hitting the 6 month mark of maintaining!! That's Awesome!
    Jellymae: Thanks for the support! I think I am doing this. I have stayed within a 3 pound range of my goal weight. Of course I have changed my goal weight 3 times to make it lower. I think I am stabalizing at 128.

You look absolute lovely. You have lost 122 pounds and look so thin!!!!!!!

I celebrated my 40th wedding anniversary yesterday. I was reflecting that my poor husband has put up with my weight going up and down for many years. I am really hoping that this time I will keep this weight off. I have been focused for 16 months. I plan to do it!!!!!!!!1
  • Patns- I read a very interesting study in regards to the eskimos. They live(d) on a completely ketogenic diet as berries/ carbs were not readily available to them. They could cross long distances in extreme cold and scientists were interested as to how they could expend such large amounts of energy without taking in any carbs. Turns out either fat or carbs can support our energy needs (or obviously a combo of both). I think this plays in pretty well with the blood type ('O' being for old- closest to the hunters who would have been primarily living off of protein/fat with extremely limited carbs). And too, to be considered a long term solution your fat intake needs to be quite high. The eskimos would eat only the fattiest cuts of meat and leave the lean for the dogs. As to your fiber needs- vegetables have plenty. Fruits wise berries and grapefruit are quite low carb. I do not envy you your troubles with the carb intake and I would definitely mourn the loss of fruit but after all the time you have spent getting to where you are I don't blame you for being cautious. Having a pound a day spike is huge. Have you tried every other day? And does oatmeal set you off as well? If you have time to exercise in the morning it could be beneficial in burning off the carbs... Good luck, I have my fingers crossed that you'll find your happy medium...
  • Quote: I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I guess this is the section where the most experienced people are.

I had been doing mainly phase 2 for 2 months. I have stayed the exact weight in all that time.
    But the minute I try to add the phase 3 breakfast I gain a pound a day. So after three days of that I went back to phase 1 for a week to get my 3 pound gain off.

I am super carb sensitive and wheat intolerant. I know I couldn't have wheat ever but had Ezekiel bread, low fat yogurt and fruit for the phase 3 breakfast.

So after a week on phase 1 I was back down to 129 again. I tried phase 3 breakfast again but this time with no bread. After 3 days I'm up again to 132.
    I know you regain a bit with phase 3 but I can't risk going on gaining a pound a day.
    What I really am concerned about is getting more fiber in. I was hoping I could add an apple a day but seems like too many carbs maybe.

I don't have a coach anymore I did the plan after the first month with alternative products.

Pat
    Good question...I can't remember if the introduction of grains was for nutrient reasons or just because people can't live without it. I haven't tried Eziekiel bread, though I have had their sprouted grain pasta and love it. Maybe there is an issue with the gluten for you? I just tried the Julian gluten-free, very low carb bread and I really like that too. Have also fallen in love with the fat-free unsweetened greek yogurts, with frozen berries usually. That way, I can 'spend' my fat on light butter for the bread or something else.

I'll make a note about the grains and ask my coach, though I won't see her for another week. I'll send her an email instead.

At least you know how to maintain where you're at now, which is a good thing...
  • [QUOTE=patns;4282660]I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I guess this is the section where the most experienced people are.

When I entered Phase 3 I decided to go below my goal weight by 3-5 pounds..because I did not want to go above my goal weight. So if you do not want to maintain a 129-132 range, you might consider going below so that when you go up, you will have a cushion. My weight fluctuates by 3 pounds.

I did not gain on Phase 3..but I ate extremely low carb..only berries for a fruit....only non fat greek yogurt..only 7-9 carb cereal or bread..one tablespoon of PB or 2 tblepoons nuts. My breads have some wheat, soy protein.

It must be extremely frustrating to see the scale go up each day. Cap's idea of every other day..might be something to try..or oatmeal.

Are you eating Phase 2 lunches and dinners..with low glycemic vegetables?
    Are you exercising?

My coach told me that normally people gain 3- 5 pounds on Phase 3.

Hope you find a solution and welcome to maintenance!
  • Cap: that was very interesting about the eskimos...especially eating the fattest part of the meat.

I would mourn the loss of fruit also. I so look forward to breakfasts.
    How was your free day this week?
  • I am spending some time on Phase 1. All the birthday parties last week and deviating too far from the plan have left my clothes feeling tight and my head feels disorganized. There is a calm with Phase 1. The sense that you are doing the right thing for your body and mind. It feels great to be proactive in resetting my habits. I had begun to stray too far from 3 meals and 1-2 snacks. And the further I get from good eating habits, the worse I feel mentally & physically. It sneaks up so slowly that it is almost imperceptible and then boom it hits that I am far from where I was and I need to start walking back .
    I have been reading tips from maintainers and it resonated with me that while I had been following quite closely to their recommendations I've been more lax lately. And it is time to be more vigilant again. I can't feel sorry for myself that I can't eat whatever I want because it will make me resentful & rebellious and I know where that road to self sabotage goes and I don't want to walk down it. I like my size sixes too much. And the confidence that comes with them. This is the most important part because it is what makes me feel empowered. As a stay at home mom I no longer receive praise for a job well done at work and that's okay because I know my children are benefitting but my sense of self is quite diminished and it has been wonderful to feel a sense of pride for having achieved the weight loss and maintenance.
    The one maintainer really opened my eyes when she said that when she hit maintenance she really only got to add in an extra couple hundred calories a day. She has been maintaining a 185 pound loss for 15 years. It has worked a bit differently having followed IP because the calorie intake was upped by over 500 calories a day but it is still quite a low calorie plan. And it's for life. I keep hoping with time my metabolic rate will improve a bit but I will always have to stay in control of the food (time, amount, kind) or it will control me and that equals misery.
    I am grateful that I have Phase 1. Not for the packets (though I don't mind them) but more for the mental reset. It is wonderful to be able to jump immediately on a couple of pounds rather than stand back and watch them come piling on until I finally hit the point that I go out searching for a new diet. I truly do want this to be my last diet.
    Anyway, I apologize for off loading so much information and going on a bit but this is where I'm at right now...
  • mom2cs & maile- do either of you eat or drink anything special pre/ post workout?
    Have to say I was incredibly excited as a couple days ago I noticed that my 'mommy apron' is not nearly so apronish and is moving on up and apparently has decided to become a part of the lower abdomen again. Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!
    Five years, but well worth the wait!!!!
  • A link to the weight maintenance tips...
    http://www.drted.com/Weight%20Maintenance%20Tips.htm
    Appears to be a mix of RD's & maintainers. Quite comprehensive and very interesting...
  • Quote: [B]mom2cs & maile[/B
    Five years, but well worth the wait!!!!
    Darn!!! Maybe 40 years was too long to wait???? My babies are 40 and 38.The apron is definitely still there. That was part of my issue with staying on phase 1 for much longer. I was continuing to lose on bus,t hips and waist but belly is still a big issue.

Anyway thank you all so much for your insights. It really helps to have other perspectives. Especially such well thought out ones. I tend to get in a "one size fits all" mindset when it comes to diet issues. I keep reading the 100% approach and then think if things aren't working for me as they are for the majority I must be doing something wrong.

I was actually thinking I needed to add everything as outlined in phase 3 or my metabolism would never be reset. But if I continued to follow the plan as outlined I know I would have regained 14 pounds at the end of two weeks so knew I needed to refocus.

So many of your comments really spoke to my situation.

I am 5'1". I had hoped to get to 125 to give me leeway and then phase off. But I went for months on phase one not budging below 129. So I decided I'd
    shake things up and go to phase 2. I did 2 months on phase 2 and still did not budge from 129.
    On phase 2 at lunch I have a very large green salad with grilled chicken breast or fish. At dinner I have either beef, pork or more chicken with grilled veggies or broccoli.
    I would really like to get to 125 but I maintained at 129 for quite a few months now.

As to the question about gluten; I am gluten intolerant. I started IP at 161 pounds but my long time adult weight was around 205. I lost the first 45 pounds slowly over 10 years by eliminating wheat from my diet. But I don't use processed gluten free products because they are made from rice usually and rice affects me just as badly as wheat.
    My other issue is that dairy gives me sinus infections so that's a complication.

Cap mentioned the blood type diet. I am type O. I'm from the east coast of Canada but our family is all Scottish since they came from Scotland 300 years ago until my kids and my nieces and nephews. So maybe not so strangely the only grain I can handle is oats, so yes oatmeal is an option.

Cap, so interesting on your observations on the Eskimo diet. Our genes seem to have everything to do with how our body handles food. I was working this year with a student who came from as far north as people live in Nunavut. So far north that her family didn't speak English when they were moved here because of trauma four years ago.

She is what we used to call Eskimo. They first thing that struck me was how her body was shaped differently than the aboriginal (Cree, Blackfoot etc) kids we work with.
    She was much shorter and rounder. The next thing I noticed was what incredible hair she has. So I mentioned her beautiful hair and asked her what she would normally eat when at home. Turned out it was mainly fish, seal and elk. Very little fruit and veggies. She said she has got heavier since she moved "south". She said it is because she eats all the stuff the other kids do at the fast food court.

I am going to have a very tough week, well actually my hubby is having it. He has been having many scans and tests since Christmas due to a cough that would not go away. It turns out he has lung cancer. But the good news is that it is totally encapsulated and the scan on the rest of his body came back all clear. So he will have very intensive surgery on Tuesday morning to have part of his lung removed.

I will be back and forth to the city and work while he is in the hospital there next week. So I will do phase 1 again for that week.
    The next week when he comes home I will work from home and will take another stab at phase 3. This time I will just add oatmeal and berries at breakfast and see how that goes.

I have been doing very well that I did not revert to emotional eating at all while going through this hard time.

We also had a crisis with my mom who lives on the other side of the country. She is 88 and passed out while my brother and sister in law happened to be visiting. It turns out that this has happened several times recently and she had not said anything to anyone.

She ended up in hospital and having a pacemaker installed. It has effected her cognitively as well.

Normally I would have been in Nova Scotia for March break giving my siblings a hand with my mom. She was living in her own condo. She would not let anyone in for home care etc. I was not able to go this year because of my husband's medical issues. Of course that is when the medical crisis occured.

It was a blessing in disguise as she has agreed to go into assisted living.

So if I didn't revert to emotional eating with all of this going on I think I will be able to work out going on to phase 3.

All your commentss really helped clarify my thinking on what is best to do. I will just enjoy my big hunks of meat and try to add in oatmeal and berries.

Also my rate of weight loss had really stalled several months into the program until I realized i needed more olive oil. So I guess I do need more oils and fats than most people.

Sorry for the long post.

Pat
  • Quote: I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I guess this is the section where the most experienced people are.

Pat
    Just heard back from my coach. There's nothing magical about grains, beyond the vitamins, minerals and fiber, so as long as you are getting those in your vegees or supplements, you should be fine. I'm sure there are plenty of people, who, for one reason or another, can not tolerate grains, and figure out a way to live healthy lives.

You might try getting stable in Phase 4, then experimenting with one grain at a time and see which one suits you best. Good luck!!!!

PS: Pat, I just read the last post. I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. For what it's worth, my Dad had lung cancer and they took out one lung and he lived for many years after that - at least 20. I'm really proud of you for handling all the stress so well.