Feather weight-lifters!

You're on Page 16 of 24
Go to
  • Thanks for posting those JossFit! I'll have to modify to go with what my gym offers, but that's a great start/idea for a circuit.

sontaikle Congrats on rocking a bikini at the beach!!! It's a HUGE victory!
  • Quote: Dreamer2012: Whatever weight you're lifting, you'd be well off looking for a beginner weight training program to go with. A little structure goes a long way with newbie results.

Also, no reason why you can't get started on bodyweight exercises now! I'm sure you can manage squats and lunges. As for pushups, check out this article below. Use the method described under #2 to make pushups easier and progress toward doing them on the floor. (Don't bother with the from-the-knee pushups described in #3!)
    http://www.stumptuous.com/mistressing-the-pushup
    Thank you for the link. It was a good read. I'm going to look into setting up a program for myself and include squats and lunges and try doing pushups. With the weight I'm using, I've gone for 12 sets to 15 then 18 and today I got to 20 with 20 reps. I definitely think it is helping me too and my weight.
  • Hey all!

What are your opinions on working out when sore? I lifted on Tuesday and ran 4 miles yesterday. I got up at 5:30am to lift today, but I was still pretty sore - my legs and butt were particularly stiff. I did some quick reading online that said lifting when sore can prevent the repair/muscle building process. Since it sounded like it might to more harm than good, I took the dog on a 4 mile walk instead. What do you think? And now my schedule is messed up! I'm supposed to run tomorrow, but now I might lift instead. At least I promised to do Zumba with my sister on Saturday morning!

In other news, I embarrassed a guy at the gym on Tuesday! He was not a body builder but not a scrawny guy either! He hopped on my leg press assuming he could do what I do, and couldn't! He was like "WHOA you lift some monster weight!" :-) (I was doing 4x10 at 340 ... Normally I'm more of a 3x8 person, but doing less reps/higher weight on the leg press is difficult on my knees.)
  • sontaikle: A bikini! You're livin' the dream, chick.

JossFit: Thanks from me, too, for the kettlebell stuff!

LovelyandLosing: If I'm mildly or moderately sore, I do usually work out anyway. I spend some extra time warming up, and I don't go all out. However, if I find that I seem to be sore all the time and am having to push through it on a regular basis, I figure that I'm not recovering well enough, and I either eat more or rest more, depending on my goals at the moment... (Or sleep more, which can be a major issue for me.)

Nice job with the leg press.
  • You are all rockstars, seriously!

Sontaikle YES! You rock that bikini, be proud! You look amazing

Jossfit Thank you for the kettlebell workout! I need to get some of my own. The gym has really weird increments, but I love them.

LovelyandLosing I work out through soreness. I stretch out really well before I start my working set and I'm usually fine .

I'm so stoked... I took some pictures in the gym mirror the other day and I see a baby bicep popping out! I lift heavy, but I have always had such a hard time building visible muscle. I'm giddy about it!

• NICE, ValRock!!!! I have trouble building visible muscle up top, too. My arms still look flabby in pictures where I'm not flexing.

I'm excited to hit the kettlebells tonight. My gym only has small ones - 5, 10, 15 and 20 pounds. Noob question: I have small and sweaty hands and the 20 pounders just slip out. Don't think they allow chalk. Barring "get gloves," any recommendations?
  • Quote: I have small and sweaty hands and the 20 pounders just slip out. Don't think they allow chalk. Barring "get gloves," any recommendations?
    Honestly chalk was my first recommendation, and gloves were my second! The only other thing I would say is to bring a little hand towel and give it a quick squeeze in between sets when your hands feel particularly sweaty.

LovelyAndLosing - I'm with Sumire and Valrock - I generally train anyway unless the soreness is nagging, in which case it means it's time for me to take a rest day.
    Today I was actually moderately sore from yesterday's CrossFit WOD and once I got moving it didn't bother me at all.
    (Which is odd that I was sore today because usually it takes 48 hours for me to reach DOMS... but I digress...)

-------------------------

You're welcome for the Kettlebell tips! I made up the WOD for our CrossFit class yesterday (the one the trainers had planned was cancelled because it was raining) so they let me come up with an indoor one. We did;
    60 burpees
    50 situps
    40 thrusters
    30 dips
    20 pullups
    10 handstand pushups

After that we did a circuit for abs; 30 crunches, 30 leg lifts, 30 side crunches on each side and repeated that 3 times for a total of 360 reps (plus the 50 situps in the WOD). I'm not at all sore from that... I need some seriously heavy weighted ab work to get sore there... I'm fine with that!

Anyway, I don't know how into CrossFit ya'll are, but it was a decent WOD and I knocked it out in about 15 minutes (not including abs). Give it a shot!
  • I have been concentrating on lower body exercises the past few weeks or so ;) I always felt that I was a bit lopsided (bigger on top) so I went all out! Today I noticed that I look a bit more balanced, and my waist looks smaller. Yay!!

Also THIS annoyed the crap out of me >:(

C'mon ladies! I think we could take on whoever wrote this article, right? ;)

JossFit - a cross fit gym opened up near me recently. I really want to try it out…I think I can finally afford it now :) Crossfit looks so awesome and my gym's classes just aren't cutting it anymore.

ValRock - You look awesome woman!

Krampus - I do what Joss says, wipe my hands if needed.
  • Quote: Also THIS annoyed the crap out of me >

C'mon ladies! I think we could take on whoever wrote this article, right?

JossFit - a cross fit gym opened up near me recently. I really want to try it out…I think I can finally afford it now Crossfit looks so awesome and my gym's classes just aren't cutting it anymore.
    Ugh, that article makes me angry! HULK SMASH! hahaha Honestly I think right now my arms are somewhere between Hilary Swank's and Cameron Diaz' in terms of definition, but closer to Jessica Biel in size. Oh, I'm all covered in tattoos though, so I guess I'm really gross.

Whatever.

Anyhoo, I don't belong to a CF gym because they ARE expensive... I just happen to be lucky and my Unit pays a contract for us to train in CF and combatives once a week. Aside from that, I just get online and look at the WODs and incorporate elements into my own workouts, hence "JossFit"
  • Quote: Anyhoo, I don't belong to a CF gym because they ARE expensive... I just happen to be lucky and my Unit pays a contract for us to train in CF and combatives once a week. Aside from that, I just get online and look at the WODs and incorporate elements into my own workouts, hence "JossFit"
    I just looked up the prices of the one near me. Totally not happening! It's wayyyy too expensive!
  • Ughhh that article. Obviously no one reading those magazines has ever lifted a weight in their life (if they did, they probably wouldn't read stupid body-shaming celebrity gossip trash).

Managed a set of 90 lbs on the lat pulldown yesterday. Slow but steady! This morning my boyfriend pointed out that there is a definition line down the front of my torso - I'm glad we're on the same side and he's not trying to keep me away from weights or shoving junk food at me. I hear so many horror stories on 3FC and from other women that their SOs are crazily insecure about their fitness/weight goals.

My roommate and I looking almost swole:

• Sontaikle - UGH at that article! I also hate the WOAHHH this celeb has cellulite article. So what? I work out, I am young and WOW I manage to have cellulite too. I openly admit it and some people say "no way" because I think that they have this idea that you have to be old or overweight or something.

Krampus - Looking LEAN!!! Is that an Asian glow I see?? haha

EDIT-I just realized that this is the weight lifting thread and not the Featherweights chat thread. Uhh I have to admit I only use 5-8 lb weights (but they are blue, not pink). Can I still post here? haha EMBARRASSING.
  • Krampus you look awesome! Your arms are really looking good too!

Okay, so apparently I shouldn't do heavy deadlifts more than once a week. I learned my lesson (either that or I need to build up some more strength). Ouch. My back doesn't like me right now.

Oh well, I've been doing handstand pushups lately and I REALLY like doing them.
  • WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Not leaning on anything, just supporting your own weight and balancing on your arms? You're amazing, sontaikle!
  • Quote: Okay, so apparently I shouldn't do heavy deadlifts more than once a week. I learned my lesson (either that or I need to build up some more strength). Ouch. My back doesn't like me right now.
    Ugh, THIS!!! ^^

My lower back hates me today. I decided yesterday would be a good day to try to PR deadlifts. I didn't (Grrrr) because I'm pretty run-down right now and very much in need of a break this weekend (Whoot whoot... VEGAS!!) and now my back hurts. Suckage on both counts.

The really crappy part is that was yesterday's workout, so the DOMS won't even REALLY hit me until tomorrow... when I have CrossFit. Awesome. Good thing I have a massage afterward.