Pancakes?

• It was suggested to make pancakes but I want to make mine healthyish but fun. I thought about adding hot cocoa mix (the sensible 25 calorie kind) and flaxseeds. I would add fruit but I'm trying not to eat any fruits. What do you add to your pancakes?
  • I've done sourdough pancakes for fun -- but it takes a long time to grow your own starter. The tastes is yum tho -- so worth it!

I've mixed up cornmeal in there so it is lemon-corn-blueberry pancakes

My kid is fond of scallion cake -- which is chinese but I consider pancake related.

You could take it over to crepes, blintz -- also pancake related.

A.
  • If you want a mix, Hodgeson Mill makes a great pancake mix with soy chips and flax seed. My kids love it and it's super nutritious for a pancake.

I still don't eat them but that's because I try to limit all wheat/rice carb stuff - even souped up ones.
  • I've never thought of sourdough pancakes! That sounds pretty cool!
  • I ate pancakes a few weeks ago and it reminded me of how I was in love with them. I would probably end up eating a couple small pancakes and saving the rest for another time so it'd be like a treat.
  • nothing wrong with that - I am just trying to be sure I keep my blood sugars in the good which is why I avoid those things. I'll be very curious how my blood tests come back in the next few weeks as I've been upping my carb intake quite a bit.
  • My current pancake alternative is 2 bananas, mashed and mixed with one egg, and a heaping tablespoon of almond butter. Probably not much help if you are avoiding fruit, but it tastes like banana bread.

You have to make them small or else they are impossible to flip. I top mine with a small amount of no sugar added blueberry jam.
  • I make Pumpkin Cottage Cheese Pancakes because I am obessed with pumpkin lately!
  • Would you give me the recipe for your pumpkin cottage pancakes? They sound so good... Thank you.
  • Here is the recipe I follow, but if you google them you can find all kinds of variations

http://www.fedsgetfit.gov/RecipeChal...r_Free_Syrup__
  • I'm a waffle girl, myself. I make sourdough waffles at least once a week for the kids (they are so good they don't need anything else, just a fresh waffle hot off the stove is heaven!) and recently I've been leaving the sweetener out and making savory waffles which we put chicken pie filling on top of. That's pretty much my favorite meal right now - I cook the chicken and veggies in the crockpot so it's fast and easy, lots of veggies, and I get a waffle too!