Best Birth Control?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • First and foremost I hope this doesn't violate the "Divisive Topics" rules of the forum; I sincerely do not mean to incite riots or hurt feelings.

I'm wondering what experience 3FC chicks have with finding a good birth control. I am in a monogamous relationship and neither of us want kids. We find condoms mutually unpleasant and I have heard horror stories about every form of hormonal BC. I've taken triphasic BC pills on and off for years and eventually they made me an emotional wreck who recoiled in disgust at a loving touch.

I'm not willing to compromise my mental health and relationship for the sake of preventing pregnancy, but I don't want to end up at Planned Parenthood every other month or take morning after pills all the time. Does anyone have any "success" stories with BC? At times it seems like every option is terrible.
  • It is very much a trial and error to find what works for you. You may consider an IUD. There are both hormonal and non hormonal options available. Many doctors will not insert into a woman unless she has given birth before but this is incorrect. It can be done but may be slightly more uncomfortable (maybe worse than a pap by a tad?)

I have issues with every form of birth control but the best was Paragard copper IUD. My sister uses the Mirena. I liked the option of an IUD because I'm forgetful and often miss pills.

The clear downside to an IUD is the upfront cost. After insurance mine was about $125 which equaled what I'd pay a year in birth control anyway. The plus to that initial cost is they last 5-10 years depending on the type you get. If you don't have the money for that, you may have to "test" out several pill/ring options.
  • But don't most IUDs use hormones too? I would use the IUD except for this. I haven't ever used hormones and don't plan to.

There's the diaphragm too. My husband and I used to use those and then during the fertile 4-5 days would use the condom as well to be doubly sure.

Though, I found that the diaphram made me less likely to reach orgasm. i think it covered up too much tissue inside or something.

We have always used condoms as birth control, but I know it's not for everyone.

Good luck to you.
  • The copper-T (Paragard) IUD is nonhormonal.

Quote: IUD.... Many doctors will not insert into a woman unless she has given birth before but this is incorrect. It can be done but may be slightly more uncomfortable (maybe worse than a pap by a tad?)
    A tad? MMV.

The single most painful experience of my life up to that time, and I'm including minor broken bones.

And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
  • I think that's something only you guys can answer for yourselves because only you know what is on the table now (STD prevention? Pregnancy prevention?) and what may come later. (Bio children yes or no? Other health considerations?)

We used both monophasic BCP and condoms when we were dating. Exerimented with spermicides but it was messy to me.

After we were settled into a committed relationship, the condoms disappeared and it was just BCP. (I do badly on triphasic ones, monophasic is fine.) Short break to TTC and chart to CONCEIVE and have the kid, then back BCP for a few years.

Right now I'm on a BCP break again so I can do labs without those in the way of my hormone panel. So it's back to condoms we go and charting to AVOID to be sure. Once we both clear our check up things we need to do, it's vasectomy time since we're done having children.

Here's an overview of types
    http://www.plannedparenthood.org/hea...ntrol-4211.htm

HTH!
    A.
  • Like you, I was VERY apprehensive about using BC. My biggest fears were emotional instability (like the horror you described!) and weight gain. After talking about it with the gyno, she prescribed Loestrin 24, which is a low hormone dosage BC. I was on it for 3 years and LOVED it. It reduced all my awful PMS symptoms (bloating, cramping, *****iness, etc) and even subdued my horrible intense 3 day bleeding to 1 day of light bleeding. I continued to lose and maintain my weight while using Loestrin.

After those 3 years, I lapsed in making my annual gyno appoint bc I was not in a relationship and was tired of taking a pill everyday. Due to other stresses, I kept forgetting to take the pill on time or would occasionally miss a day. So in my next gyno appoint, I asked for the Ortho Evra patch instead. While it does help subdue my PMS symptoms, it is not as good as Loestrin. But for now, I find the convenience of applying a patch monthly makes up for having to take a daily pill. Neither the pill or patch has hindered my weight loss journey at all.

Good luck in finding the right BC option for you!!
  • I have not heard anything good about triphasic pills either.

I used to be on Ortho Evra and loved it. My only complaint was that I kept developing some minor skin irritation from the glue.
  • i cannot use hormonal forms at all - one single shot of depo--provera shot left me seriously depressed, weight-gained, and with a period that lasted 9 solid months. my bff had norplant - but nobody warned her about anti-anxiety medication knocking them out so she wound up pregnant anyway (they asked if she was taking "the pill", to which she naturally answered "no" and that was that).

the IUD didn't work for me, either, but that's likely because i'm prolapsed.

have you thought of using the sponge or the diaphragm?

if you *truly* never want children, what about tubal ligation? if it's his, there are ways around it at a later date should you change your mind that are less risky and expensive than if you have it done yourself.
  • Quote: The copper-T (Paragard) IUD is nonhormonal.

A tad? MMV.

The single most painful experience of my life up to that time, and I'm including minor broken bones.

And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    Yes, a tad. I didn't find it that uncomfortable and those that I know who've had it done without birthing a child compared it to a pap smear but of a more concentrated intensity. Sorry you had a bad experience but mine was not the same.

But yes, the Paragard is the non hormonal IUD as MariaMaria stated.
  • I used the nuvaring for over a year after a horrible hormonal fiasco with the pill. It worked very well for me, very little side effects...unfortunately I began to feel it during intercourse (making it uncomfortable) so I am switching to the patch next cycle, fingers crossed...
  • Quote:
    I used to be on Ortho Evra and loved it. My only complaint was that I kept developing some minor skin irritation from the glue.
    Same here.... although the irritation usually go away a day after the patch is removed. I also can't put it on my arms anymore bc it got really itchy in those spots. I like placing it on my upper buttocks now.

Not sure if I would continue the patch in a relationship though. I think it detracts from one's nudity, lol! I'd probably suck it up and go back to taking the daily Loestrin pill at that point.

A friend who used the NuvaRing had the same issue with it being noticeable to her partner during intercourse.
  • My husband and I practice natural family planning as condoms were uncomfortable for us both, the pill gave me headaches, and nuva ring was expensive. NFP has been effective for us and has no side effects, but it does force you to be close and personal with your body and you have to abstain from sex during fertile days.
  • you could possibly get a copper IUD, which is a bit pricy, but also hormone free. the downside is a lot of doctors won't put in an IUD if you have not had a baby already. the opening of the cervix is often too narrow to insert the IUD without pain. i asked about that when looking for a non-hormonal birth control solution. she told me to check into condoms and diaphragms. i said "no thank you" on the mess factor.

my doctor put me on yasmin because of my PCOS saying it worked in 2 ways (birth control and PCOS symptom relief) and had a lower dose hormone. eh. i've had no problems with it in the time i've been on it, i just worry about how long it will stay in my system once i go off of it. she gave me a big spill about why it was a good option for me, but judging by all the product placement items (note pads, pens, etc) with yaz and yasmin on it at the office, i think they get paid for prescribing it.

good luck in finding something that works for you and your S.O.
  • I no longer can have babies, hubby got a vasectomy, but I was having VERY heavy periods and my doctor recommended Mirena IUD. I had had a C-section with my daughter so I hadn't delivered vaginally. I agree with MariaMaria, it was VERY painful. I actually pushed out the speculum! LOL The doctor hadn't seen that one before! I still would do it again, as I am one of those lucky ones who doesn't have a period with this particular BC. I'm 50 now and it will be time to replace this year, and I will definately do that. After that maybe it won't be necessary anymore.
  • I've been taking beyaz for about a year and don't have mood swings at all. I've had absolutely no problems with it. It treats PMDD, that's probably why I don't have mood swings. I've had no side effects from it. Before that I was on YAZ and was fine with that as well. I loved them both, but it's a pill and it's hormonal.