Recently Diagnosed as an OE

• Hi All,

I recently came to the realization that much of my weight gain (50 pounds in 6 months) is due to overeating. I went for my physical yesterday and my doctor recommended OA.

An example of yesterday's diet:

Breakfast: 2 scrambled Eggs - 9a
    Lunch: WW Frozen Entree - 1p

Snack (binge): 12 mini cupcakes (ate frosting off top) - 5:30p

Dinner: Chicken Breast sandwich w American Cheese and Lays Potato Chips - 6:30p

Binge: 9p - 10p
    Lays Potato Chips (1 1/2 oz)
    Sunchips French Onion ( 1 1/2 oz)
    Mexican Rice with added shredded cheese (2 servings)
    String Cheese
    Several Handfuls of cheez-its

How do I avoid these binges? Anyone have any ideas?
  • You may find structure useful. Something like 3 planned meals and 2 planned snacks spaced out. The food you mentioned above looks like you are not eating enough whole food and then fall into a binge mode. Amping up your vegetable intake, having a balance of protein, carb and good fat at each meal & snack will help a lot with the physical cravings. As to the emotional side - have you tried an OA meeting? It is a 12 step program where you basically admit that you are addicted to food and then attend meetings, get a sponsor and work the 12 steps. It also provides a support network for when a seemingly irisistable craving hits.
  • If you eat little for breakfast and little for lunch, then you will go overboard. Try to pack your meals with salad and fruit, with soup and diet drinks, and you won'r feel that deprived. Another thing you can do is go low carb for a while to diminish your cravings. Exploring your emotions and getting to know why you are overeating is really important too. Hope everything goes well!!!! Good luck!!!
  • Protein! Yes eggs have protein but you need more than just eggs, like the others have said. Instead of 2 eggs maybe have a slide of whole wheat bread with a slice of ham, cheese and egg on it. (That's one of my breakfasts) Also be careful on the sodium. Check and see how much sodium is in the WW meals...most likely you'll be blown away because I was! Again like the others have said add more fruit or veggies. Pick a diet you want to do and stick with it! I'm a calorie counter and it works for me. Whatever you go with stick to it as much as possible! Good luck with everything and there is so much support here it's awesome!
  • Thank you so much for the advice! One thing I noticed is I need a more structured meal plan and yesterday although I ate better (no binges) - I only had one piece of fruit. My goal will be to incorporate a fruit or veggie into every meal.

Thanks for the support!
  • You need the 12 steps. Period. When you work the steps that's when people recover. I've admitted dieting has never been a permanent solution for me. When I'd lose the weight I was still obsessed with food. OA is about recovering from that obsession and freeing yourself spiritually, then your body will follow. I really encourage you to attend some f2f meetings
  • More protein, more even spacing of your meals and snacks (pre-plan for the week, if possible). I agree with others here who believe that you have not given yourself enough nourishment throughout the day and that might be what prompts you to binge.

If you feel the urge to binge, drink water (regular or carbonated) or exercise first, and see if it makes your craving go away or diminish so you are less likely to give in.

Late night snacking is an easy trap to fall into. Do you have a sponsor at OA that you can call to talk to if you're about to give in? Sometimes, just saying it aloud makes you rethink it. Do you have a regular bed-time? Sometimes, ritualizing your day helps to keep order and prevent indulging.