The Royal Sashay through 2012

You're on Page 8 of 18
Go to
  • Day 157!!! Woot!
    And the beat goes on!

Wsw, huzzah! I love Rule #6, too! It's pretty much the only one that really counts.

Thanks for the congrats on my recent downage, hopin' for another one on Sunday.

Huzzah also to all royals near and far wherever they are, following a star or wanderin' or workin' or dreamin' or sleepin' or lurkin' right here in the cozy palace or somewhere else. Anyhow lol ...

Am2 be Verra logy or somethin' this mornin' ... went walkin' with a few neighbors but it was short, kind of glad. Now off to get supplies then work tonight unless they cancelled the meeting, which for some reason I think they might do, just a crazy hunch o' mine. But t'will be an easy meeting either way and I wander now with a shield of bein' on track with the calorie count and exercise and HAVE THE MOJO to continue. The little click in the head has happened on gettin' these 14 regainy pesky poundages OFF and I'm goin' do it by MY GOAL DAY or ON MY GOAL DAY! Yay!

THURSDAY: July 26, 2012, Day 305 of streakity streak of no day missed of daily exercise, 30 min walk, total streakity streak minutes so far 23,085 (Previous: 288 consecutive days of exercise, 18000 exercise minutes!)
  • We here at in the Empire o' Am2 The New held a wee meetin' with the Gotta Increase The Weights Again Committee this mornin'!!!

Have been losin mojo on doin' weights for awhile but the mojo was seen in the forest this mornin' just beyond the edge o' the village. (Okay, we live in a desert metropolis here but in our mind there is a forest and there is a village AND well, we are startin' to feel verra medieval now that autumn and one o' our favorite holidays, Halloween, is on the horizon. Okay, it is not on the horizon, but it IS just around the corner and there is a rainbow in the sky, so we WON'T have another cuppa coffee and we WON'T have another piece o' pie, but we are feelin' happy and focused on getting these dang pounds OFF OFF OFF)!!!

Not gonna do it if all the muscles bonk!

So anyway, the streakity is thus:

FRIDAY: July 27, 2012, Day 306 of streakity streak of no day missed of daily exercise, 30 min weights, total streakity streak minutes so far 23,115 (Previous: 288 consecutive days of exercise, 18000 exercise minutes!)
  • Day 155! I am beginning to wonder about my brain ... I got up WAY before sunrise to beat the heat as I thought this was the day I would do the virtual race I am registered for online. The site running the event is featuring this week's races and there are prizes and I love the virtual race event because there are no crowds but you get to participate and feel like you are competing but only with yourself really. So I had signed up for the 5K walk/run virtual event and did it in slighly less than an hour, a good time for me, although there are certainly others who can do that much quicker lol. And this is not a function of my aging. I freely state that I am a slow runner (I ran 90 percent of my session, listening to the album I downloaded of the music for the Olympic opening ceremony, quite a nice album). ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE WEEK TO DO THE RACE IN STARTS TOMORROW! Lol, s'ok, calling this a practice run.

So grateful thoughts: I am grateful I like, make that LOVE, to exercise. I don't know how such a klutz, stiff, sore and joint challenged, held together by titanium (only one arm lol) and non-athletic person as myself has been so blessed to be able to still be moving around and having so much fun with it but I am grateful for that mojo.
  • Checking in!
    OK -- back in the Palace. It's been a mad, mad whirl. Here's the short version:

My son broke up with his GF of six years and moved to another province to help his dad get the family electric company restarted. It all came about very suddenly -- the possibility had been spoken of, for both events, but it all happened within a week once the decisions were made. He'd originally thought he'd be going only temporarily.

I've been spoiled, to have him in the same town. I know a lot of mothers have to deal with their kids being much farther away but I have to admit, I'm sad. And I'm in the mode where I'm hanging with my feelings instead of smothering them with cinnamon rolls, so feeling sad a lot.

Celebrated my 57th a week ago Wednesday, had really a great day/night. I worked until 1, then went to the beach for a shamanistic rite, swam in the ocean. Came back in town just in time to get cleaned up and go out to my sister's for a dance party. We danced outside on the deck under the stars until 1:30.

Then last weekend was DH's family reunion, with relatives coming from all over North America. We did a potluck one night and then another evening of dancing. The next night we gave them dinner -- seafood extravaganza with lobster, oysters, mussels. We had fun but I think I'm still recovering -- lots of work. Also had my mom with us and she takes a little looking after because her mobility/stamina isn't that great.

Of course I wanted to have 50 pounds off for this reunion and instead I'm about 20 more than I was for the last one. And there were pictures to prove it. At least this time I was prepared, more or less, for how I looked.

Work has been better. I've actually started to get ahead on stuff. I've got realistic goals for production and, as long as I'm ahead of where I need to be, I can escape the desk from time to time. It's been pretty freeing. I've only actually made it out to the cottage once but I'm hoping to make up for that in August.

I'm getting to hot yoga a few times a week, getting my 10k steps most days. Food has been good in an unstructured kind of way. No binges, no overeating. Mostly very healthy.

*yawn* That's enough about me -- I'm boring myself. Going to sign off and then catch up and respond.

• WSW, so sorry to hear of the death of your friend!

So with you on the sleep thing. I had a week or so where I was falling asleep easily, even in circs. that usually have me lying awake. Seems to be over. Woke up at 3:30 this a.m., which is why I made it into the palace. Sometimes I'm OK on five hours or so but when that crushing fatigue hits -- oh yes, just seems like I don't have the strength/focus not to turn to food. When, really, what I should do is rest. Trying, still, always, to train myself to give me what I need. That's surely something for me to remember today.

Anagram, oh yeah... funks and solar flares. Must remember to look that up and see what I can find out. I've lost hard-fought ground over the last year, too, not letting myself "see" it until I couldn't miss it.

Re: self-indulgence -- on some level, I was doing that without letting myself realize it would cause weight gain. How? How do I manage to get that deep into denial? I would never say I'd given up but my behavior was another story.

A lot of celery? Tell me more!

Amarantha, you never fail to impress with your constant perseverence. Royal in the extreme! And your amazing weight loss and maintenance! Yay for the triumphant return to the 130s!

Love the idea of the virtual race!

Kaylets, that "feeling better" buzz is something, isn't it? I must get me some of that. DH has been on vacation so I've been a bit off schedule but starting tomorrow, I'm going to work on making this life thing work better for me.

I haven't weighed in in a while and am putting it off too. What I usually do is try and figure out what I might weigh until I'm more or less prepared and then bite the bullet. Not sure when I'll get there.

Love the daily tiara plan!

K, I'm off to have some steel-cut oats w. yogurt. Have a fantastic Sunday, Queenlies!
  • Love to read the inspirational posties. Empress keeps inspiring me as does wsw. Loss of friend can realliy be a down period. Lost 50 year friend in March and still missing her dreadfully even though we didn't see each other often. Just knowing she was there was often enough - I knew I could vent to her if I needed to and so it was sort of a virtual vent.

Relating too to Kaylets as she continues on her road to - what - not recovery because I don't think I'm there yet - maybe "adjustment".

And my soul sister Arabella - how our moods can so coincide so often when we are so many miles apart is indeed an interesting mystery to me. But your life and activities sound so much more interesting than mine. Guess I should more reevaluate to where my life was at the young age of 57 - belated Happy Birthday!
  • Now the ME Me part.

I think I'm buying a house today. Long efforts of negotiation, thinking, etc. Offering, coiunteroffering. It is smaller than what I have now (but still bigger than I t hink I need) - it does accommodate a lot of "iffy" things like more room for my kids/a basement for storage of stuff if they want to pack and move it, etc.

DD involved in recent times and being a bit of her steamroller self but I'm realizing this is how she cares. Not that she has no other demands on her time (she shouild be so lucky). DS pretty silent on whole thing but says he appreciates updates. Princess 1 says she'll (and 2) will be traumatized but will adjust if I move to the place they've been for (yep, that's the one - think they have influence?). However, she was sweet enoiugh to offer me her "birthday Money" to help w/expenses.

For a while I'll be putting out a lot of money as mine won't be on market for a while and then I'm sure it will take ages but for the right young family I'm sure I can be flexible.

Anyway, that's been my story - I've been officially looking for about five months. Still feel I couild walk away and stay here but it's the next step as I feel I want to be around a long time and I can manage better once I've moved to one story place w/snow/yard maintenance, etc. Close to where I live now too which means I can hold onto some of my "old" life more easily.

Also in the development where DH had decided (w/moi agreement, of course) that we would buy. It was only 3 weeks before his surgery so I suggested we wait and consider until after he recuperated. Since he never really did, what a wise decision.

I did sort of resist looking there after I checked back in a few years ago and found costs had risen so much. However, economy being what it's been and all the resales are slower and this seller was asking for ridiculous price and I think I've been the only bidder he's had.

Exciting in a way or two - melancholy in many ways - maybe I'll feel more "up" about my new home once I've committed - have today to decide. I had backed off after I didn't like their last offer - I had more than met them halfway. Once I did that, they met my last offer. Been good for the old brain - a benefit in itself.

I'm determined to do this one step at a time - otherwise I'll never manage. Might go out today and buy some new laundry baskets or something. Useful in moving but also a "new" purchase for my "new" home. Once I commit, I will start calling it "home' - not house so I'm trying it out on my Palace Peeps.

A Royal Sunday - all.
  • Oh, re the celery - I always finds it works as a diuretic for me when I'm retaining too much salt weight. Plus I love the crunch. So if I've overindulged, esp. over more than a one day binge, celery is my first choice of "antidote" - that and exercise.
  • Wootness and salutations to Anagram and Arabella (the two As)!!!

Arabella, sorry to hear ye are sad re the move of your DS. I can imagine how that would be hard to get used to. Hugs! And Happy Belated Birthday!

With ye on the sleep issue. I am always sleep challenged.

Anagram: Hope the house deal goes well for you today or that it has ALREADY gone well as I type this!! Woot! That is such exciting news.

Love the idea of calling it "home" at the moment of commitment! What a good idea to buy laundry baskets as a practical symbol of this new commitment.

Huzzah!

Wish I liked celery. I do if it is cooked and in a dish but not raw. I wonder if cooking it in with other food would also make it a diuretic. I did not know it had that property.
  • Er, more verbage ...
    Day 154! What joy there was in Am2 Land when was held the Sacred Ceremony o' the Golden Scale and lo the Scale Angels came out in full force and effect and Am2 did herself step on that golden scale and see that SHE HAD LOST ANOTHER .8 POUND! This may be sllllloooooowwww and Am2 hath now become the TORTOISE O' WEIGHT LOSS LAND, but truly she is verra pleased because this represents SIX WEEKS OF CONSECUTIVE WEIGHT LOSS, a little at a time, but the elevator is GOING DOWN nevertheless!

Another fun thingie today was that A did again do a 5k, this time for the official virtual race. She did a practice one yesterday. Her time today was exactly the same as the practice yesterday. She is happy with that and had fun:

SUNDAY: July 29, 2012, Day 308 of streakity streak of no day missed of daily exercise, 55 min run/walk (for time for the virtual race, a slow but I like it anyway 55:13 for the 5K, basically I run/walk from a 15 to 20 minute mile, have for a long time, pure running is a little faster but I'm the Penguin (not our DT Pengii, but the running Penguin, John Bingham, running journalist and famous back of the pack guru), 5 min dynamic stretch, 20 min walk (not for time), total streakity streak minutes so far 23,255 (Previous: 288 consecutive days of exercise, 18000 exercise minutes!)

'Bout covers it! Avanti!
  • Did indeed buy my new home today. Not feeling elated though but sad at the impending leaving of my home for 43 years. Tomorrow I'll look only forward. Have started the requisite lists.

Congratulations, Empress A, on the six week streak of losses. Thou rulest!

Meant to comment too on you DSs move, Arabella. Even when it's for the good, it's a loss. I'm still missing bro who moved two years ago and is very happy and successful in his new place. While a bro, he is 17 years younger than I and in lots of ways I functioned as a "third parent" for many years. I've seen him twice in the interim and we're always in touch but not having him 20 minutes away has created a void in my life. Esp. since my own two children live 2 hours or more away. Even when my DS travels (which he does a lot), I feel a bit lost that he's not two hours away. And you've been accustomed to that closeness. DGS, though, will be staying, no? (I've assumed he's w/his Mom since you mentioned her a fair amount.) Would be worse to lose both (though not a total loss - loss of proximity).
  • Fresh start Monday!
    OK -- calling this Day 1 for: Renewed committment to getting my 10K steps a day, hot yoga most days, sitting at the table to eat. Support mechanisms for the above include: Making sure I get some fun and some time to relax each and every day.

We're into the last week of rehearsal for Faure's Requiem. It's beautiful but not quite the thrill that Carmina Burana was last year. The director also stops and starts us at seemingly random spots throughout rather than letting us sing through so -- just not quite as satisfying an experience as last year. Nevertheless, my technique is improving a lot and I'm picking up more about reading music, so... glad I'm doing it.

I realized a few days ago that when I told DS to just bundle all the clothes in the spare room closet to give to charity, I'd actually hung both my performance skirts in there -- a Ralph Lauren linen one for summer and a long straight wool one for winter, both black, so they also did funeral duty. Ah well. Back to the second-hand shop where I got the Lauren one and picked up something that will do, although it's going to be a mite warm for summer. Might still see if I can pick up something lighter.

OHMYGOSH ANAGRAM! Wow, that's big, big news. What a major life event! It must feel pretty unsettling. But then there'll be the thrill of the new along with missing some things and it sounds like it will be much less work/worry. I'm glad you managed to stay in your same area! That was a v. sweet offer from the young princess -- my princeling would do similar: express his discomfort and then offer to help.

Yes, DGS is still here and seems to be comforted by the idea of visiting his dad in NB. I do think this is good for DS and that he'll thrive. It would be nice if the path to getting the business started up was not too bumpy.

Amarantha, big congrats on the 5k and the pound loss -- really, .8 is pretty much a whole one, don't you think? I do.

I'm still not on the scale but thinking what I should probably do is set a date for myself to get back on. Why I ever let myself stop, I don't know. Yes, it's true that I can gain 6 pounds overnight, depending on carbs/salt/sugar but those pounds will go away. If I don't weigh in regularly, I'm pretty much bound to gain. How many times have I demonstrated it? Ugh.

You are such an inspiration! Shall endeavor to emulate.

K, lies. I'm planning to plow through some work between now and noon tomorrow and get to the beach tomorrow afternoon. Let's make this a good one!
  • Woot!
    Congratulations on the new house purchase, Anagram!!! While I say congratulations, I do indentify with the ambivalence of being sad in saying good-bye to something (or someone) while looking forward to all the future holds. Glad you are starting a lot of lists. That is what always makes me excited about things, making lists.

Thanks for the congrats on my six weeks of weight loss streak. Hopin' to make that seven weeks lol.

Arabella, I love Carmina Burana, how wonderful to have performed it. Love your list of commitment renewals and the support for that of making sure you have fun and relax time.

Lol, yes, I DO think .8 is pretty much a pound. If we had never known digital scales, it would have been a pound. But I am SO happy with it, whatever it is, because it is in the right direction.

Re the 5K, thanks. I am going to do more virtual ones and then maybe do one live here in the winter. I used to love races but it they are always very hot and crowded here and I am not as much into being hot and crowded as before lol.

Sayin' a HOWDY from Arizona to all royals, mentioned or un- ... see ye in the palace or hither or yon in cyberspace or memory or charitable thoughts or, who knows, but hope all are enjoyin' their lives this day as I am (sort of ) enjoyin' mine, trying day or not.

Anyhow, it has been a long, angst ridden Monday and t'is still daylight! Not that any too major problems have come up, just dealing with a few issues, now need time to relax! Have had dinner except for the coconut fruit bar.

I SO love coconut. Makes life worth living

This is Day 153! Kind o' brain dead so shall just say good-night, Gracie and post the streakity.

Good-night, Gracie!

MONDAY: July 30, 2012, Day 309 of streakity streak of no day missed of daily exercise, 30 min walk, total streakity streak minutes so far 23,285 (Previous: 288 consecutive days of exercise, 18000 exercise minutes!)
  • Just a flyby on day 152, still verra logy and sleepy today but need to go get some supplies so did weights and then went to the trail with a friend just to walk!

Streakity streak be thusly:

TUESDAY: July 31, 2012, Day 310 of streakity streak of no day missed of daily exercise, 30 min walk, 45 min weights, total streakity streak minutes so far 23,360 (Previous: 288 consecutive days of exercise, 18000 exercise minutes!)
  • Day 151, had a kind of up and down day, bought a lot o' shoes lol.

WEDNESDAY: August 1, 2012, Day 311 of streakity streak of no day missed of daily exercise, 60 min walk, 15 min pilates, total streakity streak minutes so far 23,435 (Previous: 288 consecutive days of exercise, 18000 exercise minutes!)

Doing a little Pilates challenge for August that kind of amounts to adding 15 minutes of Pilates twice a week to my regular stuff. I have a countdown but am confusing self with too many countdowns.

Hope all are well.